65 replies to this topic

#31 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,516 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

yeah i get the same thing. minus the emails i guess but i still see stuff spilling all over facebook from the same posse of usual suspects who literally do not know how to think.

i have friend who i used to go to church with that's a christmas knight who makes it his personal mission to spend christmas cheer whether you like it or not, and whenever he's at a store and someone says "happy holidays" he pauses, looks them in the eye, says "...merry christmas." and leaves.

I have a family member who is very similar. If we are out shopping and someone says Happy Holidays, she is quick to say Merry Christmas with a tude. The worst is when someone does say Merry Christmas, because then a conversation ensues about how wonderful it is that they are saying, Merry Christmas and how terrible people are for saying Happy Holidays. From talking to these people they'd lead you to think the world is falling apart, simply because people are trying to be respectful and thoughtful of all people not just one subset of the human race.

#32 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,395 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

People that get upset about things like that should simply say thank you and ask the person if they understood the origin of the word holiday.

The etymology of the word comes from "holy day". So...fellow christians...if it upsets you...simply respond with a "well Happy holy days to you too" and be done with it.

#33 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,724 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

People that get upset about things like that should simply say thank you and ask the person if they understood the origin of the word holiday.

The etymology of the word comes from "holy day". So...fellow christians...if it upsets you...simply respond with a "well Happy holy days to you too" and be done with it.

that reminds me of spats I hear now and then about how spelling X-mas is a deliberate attempt to take the CHRIST out of CHRISTMAS when in reality the letter X was the Greek letter Chi and used for centuries as a representative of Christians, giving Christmas a convenient shorthand form

or maybe I just know a lot more crazies than you guys do

#34 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,395 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

What pisses everyone off is how a lot of companies' HR departments handle things like this. They create policies to use the happy holidays meme when everyone knows what it's about. Putting up a tree with ornaments, etc (regardless of the ancient origin of the tree) and calling it a holiday tree. It's really just a backhanded insult to anyone's intelligence, but required in the corporate world...or "hostile work environment" might be thrown about.

#35 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,622 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

War on women
War on Christmas
War on drugs
War on terrorism
War in poverty

I love media sound bytes. all of our so called "wars" seem to increase whatever the fight is against.

#36 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,666 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Yeah the solution to someone wishing you well is to be a passive aggressive asshole.

#37 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,395 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Pot/kettle...meet thread.

#38 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

I'm a Christian and I'm bothered by the fact that many are prevented from saying Merry Christmas, I'm also bothered than people are offended by hearing it. If someone were to tell me happy Shabbat or Ramahdan it wouldn't bother me.

People are too eager to press their views on others and all this PC crap is just sad.

I don't think Christians should reduce Christmas to X-mas, but I don't reall care what non-Christians do.

#39 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,724 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Posted Image

#40 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,395 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Isn't that cute. What year is this...

#41 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,516 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm a Christian and I'm bothered by the fact that many are prevented from saying Merry Christmas, I'm also bothered than people are offended by hearing it. If someone were to tell me happy Shabbat or Ramahdan it wouldn't bother me.

People are too eager to press their views on others and all this PC crap is just sad.

I don't think Christians should reduce Christmas to X-mas, but I don't reall care what non-Christians do.

I like to be thoughtful of people. My wish to someone is applicable to them not me.

-I tell people idk Happy Holidays
-People that I KNOW are Christians Merry Christmas
-Jews I tell Happy Hanukkah

Why would my wish to them be about me?? It's like going around on my birthday and telling everyone Happy Birthday. Seems foolish

#42 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,952 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

I like to be thoughtful of people. My wish to someone is applicable to them not me.

Why would my wish to them be about me?? It's like going around on my birthday and telling everyone Happy Birthday. Seems foolish

This is what I tell people...

Posted Image

#43 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Posted Image

hahahahaha

#44 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,625 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

I agree and fighting about this goes against some of the foundational tenets of Christianity. What happened to patience, love, kindness, forgiveness and turning the other cheek?

#45 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Isn't that cute. What year is this...

I hope you see the irony in your question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com