http://www.nevblog.c...omeless-people/

#17 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Anytime I feel someone is legitimately hurting I'll help them out. If their sign says they're hungry and I'm in a position to help, I'll offer to buy them a meal. One time a family had a sign asking for gas in front of our church. This same family we had given every bit of our food out of our food back a few weeks prior. Same family was back asking for gas money. Buddy of mine went out and and spoke with them, but when actually pressed on the gas situation, they would fall back on just wanting the money. We refused and my buddy drove to the gas station and put gas in their car and we put some money together for them to buy lunch. They were there to wait for two churches (across the street from one another) to panhandle members leaving church service. Once is fine. Twice...ok. Third time. The church has a process. You need help, visit the pastor during the week and the secretary tracks help they give to individuals in order to prevent abuse (aka theft/new income stream). Knowing we'd cleaned our food pantry, we pointed them to the local food pantry as ours was depleted.

Are you, as a responsible charitable person, supposed to take someone's word as 100% 100% of the time when down in your heart you know you may be getting taken advantage of and essentially taking from people that truly need the help? Are you simply fostering the situation more.

#18 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

The first time I ever saw somebody actually sleeping on the sidewalk to where you had to walk around them was in Manhattan. Are there inequities in our society? Yes, very very many. Does he deserve a slice of the cake? Isn't every human being worthy?

The curse of our society is this unnatural self importance that overrides all our natural instincts. Those qualities are also present in parasites. A parasite will bleed its host dry with absolutely no concern for the life of the host. Our so called free market has done the same and the results can be seen (private prisons, banks, Wall Street deregulation, etc). People aren't the problem. We were not made to be parasites most mammals aren't. The parasitic mindset was/is our doom. It has spread through all aspects of our lives and into business and governmental practices. When we can share without thinking about the self is when we can break free and all men can have a home and not be afraid to wear boots.

#19 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Please understand me....I'm not against helping these people. I'm against GIVING THEM MONEY. It isn't helping them! You can buy their stories if you choose to, but you are just giving them booze money. Stop it!

The cop did a very nice thing. He is a hero. The homeless man is sick. I get that. But the cop is now out 100 bucks for his troubles. We need to understand in our society that our concept of helping people...giving them money....isn't helping them if they don't know what to do with money.

#20 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Double post

#21 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,574 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

It's funny, at corners where people are pan-handling because of hunger they sure don't take kindly to the offer of a combo meal rather than cash.

#22 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

it's funny, i can't remember the last time i offered to buy someone a meal in lieu of cash where they turned me down.

#23 GAme

GAme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

You make way more money if you don't have shoes on. Anyone knows that. And yea, he sold them for booze money like any respectable bum would.

#24 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Virtually every homeless person is mentally ill in some way, at least the ones that stay homeless. I got to know a lot of homeless people when I was in high school/college and every single one of them essentially chose to live that way.

I remember one guy in particular that was a super hard worker and was perfectly capable but for some reason he preferred staying homeless. When I was managing a restaurant close to downtown he was always coming by doing little jobs for food and he always did a hell of a job. He gave my car the best wax job I've ever seen for a $5 sandwich.

#25 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

If he doesn't have a home, where did he hide them? He sold them for booze money.

He may not have a "home" as you define it, but he probably does have one .... (ok, I'm really done now ... really ... I think.)

#26 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,612 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

At least they aren't on welfare, disability, or unemployment....buncha leaches. amirite?

#27 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

it's funny, i can't remember the last time i offered to buy someone a meal in lieu of cash where they turned me down.

yeah but your anecdote doesn't count like theirs

#28 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Please understand me....I'm not against helping these people. I'm against GIVING THEM MONEY. It isn't helping them! You can buy their stories if you choose to, but you are just giving them booze money. Stop it!

The cop did a very nice thing. He is a hero. The homeless man is sick. I get that. But the cop is now out 100 bucks for his troubles. We need to understand in our society that our concept of helping people...giving them money....isn't helping them if they don't know what to do with money.

The police officer did NOT give him money. He gave him something he perceived the guy needed ... he was barefoot, so the cop gave him shoes.

Once they were given, no control over what happens to them. Same with coats, and blankets, and hats, and food, for that matter.

#29 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

So what if they want booze. It's better than robbing people and homes. Oh wait you are forcing them to do that by being an insensitive trilobite

Yes. Giving them booze money is so sensitive and sensible.

#30 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

I had a situation last Friday where I was in a hurry (borderline late for a game I was covering) and some bum came up to me at a gas station as I got back into my car. Against better judgment I rolled down the window to hear him out. He asks me if I like Carrie Underwood. I tell him no, and ask why. He says he was going to sell me a Carrie Underwood CD for two bucks because he needed gas money. I posted this on facebook and said I sped off without giving him anything, and many of my female friends were aghast. How could you? I've been in that situation where I had to use pennies for my gas. Blah blah blah.

You can give these people money if it eases whatever guilt you have, but it's no different than feeding bears at a state park. Every time you give them money (which I hate to tell you, but they're going to spend it on booze, not gas or food or any other excuse they'll give you) that means they'll be back expecting the same thing from the next person. You're contributing to the problem, and people down at the homeless shelters will tell you that. Don't give them money. Give them a sandwich if you like. But giving them money isn't a harmless WWJD thing, it actually contributes to a problem.

What a little weasel you are

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.