He did it in College too, but at the end of the day they brought it on themselves by doubting him so much. Cam did nothing, never gave them the attention and still hasnt.
But the thing is, a lot of sports journalist decided to take the lazy route a long time ago.
10 steps to making money in journalism.
1. Don't be afraid to take people out of context, nobody reads retractions.
2. If you don't have any leads, insist you have "sources". You don't have to give retractions if you have "sources".
3. If at all possible, bash the popular guy.
4. If popular guy cannot be bashed, take contrary position.
5. Beat people over the head with your hits, ignore your misses.
6. Imply that everyone else
7. Watch highlights & listen to clips only, because that's what most people see. Find any controversy you can in those.
8. If you are shown to be wrong, ignore it as much as possible until a) you have something that shows you're right or b ) enough time has passed that you can 180 your stance without admitting you were wrong.
9. Don't be afraid to take on rebuttals from your audience. You have the stage. They can be cut off at any time. If they truly catch you out, laugh it off, point you your press credentials as if that means you are more knowledgeable.
10. Pissing people off makes more people listen. That means more attention for you. That means more money.