#2 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

The act of kindness is not wasted just because the man is not wearing the boots. Unfortunately the attention surrounding the homeless mans actions and attitude will help solidify opinions that the they are 2nd class citizens.

#3 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

The act of kindness is not wasted just because the man is not wearing the boots. Unfortunately the attention surrounding the homeless mans actions and attitude will help solidify opinions that the they are 2nd class citizens.

If he doesn't have a home, where did he hide them? He sold them for booze money.

#4 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Yep...he's sold them.

There's a reason he's in the situation he's in.

#5 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hillman's brother Kirk lives in Nazareth, Pa., and according to the Daily Mail had not heard from since January.
"We love our brother very much," Kirk Hillman told the Daily News. "Our door is always open to him, but this is a lifestyle he's chosen."

Homeless by choice?

#6 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Homeless by choice?

actually, it's not uncommon at all.

#7 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

I had a situation last Friday where I was in a hurry (borderline late for a game I was covering) and some bum came up to me at a gas station as I got back into my car. Against better judgment I rolled down the window to hear him out. He asks me if I like Carrie Underwood. I tell him no, and ask why. He says he was going to sell me a Carrie Underwood CD for two bucks because he needed gas money. I posted this on facebook and said I sped off without giving him anything, and many of my female friends were aghast. How could you? I've been in that situation where I had to use pennies for my gas. Blah blah blah.

You can give these people money if it eases whatever guilt you have, but it's no different than feeding bears at a state park. Every time you give them money (which I hate to tell you, but they're going to spend it on booze, not gas or food or any other excuse they'll give you) that means they'll be back expecting the same thing from the next person. You're contributing to the problem, and people down at the homeless shelters will tell you that. Don't give them money. Give them a sandwich if you like. But giving them money isn't a harmless WWJD thing, it actually contributes to a problem.

#8 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,743 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

is it possible he hid them because he could lose his life if spotted wearing them by thieves willing to cut throats for far less than $100?

why is the immediate assumption that he sold them for booze?

does it have anything to do with wanting to confirm a bias that homeless/poor people automatically deserve it?

#9 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I had a situation last Friday where I was in a hurry (borderline late for a game I was covering) and some bum came up to me at a gas station as I got back into my car. Against better judgment I rolled down the window to hear him out. He asks me if I like Carrie Underwood. I tell him no, and ask why. He says he was going to sell me a Carrie Underwood CD for two bucks because he needed gas money. I posted this on facebook and said I sped off without giving him anything, and many of my female friends were aghast. How could you? I've been in that situation where I had to use pennies for my gas. Blah blah blah.

You can give these people money if it eases whatever guilt you have, but it's no different than feeding bears at a state park. Every time you give them money (which I hate to tell you, but they're going to spend it on booze, not gas or food or any other excuse they'll give you) that means they'll be back expecting the same thing from the next person. You're contributing to the problem, and people down at the homeless shelters will tell you that. Don't give them money. Give them a sandwich if you like. But giving them money isn't a harmless WWJD thing, it actually contributes to a problem.

i know this is difficult for you, but many homeless people aren't junkies and alcoholics.

#10 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,743 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

You can give these people money if it eases whatever guilt you have, but it's no different than feeding bears at a state park. Every time you give them money (which I hate to tell you, but they're going to spend it on booze, not gas or food or any other excuse they'll give you) that means they'll be back expecting the same thing from the next person.

ugh

#11 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

is it possible he hid them because he could lose his life if spotted wearing them by thieves willing to cut throats for far less than $100?

why is the immediate assumption that he sold them for booze?

does it have anything to do with wanting to confirm a bias that homeless/poor people automatically deserve it?

Common sense.

#12 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

i know this is difficult for you, but many homeless people aren't junkies and alcoholics.

Some of them are just Carrie Underwood fans.

#13 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Common sense.

yea, that's what most people call confirmation bias.

#14 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,230 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

So what if they want booze. It's better than robbing people and homes. Oh wait you are forcing them to do that by being an insensitive trilobite

#15 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

yea, that's what most people call confirmation bias.

I think the homeless man asked Santa Claus to hold his boots for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.