Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offensive line

61 posts in this topic

Posted

My only problem with that is we're not taking one of the several good looking WR prospects there. I also think RG is a bigger problem than LT on the OL.

Fully agreed.

I want Star or Hankins in the 1st then a WR/FS in the 2nd.

OG is also a much more needed position than LT. I still can't see why many members are calling for a franchise LT after "one" poor game vs Denver. If we go LT 1st, that'll be the stupidest decision making by a GM in Panthers history. What are we going to do with Gross and Bell?

If we don't go DT 1st, it better be a WR.

Posted

I just want to know why because if memory seres me right he was a guard in college right

The RT position is a position that is your best run blocker. He's a guy that can strafe off the line quickly (meaning his feet positioning has to be great) and a guy that also never gets caught flat-footed.

The RG is a guy that needs to come off the ball low, with a powerful punch, either knocking the defender back, opening up a lane, or tucking behind the RT and getting out into space, low enough to clear out LBers.

Bell is more of the former. He's got nimble feet, but he's not fast. He's got decent technique, can swat away defenders, but plays upright. He doesn't come off the ball low, or with an incredibly powerful punch, meaning he needs to be a guy on the outside.

1 person likes this

Posted

10-12 I want Keenan Allen, D Milliner- maybe Chance Warmack.

I'm starting to like the idea of drafting Warmack.

I've heard from numerous scouts that he could be the best guard prospect of all time, better than Steve Hutchinson.

Posted

I'm starting to like the idea of drafting Warmack.

I've heard from numerous scouts that he could be the best guard prospect of all time, better than Steve Hutchinson.

I will kill someone if we take a OG in the 1st or especially that high in the draft without making any trades; adding picks with it.

Posted

I will kill someone if we take a OG in the 1st or especially that high in the draft without making any trades; adding picks with it.

... why?

Posted

I would also be severely disappointed if we took Warmack in the top 5 where we're drafting but if we're picking in the teens for whatever reason he'd definitely be worth a look if Star and Hankins are gone.

Posted

... why?

Are we going to be better next year by taking a OG??

Posted

Are we going to be better next year by taking a OG??

I think so, yeah. I think that a guard is what the offensive line is missing. When we had Wharton and Hangartner, we had one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL. Without that, we're breaking down on almost every play.

Not to mention opening holes for the running backs.

Posted

I think so, yeah. I think that a guard is what the offensive line is missing. When we had Wharton and Hangartner, we had one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL. Without that, we're breaking down on almost every play.

Not to mention opening holes for the running backs.

Sure it'll be nice to have a legit RG, but that's not going to help our backs in any way in this system.

Is the lack of an OG the reason we're losing games and can't close out games late in the quarter?

I wouldn't mind an OG in the 2nd, but really can't be in the 1st. It should be DT or WR in the 1st. Not even close.

Posted

Sure it'll be nice to have a legit RG, but that's not going to help our backs in any way in this system.

Is the lack of an OG the reason we're losing games and can't close out games late in the quarter?

I wouldn't mind an OG in the 2nd, but really can't be in the 1st. It should be DT or WR in the 1st. Not even close.

I'm sorry, I just can't agree.

I think the reason we can't close out late is the same reason we won't have this same system next season.

Posted

I'm sorry, I just can't agree.

I think the reason we can't close out late is the same reason we won't have this same system next season.

We can't close games bc either there's no open wide receiver for Cam to pass to, or our Defense can't make a stop. It's not bc we lack a RG. Our weakness spot on the OLINE ATM is not RG, it's Center.

Star, Hankins, or a top receiver will help this team much more than a RG.

Posted

We can't close games bc either there's no open wide receiver for Cam to pass to, or our Defense can't make a stop. It's not bc we lack a RG. Our weakness spot on the OLINE ATM is not RG, it's Center.

Star, Hankins, or a top receiver will help this team much more than a RG.

Arguing is pointless. I have a different opinion.

Is Center a problem? Yes. Is RG a problem? Yes. Is LT a problem? Yes. Is LG a problem? Yes.

It's not just the center.

Besides, hasn't it been the consensus for years that drafting BPA is the best thing to do?