Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OLine or DLine ?

72 posts in this topic

Posted

I'd love to have big Jenkins from Georgia!

Posted

One of each. The problem with figuring out this questions is two-fold: Coaching scheme and cap room.

The OLine can't really be evaluated too harshly, considering we're in full-retard Chud mode. If we ran a traditional offense, how many of these "failures" might not be there? Knowing you're going to be blowing the guy up on the line, so your RB can hit the hole is, I assume, a lot easier than guessing what the play is going to be - run or pass this time? - and having to react at the last second to it.

The DLine can be evaluated, as McD isn't running too shabby a defense, even with Ron Ron peeking over his shoulder the entire time. Granted, our 4 minute defense sucks, and yesterday they were putrid, but every defense has one game a year like that. Adding in that Fua was subbed in for the decent DT we had. When it clicks, it's not bad at all. The question then becomes, can we afford to try for a good DT in FA with our cap space? Ron being oft-injured is not a good sign, so we need something there in case of fire, but who can we get for a pickle and bag of chips that our budget is?

I think we'll know the answer to this question come early next year, when the FA market opens. Until then, there's just too many factors to speculate at this point.

Posted

Both should be addressed, but I think that barring a FA move we should go DT in the first round for these reasons.

1. If the defense can't get off the field the offense can't get on it.

2. Cam is elusive and showing that he is developing in many ways. The D needs the tackle more than the O at this point.

Posted

I say O-line... If it helps the O score more points then the opposition will be playing 'catch-up' on a consistent basis. Teams usually dont run the ball as much when theyre behind...

Posted

I'm on the Star bandwagon. Draft Oline in the second round if you have to.

You don't find stud LT's in the 2nd round.

You must take LT in the first if you are going OL or DL.

Posted

Draft another DT high. Sign a DT free agent and Keep Ron Edwards as a backup. Upgrade the LT and get some big run blockers not the athletic types, I'm talking Jeff Otah big.

The Panthers past philosophy has to go! You have to use the draft AND free agency. Ron Rivera will be successful somewhere else just like John Fox. Our problem has become quite obvious and it's the FO

So how are you going to draft a DT high (I assume you mean at the top of the first) AND upgrade the LT? You don;t find stud LT's outside the first round.....and no one lets a good LT go in FA.

You must sraft your LT.

Posted

So how are you going to draft a DT high (I assume you mean at the top of the first) AND upgrade the LT? You don;t find stud LT's outside the first round.....and no one lets a good LT go in FA.

You must sraft your LT.

Easy. Get the LT next year. I feel a lot better with Gross as our LT next year than R. Edwards or Fua as our NT.

Posted

Its hard to ever argue against going OL in the first, but depending on our pick if there is a STUD interior d lineman out there...

Posted

OL - particularly LT is the #1 need on this team moving forward.

#2 - safety

#3 - WR

#4 - DT

Posted

We have to draft O-Line

This WR class looking weak to me

Posted

Seeing how bad our run D has been since Ron went down. A legit NT is a must. Then RG.

Posted

O-line for sure. There are some good DTs in this years free agency group. Terrance Knighton, Kevin Williams, Randy Starks, Alan Branch, Glenn Dorsey...Panthers need to sign a good one (not budget good, talent good), since our inability to draft and/or develop DT has been hurting us for how long now