Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drug addiction

38 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

At a broad level, I think the drug war is asinine

At one level as many have pointed out, one's drug of choice is a coping medicine

And at another level who have people who want it gone by the problems that seem to spring from it

Problem is how we've come to generalize "types" of drugs in this country. I think in order to gain perspective, we can't lump all of these drugs together and furthermore need to understand you can't just equate prohibition as the same as if drug addiction doesn't exist. Because this leads to the idiotic criminalization problems and societal fractures that create an even worse issue in the prison system of our country at a large scale and honestly damage a culture.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='FurdTurgason' timestamp='1354630057' post='2030798']
Which of the following statements do you agree with most and why?

1. People's inner demons exist before they take drugs, and that is why drugs take hold of them the way they do and therein lies the problem. Drugs aren't the problem and should be legalized.

2. People's inner demons are brought out by drugs and wouldn't surface otherwise. Drugs contort people's judgment and should not be legalized. They are the problem.
[/quote]

What drugs are we talking about exactly? Alcohol? Marijuana? Cocaine? Psilocybin? Heroine? Pharmies? The worst drugs out there are Alcohol, Coke, Heroine, Crystal Meth and Pharmies. If you're not a strong person it seems rather easy to let one of those substances take you for a dark ride.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='FurdTurgason' timestamp='1354630057' post='2030798']
Which of the following statements do you agree with most and why?

1. People's inner demons exist before they take drugs, and that is why drugs take hold of them the way they do and therein lies the problem. Drugs aren't the problem and should be legalized.

2. People's inner demons are brought out by drugs and wouldn't surface otherwise. Drugs contort people's judgment and should not be legalized. They are the problem.
[/quote]

First, enjoy the pie. My fat fingers must have thought you needed it.

Second, the demons are there before the drugs.

Being that most people don't know what these "demons" are and where they actually reside contributes to the blaming of substances.

Posted · Report post

Just say no. Unless it's weed of course

Posted · Report post

What about cigarettes/tobacco? No one associates smoking as some sort of coping mechanism, just a bad habit.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='natty' timestamp='1354652655' post='2031319']
What about cigarettes/tobacco? No one associates smoking as some sort of coping mechanism, just a bad habit.
[/quote]

Every smoker I ever knew openly admits that they are a coping mechanism.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='natty' timestamp='1354652655' post='2031319']
[/quote]

what?

the emotional relationship between a long-time tobacco user and his/her tobacco is one of the longest, strongest and most consistent relationships most people have...

"coping mechanism" doesn't even begin to describe it fully. "Bad habit" is straight denial.

< 13 year smoker.

Posted · Report post

It'a addition to the substance itself, not trying to blanket some kind of 'inner demon'.

If anyone uses the term 'coping mechanism' for smoking they're misusing the term.

Posted · Report post

"inner demon" is overly dramatic and shows a lack of experience with the reality of the addiction imo.

cigs are my friend. and I f*cking hate it... and love it.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

no, "inner demon" is a way for people to transfer responsibility from those that are actually responsible, themselves or loved ones

its not their fault they're addicted, its their [i]inner demons[/i]

Posted · Report post

addicts don't say "inner demons." people who talk about others' addictions use stupid hyperbole like that.

Posted · Report post

some addicts use the term inner demons, but its usually the ones trying to play the victim

"its not my fault i'm addicted, [i]addictive tendencies run in my family[/i]" is the exact same nonsense to me

but even when used by a non-addict to describe an addict, the purpose is to transfer responsibility from the addict to an abstract concept (my kid is a good kid syndrome, etc)