Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Homeless man's boot's gone already, man wants "piece of the pie"

181 posts in this topic

Posted

Common sense.

yea, that's what most people call confirmation bias.

2 people like this

Posted

So what if they want booze. It's better than robbing people and homes. Oh wait you are forcing them to do that by being an insensitive trilobite

Posted

yea, that's what most people call confirmation bias.

I think the homeless man asked Santa Claus to hold his boots for him.

Posted

Anytime I feel someone is legitimately hurting I'll help them out. If their sign says they're hungry and I'm in a position to help, I'll offer to buy them a meal. One time a family had a sign asking for gas in front of our church. This same family we had given every bit of our food out of our food back a few weeks prior. Same family was back asking for gas money. Buddy of mine went out and and spoke with them, but when actually pressed on the gas situation, they would fall back on just wanting the money. We refused and my buddy drove to the gas station and put gas in their car and we put some money together for them to buy lunch. They were there to wait for two churches (across the street from one another) to panhandle members leaving church service. Once is fine. Twice...ok. Third time. The church has a process. You need help, visit the pastor during the week and the secretary tracks help they give to individuals in order to prevent abuse (aka theft/new income stream). Knowing we'd cleaned our food pantry, we pointed them to the local food pantry as ours was depleted.

Are you, as a responsible charitable person, supposed to take someone's word as 100% 100% of the time when down in your heart you know you may be getting taken advantage of and essentially taking from people that truly need the help? Are you simply fostering the situation more.

Posted

The first time I ever saw somebody actually sleeping on the sidewalk to where you had to walk around them was in Manhattan. Are there inequities in our society? Yes, very very many. Does he deserve a slice of the cake? Isn't every human being worthy?

The curse of our society is this unnatural self importance that overrides all our natural instincts. Those qualities are also present in parasites. A parasite will bleed its host dry with absolutely no concern for the life of the host. Our so called free market has done the same and the results can be seen (private prisons, banks, Wall Street deregulation, etc). People aren't the problem. We were not made to be parasites most mammals aren't. The parasitic mindset was/is our doom. It has spread through all aspects of our lives and into business and governmental practices. When we can share without thinking about the self is when we can break free and all men can have a home and not be afraid to wear boots.

Posted

Please understand me....I'm not against helping these people. I'm against GIVING THEM MONEY. It isn't helping them! You can buy their stories if you choose to, but you are just giving them booze money. Stop it!

The cop did a very nice thing. He is a hero. The homeless man is sick. I get that. But the cop is now out 100 bucks for his troubles. We need to understand in our society that our concept of helping people...giving them money....isn't helping them if they don't know what to do with money.

1 person likes this

Posted

Double post

Posted

It's funny, at corners where people are pan-handling because of hunger they sure don't take kindly to the offer of a combo meal rather than cash.

Posted

it's funny, i can't remember the last time i offered to buy someone a meal in lieu of cash where they turned me down.

Posted

You make way more money if you don't have shoes on. Anyone knows that. And yea, he sold them for booze money like any respectable bum would.

Posted

Virtually every homeless person is mentally ill in some way, at least the ones that stay homeless. I got to know a lot of homeless people when I was in high school/college and every single one of them essentially chose to live that way.

I remember one guy in particular that was a super hard worker and was perfectly capable but for some reason he preferred staying homeless. When I was managing a restaurant close to downtown he was always coming by doing little jobs for food and he always did a hell of a job. He gave my car the best wax job I've ever seen for a $5 sandwich.