#1 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Where do ACC teams go?

My guess given what we already know to be fact. B1G wants AAU, SEC on team per state, Big?? need markets in Fla, Ga:

B1G: UNC, UVA- Northern leaning academics in control of move
SEC: VaTech, State- VaTech, UT, State, USC in a pod. Badass.

Big??: FSU, Clemson, GaTech, Duke, Miami, Louisville Market in all big population southern states.

Duke taken for National Bball brand to team with KU

So all the yankee schools and Wake are left out.

#2 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

ACC isn't going anywhere and neither is UNC. They just added Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Louisville for crying out loud.

#3 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

ACC is the new Big East to Notre Dame. Only a member in olympic sports but no split with football money? Not going to help.

#4 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

ACC is okay for a while Notre Dame playing 5 games each year against conference teams will help ratings, which will bring in additional money eventually. And just as important, Notre Dame will fill stadiums when they come to town.

And they will have Maryland's 50 million. It wasn't mentioned much in the press, but the ACC launched a lawsuit against Maryland to get the entire 50 million, and that lawsuit was supported by all the University presidents. If FSU or one of the other teams was considering leaving, I doubt they would have supported the lawsuit.

But who knows what will happen 5-10 years or more down the road? The way things are going, a few years down the road, Soccer could replace football as the number one sport and then the ACC would be in great shape. :)

#5 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

I hadn't heard about FSU's support of the lawsuit. That should stop the bleeding for a while.

#6 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

No way Maryland pays $50 million. Will be between $20- $25 mil.

#7 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

No way Maryland pays $50 million. Will be between $20- $25 mil.

It will be up to a judge.

But Maryland agreed to abide by the conference rules and those rules state that all the schools will obey rules approved by the school presidents. The exit fee was passed, so it should be binding. All the other presidents seem to agree with that. And from what I have read, most seem to think Maryland will have to pay the fee. If the conference that can't count is that well off, maybe they can loan Maryland the money to pay the exit fee.

The fact that Maryland thought it would be able to skirt this ACC bylaw has been one of the most head-scratching developments of the season. How? How could such a financially struggling program find a loophole -- or a check -- big enough to actually make this happen? The ACC is sending a message loud and clear with this lawsuit -- you leave, you pay. It’s that simple.

With the exception obviously of Maryland, every single one of the ACC presidents unanimously agreed to this lawsuit – including North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Clemson … and any other school you want to add to the conference realignment rumor mill. You think the presidents would endorse this move if they were going to be the next to challenge it? Doesn’t make a bit of sense.

Not only were all 11 current ACC presidents in favor of it, but Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Notre Dame also endorsed their support of the lawsuit, according to a league source. That sign of solidarity is a strong step towards reiterating future stability in the league, and it proves the conference believes its exit fee is non-negotiable. ACC officials believe it is a legally binding agreement, and they tend to use Maryland to prove it.

I hate to see a original member leave the conference, but in reality Louisville for Maryland is an upgrade to the conference. Louisville's football and basketball programs are in far better shape, their athletic department budget is the second biggest in the conference after UNC, and they are more competently managed. On the academic side, they are ranked a little lower than Maryland, but the ACC has enough excellent academic institutions that adding them won't be much of a problem.

#8 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

I'm still shocked the ACC would take on Louisville's academics.

Hell back in CUSA v1, the CUSA schools took the steps to kick Louisville out of the conference because of its piss poor academics and student athlete graduation rate...and none of the CUSA v1 schools were really academic powerhouses themselves.

That said, Louisville is absolutely an upgrade over Maryland.

#9 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

ACC is the new Big East to Notre Dame. Only a member in olympic sports but no split with football money? Not going to help.

The way things are going I think Notre Dame will be forced to join in football too.

#10 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I hope youre right because I like the ACC and the regional rivalries we have, but with Notre Dames refund glory they will look to stay independent simply because they can..

#11 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

ND will never join a conference in football. There is no incentive for them. They just made it to the title game being an independent, and the new playoff system will make it even easier for a good ND team to not be left out of the discussion. As long as ND has a home for its non-revenue sports, and some conference (currently the ACC, but could be someone else in the future) will always welcome those sports, they will remain independent.

#12 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Two thing ND just bought themselves another 10 years as Independent with them going to the BCS Championship.

Second Maryland voted against the new Buyout. So they can argue that and win.

#13 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

realignment might be over with right now. B1G and the SEC is the only Conferences making moves right now. Big XII is sitting back enjoying their payouts and dont want to split it with another team unless it is a major team. Pac 12 has no one they can grab at the moment.

#14 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,985 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

i saw an interesting arcticle on nytimes or maybe it was slate.

it said they should create conferences based on the top sport the schools are good at. have a football centric conference for some and hoops for another.

it was an out of the box way at looking at it. no way it happens but i liked the concept.

#15 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,484 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

I never have really understood the academic side of conference invitations. How does a school's academics benefit from belonging to a sports conference (other than getting more money for the school). Do Florida State and Duke work on projects together because both are in the ACC. Do the Northwestern and Michigan researchers get special priviledges from each other because they both belong to the big 10? Or is it all reputation based?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com