59 replies to this topic

#46 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,457 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Seems to me that if you want a proven guy who will be available at the end of this year why not try and get Bruce Arians. Pagano will be back next year for Indy meaning that Arians will go back to assistant or more likely move up to HC for someone else given that he did such a good job with Indy this year.

I agree.
I don't know if Arians WANTS to be a HC tho.
Him and Pagano are BFF's. Something tells me he could stick with his buddy, especially after this "magic" season they are apparently having.

I like Roman, I like Shaw, I like Kelly.

Unlike the draft, there are several good names out there for coaching searches.
Which is a good thing, b/c I feel a TON of HC's are getting the boot on Black Monday.

#47 themikestrick

themikestrick

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, NC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Seems to me that if you want a proven guy who will be available at the end of this year why not try and get Bruce Arians. Pagano will be back next year for Indy meaning that Arians will go back to assistant or more likely move up to HC for someone else given that he did such a good job with Indy this year.

The only thing that worries me about Arians is if the Colts success is Arians coaching or if it's the fact that they are rallying around Pagano. The Colts are totally over achieveing this year and I'd like to see how the team plays after the the win for Pagano thing wears off.

#48 DeeJay

DeeJay

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationHell Paso Texas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Not another thread posted with this crap....

#49 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Oregon doesn't have a defense, I don't want a head coach who can't build a defense.

#50 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,776 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

I agree.
I don't know if Arians WANTS to be a HC tho.
Him and Pagano are BFF's. Something tells me he could stick with his buddy, especially after this "magic" season they are apparently having.

I like Roman, I like Shaw, I like Kelly.

Unlike the draft, there are several good names out there for coaching searches.
Which is a good thing, b/c I feel a TON of HC's are getting the boot on Black Monday.

i don't think arians is going anywhere either. my reasoning is that i doubt that pagano is completely healthy and apparently the colts team is in better shape than we are. they are running on emotion this year so arians staying there is likely going to be an emotional decision.

i like shaw pretty well. i REALLY like kelly. i'm not a fan of roman. he's another throwback run first guy. i think he's good with the run game but as vanilla and unsophisticated as it comes with the passing game. he's an OL coach which is a huge red flag for running an offense, imo. i just don't like the conservative nature of his mindset. as HC i would hope he would hire a good OC, i just fear that he would play it safe with the game management. more play not to lose. when russ grimm was one of the guys people were talking about as HC here i was pretty worried. i laughed at chitown when they made tice their OC. that team isn't winning on the genius of tice. if it weren't for their stud D that team would have a losing record. as little as i like the idea of another DC or defensive minded coach to come in here...i don't want an OLine coach as HC.

i just saw this today that kind of backs up my thinking on roman...

Roman is a run-first coordinator. I'll get to the reasons for that in a moment. He wants to run Gore up the middle to set up the passing game. But if Gore can't run up the middle — like against the Rams — Roman has no Plan B. And that means you can beat his offense by stopping Gore. Not good.

Roman's background is in the running game, not in the passing game. Well, he was a defensive lineman in college. When he finally got around to offense, he mostly coached the offensive line. At Stanford he was brought in as the running game coordinator, and that means he was not the passing game coordinator.

Offensive line coaches have a shortsighted view of the game. They look down at the ground or stare into the near field at the defensive linemen. They do not see the entire field. They lack a comprehensive view. While Roman's run concepts are sophisticated, his pass concepts are rudimentary, straight out of “Dick and Jane.”

See Jane run a simple route. See Dick throw the ball.

If you imagine Roman's passing game as chess, he is still messing around with his pawns and hasn't even discovered his knights and bishops.

Sinful.
http://www.pressdemo...p=3&tc=pg&tc=ar

#51 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,776 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

The only thing that worries me about Arians is if the Colts success is Arians coaching or if it's the fact that they are rallying around Pagano. The Colts are totally over achieveing this year and I'd like to see how the team plays after the the win for Pagano thing wears off.

rallying around pagano and luck is a really good QB. those two are the key ingredients to their success, imo...oh, and playing in a very easy division and having a pretty easy schedule doesn't hurt either.

#52 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,241 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

People assumed the Colts just became mediocre overnight when Peyton left and can't figure out how they got so good again so fast. They were never awful, just had Curtis fugging Painter at quarterback.

Let's not pretend, they tanked the poo out of the 2011 season. Enter Luck and the right staff and voila, playoffs.

#53 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

the one good/stout defense kelly faced this year(stanford; shaw) he lost too.. he might be a great coach in the NFL, no one knows for sure, but just think about that..

#54 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,710 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

2011 Pac12 coach of the year
2012 Pac12 coach of the year

They don't just hand those awards out to anyone. I'm on the bandwagon. Shaw or someone else.

#55 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

My only stipulation for our HC is that he was a successful HC in the BCS or higher. I'm not saying just anyone who fits that description, but that should be the first filter when the GM is screening candidates. Coordinators adjust quickly to the HC job often enough, but I don't want to go through the same thing we did with Rivera again. I think adjusting to the NFL is easier than learning how to HC.

No failed HCs and no never-been-HCs please.

#56 Raskle

Raskle

Zookeeper

• HUDDLER
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

How's about we get through finding a good GM first guys? I think once that happens, everything else will kind of fall into place. Chip Kelly could be a great NFL HC, however, if the personality doesn't mesh well with our new GM, then it won't happen here. The GM and HC have to get along for a franchise to be successful long-term. Just look at San Diego in the late 90s for a prime example of fail.

#57 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,776 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

My only stipulation for our HC is that he was a successful HC in the BCS or higher. I'm not saying just anyone who fits that description, but that should be the first filter when the GM is screening candidates. Coordinators adjust quickly to the HC job often enough, but I don't want to go through the same thing we did with Rivera again. I think adjusting to the NFL is easier than learning how to HC.

No failed HCs and no never-been-HCs please.

that's kind of where i am as well.

i want someone with experience managing a team, but good experience and i'd rather have someone on the upside of his career rather than the downside.

if the guy is coming from the college ranks, what is needed is good assistants/coordinators with a lot of pro level experience.

the win/loss record is important because they have to have a winning culture, but they don't have to be perfect because they won't be perfect here. they just have to know how to win and manage a team.

#58 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,149 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

I know I will get so much hate for this but I don't care.

SEAN PEYTON.

Proven he can take a team to the superbowl and win. Knows how to win in our divison. Will draft well and get us more offensive weapons for Cam which we need. Will command respect from the locker room. Give us the edge on the saints.

I understand the reasons why not. Like he coached the saints. Our fans hate him. but good HC's aren't easy to come by. I know we need a GM first. Which I want a GM who will make the moves in the draft to win now. We never trade up to get extra players we never do any of those things. We need to get that together and we need a offensive minded HC to progress Cam and put him and the team back on track to continue are run for Superbowl.

#59 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,149 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

that's kind of where i am as well.

i want someone with experience managing a team, but good experience and i'd rather have someone on the upside of his career rather than the downside.

if the guy is coming from the college ranks, what is needed is good assistants/coordinators with a lot of pro level experience.

the win/loss record is important because they have to have a winning culture, but they don't have to be perfect because they won't be perfect here. they just have to know how to win and manage a team.

Sean peyton. Winning track record and culture. Superbowl victory and multiple playoff runs. I want him and a new GM

#60 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,014 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Give me Chip Kelly or Saban from the college ranks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, Chip Kelly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.