Photo
- - - - -

Obama's version of cliff negotiations include giving executive branch power to raise debt limit

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

No wonder McConnell laughed at Geitner.

http://www.usatoday....ithner/1735873/

Complicating the negotiations is a further disagreement over whether any deal should include an increase in the debt ceiling, which needs congressional approval. The $16.4 trillion borrowing limit is expected to hit in mid-February, and Obama has said he wants to head off another painful fight with Congress that threatens to rattle markets.
The president's proposal to circumvent congressional approval to lift the debt ceiling is one of the more unacceptable provisions for Boehner, who continues to maintain his position that any increase in the debt ceiling must be paired dollar-for-dollar with spending cuts.

#2 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,961 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I take it these were, ahem, cliff notes?

#3 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,511 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

i'm not economic expert but there really is no easy way out of this. that 6.07B cut in spending would be incredibly useful but the following economic dip is gonna wreak havoc.

#4 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,878 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Sign more people up on disability, give more free benefits to..... sorry, forgot the election had already taken place.

Never mind, damage done. Can't take back all the freebies now, especially since that is what got you 4 more years.

Like I said in a thread a couple weeks back, Obama is going to negotiate through the media.

#5 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Sign more people up on disability, give more free benefits to..... sorry, forgot the election had already taken place.

Never mind, damage done. Can't take back all the freebies now, especially since that is what got you 4 more years.

Like I said in a thread a couple weeks back, Obama is going to negotiate through the media.

i've never considered myself very befitting of the hippie peace-lover type, but honestly considering the level of cash we spend on military operations i'd be pretty ok with allowing the offensive disgrace of egalitarian altruism in exchange for shaving, say, five or ten percent off the annual military budget.

#6 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,878 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

I do not have a problem with a 10% deacrease in military budget, nor with raising the top end rates(however, if you do not get rid of loopholes, it will do little good), but, the issue is with entitlements. Pubs have said they would move on some tax stuff, Dems have dug in on entitlements.

Obama is still on stage

#7 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I do not have a problem with a 10% deacrease in military budget, nor with raising the top end rates(however, if you do not get rid of loopholes, it will do little good), but, the issue is with entitlements. Pubs have said they would move on some tax stuff, Dems have dug in on entitlements.

Obama is still on stage

what is your opinion on the bush tax cut extensions? i'm pretty sure that's a significant part of the fiscal cliff budget slashes, as they're set to expire at the same time. can we lose the revenue? if i read correctly obama said he plans to extend the cuts for the bottom 98% of households

edit: also what do you mean by entitlements?

#8 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Take it all out of the defensive spending. We don't need that many tanks and ships and missiles. We already have more than the rest of the world combined.

But no, they want to go after social security and medicare and veterans benefits. That's why you lost and you will keep losing

#9 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,961 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

the defense budget is already going to go down. troop drawdown was brought up in 06 so the natural timeline is about to happen.

again guys use your heads. do you want your govt spending even MORE of YOUR money in the same ole bad way OR, would you prefer more people working?

#10 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

I'm cool with going over the fiscal cliff. 10% across the board domestic and military spending.

Economy needs to just wait until we get our house in order.

#11 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

I'm cool with going over the fiscal cliff. 10% across the board domestic and military spending.

Economy needs to just wait until we get our house in order.

the problem is, if the economy dips again, unemployment goes up, revenue goes down, and spending goes up for stuff like unemployment and food stamps, worsening the problem. you've got to find a way to strike a delicate balance.

#12 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,878 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

the problem is, if the economy dips again, unemployment goes up, revenue goes down, and spending goes up for stuff like unemployment and food stamps, worsening the problem. you've got to find a way to strike a delicate balance.

I used to think the same way, you know, that there could be a problem. But I realized that there is not anything to worry about.

All unemployed just sign up for a couple years and then go to disability. Then, we just print more money. No problem. Where have you been the last few years?

This is how we roll. Your inner economist just wake up? No use in doing anything hard here.

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,512 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

You're under the impression the economy is going to rebound with Obamacare?

#14 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

Where my company takes a small hit on DoD spending we should make up that loss 2x in the healthcare market because of Obamacare.

Also I've thought about venturing out and starting my own company. I feel a lot more secure being entrepreneurial with Obamacare in place than I did previously.

#15 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,878 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Where my company takes a small hit on DoD spending we should make up that loss 2x in the healthcare market because of Obamacare.

Also I've thought about venturing out and starting my own company. I feel a lot more secure being entrepreneurial with Obamacare in place than I did previously.

go ahead, do it.

Quit using your baiting rhetoric and go ahead and invest a bunch of your rusty money. Let's see you libs put your money where your mouth is. "Obama is good for business", I mean, you hear that every day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com