#61 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,263 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Depends on the coaching staff, honestly.

If we go to a more run oriented offense (which, honestly, I really hope we do), whether it be a power run scheme, a stretch run scheme, etc, then we definitely need a RG. There is a gaping hole there, bigger than any other on the offensive line. Hangartner moving back there isn't going to help.

If we go to a more pass-rush centric 43 or a 34, we're going to definitely need a DT or a NT.

You can find guards in the 2-4 rounds or in FA. LT's are munch harder to find. You don't take a G anywhere close to a Top 5 pick.

#62 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,263 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

I gave just seen too many Top 10 picks at DT not pan out to use one on a DT.

#63 Match.com

Match.com

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I agree haven't seen many DT pan out....in the 1st

#64 Ruff

Ruff

Formerly Know As RufftownRepresent

• HUDDLER
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

You can find guards in the 2-4 rounds or in FA. LT's are munch harder to find. You don't take a G anywhere close to a Top 5 pick.

When there's a player that has a chance to be a GOAT, yeah, you take them.

But, you're preaching to the choir here. I'd like to see someone like Joeckel on this team, honestly.

#65 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

I feel like if we just sign some wooly mammoths for our interior DT spot we will be ok. The Edwards' aren't world beaters...and look how well our defense played once Luke went to the middle. We just need guys who weigh 330 and can hold their ground. I feel like that can be addressed via free agency

There are few LT in the draft...

#66 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,395 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

I feel like if we just sign some wooly mammoths for our interior DT spot we will be ok. The Edwards' aren't world beaters...and look how well our defense played once Luke went to the middle. We just need guys who weigh 330 and can hold their ground. I feel like that can be addressed via free agency

There are few LT in the draft...

For the benefit of the future we should go DT. There's always a premier LT and a couple legit franchise LT in every draft each year. There's no DT like Star or Hankins possibly next year or the year after.

Take a DT this year and we'll go LT next year. I wont argue with a LT next year bc Gross will be a year older. We need to address DT one time please and quit relying on aging vets.

#67 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

For the benefit of the future we should go DT. There's always a premier LT and a couple legit franchise LT in every draft each year. There's no DT like Star or Hankins possibly next year or the year after.

Take a DT this year and we'll go LT next year. I wont argue with a LT next year bc Gross will be a year older. We need to address DT one time please and quit relying on aging vets.

Yea and those legit LTs are gone after the first round. Snag a big ol SEC DT later in the draft

#68 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,395 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

Yea and those legit LTs are gone after the first round. Snag a big ol SEC DT later in the draft

The draft after next year, they wont be gone by the time we draft.
Whos a big ol SEC DT we could draft in the 2nd or 4th? Not an immediate impact player for sure. Nothing compare to Star or Hankins.

#69 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

The draft after next year, they wont be gone by the time we draft.
Whos a big ol SEC DT we could draft in the 2nd or 4th? Not an immediate impact player for sure. Nothing compare to Star or Hankins.

I guess it comes down to preference. I'd rather protect Cam with a stellar LT...over improving our run defense. I'm not saying that stopping the run isn't important. But protecting our QB is a higher priority. At least in my opinion...for what it's worth. Probably not much

We saw that our defense can be effective with average DTs. The problem now is that Fua has to play. And he doesn't belong in the NFL...and we got him in the third....sweet pick hurndog

#70 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,395 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

I guess it comes down to preference. I'd rather protect Cam with a stellar LT...over improving our run defense. I'm not saying that stopping the run isn't important. But protecting our QB is a higher priority. At least in my opinion...for what it's worth. Probably not much

We saw that our defense can be effective with average DTs. The problem now is that Fua has to play. And he doesn't belong in the NFL...and we got him in the third....sweet pick hurndog

Yea I see your point.
I agree that we could get better protection for Cam. I'm just looking at what we could do to benefit us for the future, and that's DT imo. I would love to add an OL, but if we do that the first position of need everyone is going to talk about next season will be "DT" again. Ron Edwards is aging and been injured in two consecutive seasons. If we go DT, LT will not be as much a problem next season if we were to go the other way around. But really I guess it'll be BPA, whoever is there for us.

#71 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,297 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

Yea I see your point.
I agree that we could get better protection for Cam. I'm just looking at what we could do to benefit us for the future, and that's DT imo. I would love to add an OL, but if we do that the first position of need everyone is going to talk about next season will be "DT" again. Ron Edwards is aging and been injured in two consecutive seasons. If we go DT, LT will not be as much a problem next season if we were to go the other way around. But really I guess it'll be BPA, whoever is there for us.

Honestly Ron Edwards career may be over. He's. old. 2 consecutive IR seasons now. It's clear his body is failing as a football player. DT is a need. A big one.

It just comes down to who's available like you said. You probably can't miss either way between the top LT or DT....

It would be such a luxury though to have a stone wall OLine where Cam could basically do whatever he wanted to the defense...at DT just throw in the biggest slab of beef you can find...

#72 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,395 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

Honestly Ron Edwards career may be over. He's. old. 2 consecutive IR seasons now. It's clear his body is failing as a football player. DT is a need. A big one.

It just comes down to who's available like you said. You probably can't miss either way between the top LT or DT....

It would be such a luxury though to have a stone wall OLine where Cam could basically do whatever he wanted to the defense...at DT just throw in the biggest slab of beef you can find...

I would not mind a LT if we could go out and get a DT like Dorsey, Branch, or Melton. Though, I'm having a hard time thinking any of them could impact the game like a Star in the future.

I hate to have a losing attitude, but this season is over already and what I want is to land a high pick. I also love to add a nasty beefy OL, so if we can land a high enough pick and trade down to receive a extra 2nd, I'd love to add Taylor Lewan. I really think that Lewan is just as good as Joeckel. He may not be as elusive as Joeckel but he has great size at 6'7 and a ready NFL body. If not Lewan, even Matthews is in consideration. A "few" really good LT in this draft.

I think Lewan is more Jake Long and Joeckel is toward Joe Thomas. Still, both Franchise LT.

Guys that could be in the 2nd: Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson, Dallas Thomas, Oday Aboushi, D.J. Fluker, Brennan Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.