Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chiefs player kills girlfriend at home, then himself at facility (updated first post)

369 posts in this topic

Posted

Yes I could. Professional and college athletes set aside personal issues every week to play a game. The game is what's normal to an athlete. You see it when a team mate gets paralyzed during a game. The guys take a knee, say a prayer, then strap it back on and go back to competing. Athletes are conditioned to block out emotion and separate the game from everything else in life. Often times tragedy helps a player reach another level on the field a la Brett Favre after his dad passed away.

This.

Posted

Yes I could. Professional and college athletes set aside personal issues every week to play a game. The game is what's normal to an athlete. You see it when a team mate gets paralyzed during a game. The guys take a knee, say a prayer, then strap it back on and go back to competing. Athletes are conditioned to block out emotion and separate the game from everything else in life. Often times tragedy helps a player reach another level on the field a la Brett Favre after his dad passed away.

Another example is Mantai Tae'o. His grandmother then g/f died shortly after in the same week. He came out that Saturday and had the game of his life.

Posted

Ok thats different then seeing someone blowing their brains out right in front of you. And you have time to dwell on it. Its easy to shake the emotion immediately following the event because you havent had time to think about it. But i bet if you went into the locker room after that game, those players would be silent.

Posted

If this game happens I wouldn't say they're now easy W. they might rally and win one for their teammate except he is a murderer

Posted

Setting the suicide aside for a moment and looking at the game, the Panthers are likely to run into a buzz saw tomorrow. Chiefs players are going to be emotionally charged and focused. These types of things galvanize a team.

Posted

Or destroy them...

Posted

Chiefs fans think the game should be cancelled. Some of you might have a different opinion if a panthers player did this.

Posted

Classy.

Not as classy as a murder/suicide for sure.

Posted

Simply amazed at how some would make a joke about this. Obviously, they have never had to help a family pick up the pieces after their lives were changed by a tragic event.

4 people like this

Posted

Jovan is a daddy! Congratulations! Zoey Michelle Belcher born 9/11/12, 7.35lbs, 20"

530531_10151065712768918_1662891966_n.jpg

Posted

Ok thats different then seeing someone blowing their brains out right in front of you. And you have time to dwell on it. Its easy to shake the emotion immediately following the event because you havent had time to think about it. But i bet if you went into the locker room after that game, those players would be silent.

Have you played competitive sports at a high level? The game is an escape from reality for a player. Let me rephrase that, the game is the reality to a player. I experienced that a bit in college football. Pro athletes are at the extreme level when it comes to blocking out everything but the game. Just saying, don't be surprised if Chiefs players and coaches find a way to use this tragedy as fuel.

Posted

Jovan is a daddy! Congratulations! Zoey Michelle Belcher born 9/11/12, 7.35lbs, 20"

Saw they had a 2 yo as well.