Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Controversial opinion: the read option should not be totally abandoned

26 posts in this topic

Posted

When utilized effectively (like it was last year and over the last few games) the read option can actually be tremendously dangerous. It is not effective when the entire offense is based around it.

The most dangerous part about the read option is its unpredictability and the radically different way that a defense has to adjust compared to standard pro option. But when teams only have to prepare for that its weaknesses are exposed.

I made this comparison in another thread, but the triple option is like a changup in baseball. It can be very effective, especially with pitchers who have a very good changeup. But if you threw a changeup with every pitch it would just be a really slow fastball.

In conclusion, keep the read option but only run it 5-8 times a game (more if its killing the other team and they are totally unprepared for it)

Posted

In conclusion, keep the read option but only run it 5-8 times a game (more if its killing the other team and they are totally unprepared for it)

I agree.

2 people like this

Posted

I completely agree. Just don't make it your base running offense like we did earlier (and now we're struggling anyways because the offensive line has collapsed.)

Posted

Completely agree. It's part of what makes Cam dangerous.

Posted

Pretty sure this has been discussed ad naseum... it works, but not as the base offense.

Posted

I don't think anyone wants it to be ditched. Just not 70% of the offense.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just watch the 49ers or the Seahawks and that's pretty much what I'd think we should try. Coryell-esque base package with special sets dispersed accordingly.

Another reason to go after Greg Roman for HC imo

Posted

Only if used as a part of the offense not as the base like we did in the beginning of the year.

Posted

Yeah the issue was the fact that they were using it as the base offense.

Posted

And only use it when it would make sense to use it! Not on 2nd and 19 after Cam took a killer sack. I'm still mad that Chud dialed that one up!

Posted

I don't think this is such a controversial opinion. The only reason we scream "rip the fuging read option section out of the playbook" is our coaching staff are morons.

Used sparingly and intelligently it can be a three or four time a game middle finger to the opposing defense.

Used as the base set for the entire fuging offense it can be a not so subtle middle finger to our developing QB...and our RBs who are given the ball 5 yards deep while not fuging moving.

Posted

Chud made a foul using it on every play!