• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#31 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

When it comes down to it, the Qb is always number one priority, getting a linemen that can keep Cam untouched and giving him a run game to take the pressure off him has to come first. But i wouldnt be mad if they went DT, there call.

#32 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

oline, we could win more games with a more consistent offense. we definitely need a DT next year but I say oline is more important right now

#33 Navy_football

Navy_football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts
  • LocationArlington, VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Right now, I would go with OL for a couple of reasons.

1. Improved OL play would allow Cam more time to progress through his reads. Cam will get better, but not if he's avoiding the rush after 3 seconds every play - see David Carr. It's really a testament to his courage that he sits back there as long as he does.
2. If Cam Newton gets injured, it's over. This team can not afford to risk his safety like this any longer.
3. Improved run blocking would literally be the difference in every game. We have good RBs that can go the distance, if we can get them out of the backfield clean. This more than anything would affect time of possession, defensive game plan - can't just blitz Cam every play, team morale would go up as the RBs become a part of the offensive game plan.
4. I could go on, but you get the point. You could make similar arguments for the defense. just replace Cam with Keuch. But no one is more important to this team than Cam Newton.

#34 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

both..... slight edge to oline since u already have a franchise qb.

dline could be could be good like when they sacked matt ryan like 5 times..

#35 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Draft another DT high. Sign a DT free agent and Keep Ron Edwards as a backup. Upgrade the LT and get some big run blockers not the athletic types, I'm talking Jeff Otah big.

The Panthers past philosophy has to go! You have to use the draft AND free agency. Ron Rivera will be successful somewhere else just like John Fox. Our problem has become quite obvious and it's the FO

#36 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Since DT is historically a bad pick in the first round i would be fine with a middle tier FA signing that can at least hold the block, LT high in the draft are almost fool proof, with that being said....

Gross signs 10 yer extension and we draft RB/LB/DE 1,2,3

#37 ECUPantherFan

ECUPantherFan

Wish we had Olsen twins

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'd love to have big Jenkins from Georgia!

#38 Raskle

Raskle

Zookeeper

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

One of each. The problem with figuring out this questions is two-fold: Coaching scheme and cap room.

The OLine can't really be evaluated too harshly, considering we're in full-retard Chud mode. If we ran a traditional offense, how many of these "failures" might not be there? Knowing you're going to be blowing the guy up on the line, so your RB can hit the hole is, I assume, a lot easier than guessing what the play is going to be - run or pass this time? - and having to react at the last second to it.

The DLine can be evaluated, as McD isn't running too shabby a defense, even with Ron Ron peeking over his shoulder the entire time. Granted, our 4 minute defense sucks, and yesterday they were putrid, but every defense has one game a year like that. Adding in that Fua was subbed in for the decent DT we had. When it clicks, it's not bad at all. The question then becomes, can we afford to try for a good DT in FA with our cap space? Ron being oft-injured is not a good sign, so we need something there in case of fire, but who can we get for a pickle and bag of chips that our budget is?

I think we'll know the answer to this question come early next year, when the FA market opens. Until then, there's just too many factors to speculate at this point.

#39 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,394 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Both should be addressed, but I think that barring a FA move we should go DT in the first round for these reasons.

1. If the defense can't get off the field the offense can't get on it.
2. Cam is elusive and showing that he is developing in many ways. The D needs the tackle more than the O at this point.

#40 j2sgam

j2sgam

cant beat the original...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,063 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

I say O-line... If it helps the O score more points then the opposition will be playing 'catch-up' on a consistent basis. Teams usually dont run the ball as much when theyre behind...

#41 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,196 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I'm on the Star bandwagon. Draft Oline in the second round if you have to.

You don't find stud LT's in the 2nd round.

You must take LT in the first if you are going OL or DL.

#42 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,196 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Draft another DT high. Sign a DT free agent and Keep Ron Edwards as a backup. Upgrade the LT and get some big run blockers not the athletic types, I'm talking Jeff Otah big.

The Panthers past philosophy has to go! You have to use the draft AND free agency. Ron Rivera will be successful somewhere else just like John Fox. Our problem has become quite obvious and it's the FO

So how are you going to draft a DT high (I assume you mean at the top of the first) AND upgrade the LT? You don;t find stud LT's outside the first round.....and no one lets a good LT go in FA.

You must sraft your LT.

#43 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

So how are you going to draft a DT high (I assume you mean at the top of the first) AND upgrade the LT? You don;t find stud LT's outside the first round.....and no one lets a good LT go in FA.

You must sraft your LT.

Easy. Get the LT next year. I feel a lot better with Gross as our LT next year than R. Edwards or Fua as our NT.

#44 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Its hard to ever argue against going OL in the first, but depending on our pick if there is a STUD interior d lineman out there...

#45 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

OL - particularly LT is the #1 need on this team moving forward.

#2 - safety
#3 - WR
#4 - DT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com