Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FurdTurgason

Homeless man's boot's gone already, man wants "piece of the pie"

180 posts in this topic

No...officer did everything right. The homeless guy is "stealing" from someone that truly needs it though. This is what's so depressing about true charitable giving and how those people are taken advantage of and WHY people question direct charitable giving to individuals that they have absolutely no information about.

I'll still donate...in fact I'll be working this weekend AT a Walmart asking for donations towards gifts to kids.

If any of you refute the fact that 98% of all homeless persons are homeless because they can't make a change to their lives...you are fuging wrong.

fact

• something known to be true: something that can be shown to be true, to exist, or to have happened
  • truth or reality of something: the truth or actual existence of something, as opposed to the supposition of something or a belief about something
  • piece of information: a piece of information, e.g. a statistic or a statement of the truth

I don't see "pulling random numbers out of your ass and asserting it as an irrefutable truth" anywhere, so I think your word choice might be a little off.

I'm glad we have YML to stepping up and filling the void left by sylvianlight. The TInderbox was missing the racist ignorant asshat role

You're welcome

I saw yesterday that this guy has a paid for apartment from the gov't and receives SS checks. Yet he's out with his shoes off panhandling. Classic Obama voter

It seems there are three competing themes in this thread.

1. Homeless people are scum. To hell with em.

2. I will always give money to someone desparate enough to ask. It's people who refuse to do this who are scum.

And then there is the sensible one....

3. Every homeless person is a different story. Maybe it was drugs. Maybe it was tragedy. Maybe it was just laziness. Regardless, if you give them money, they aren't going to spend it on anything good. Do you want that person to spiral further into hell with another bottle of booze, or do you want that person to stop conning people and figure out that there's more to life than the next bottle of booze?

Seems the homeless barefoot bum...is nothing more than just a bum

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1212779

He wasn't barefoot...for a time...and seems that he's not homeless either.

Did he tell anyone (the officer, the person taking the photo, the reporter who interviewed him) that he was homeless? Perhaps some big assumptions were made.

No...officer did everything right. The homeless guy is "stealing" from someone that truly needs it though. This is what's so depressing about true charitable giving and how those people are taken advantage of and WHY people question direct charitable giving to individuals that they have absolutely no information about.

I'll still donate...in fact I'll be working this weekend AT a Walmart asking for donations towards gifts to kids.

Why is it stealing? The officer did something he thought was a good thing to do. The guy was offered a gift, and he took it ... a gift; he didn't steal anything.

And, just because he lives in a halfway-type house doesn't mean he's got it made now.

It seems there are three competing themes in this thread.

1. Homeless people are scum. To hell with em.

2. I will always give money to someone desparate enough to ask. It's people who refuse to do this who are scum.

And then there is the sensible one....

3. Every homeless person is a different story. Maybe it was drugs. Maybe it was tragedy. Maybe it was just laziness. Regardless, if you give them money, they aren't going to spend it on anything good. Do you want that person to spiral further into hell with another bottle of booze, or do you want that person to stop conning people and figure out that there's more to life than the next bottle of booze?

Why is it "sensible" to assume that every single one of these people is an alcoholic and will never spend your charitable contribution on "anything good"? Why is that cynical viewpoint "sensible"? It's a huge, wide brush.

Do what you want, but I prefer to think that at least some people in desperate situations are doing whatever they can to survive, and they aren't worthless drunkards.

Why is it "sensible" to assume that every single one of these people is an alcoholic and will never spend your charitable contribution on "anything good"? Why is that cynical viewpoint "sensible"? It's a huge, wide brush.

Do what you want, but I prefer to think that at least some people in desperate situations are doing whatever they can to survive, and they aren't worthless drunkards.

When they stop asking me for just enough money to buy booze and start asking me for a sandwich.

When they stop asking me for just enough money to buy booze and start asking me for a sandwich.

You're full of huge assumptions. My suggestion is that you ignore them all. Period. Make like they're invisible.

Panthro says I am an ignorant racist because I agree with this. Lol