Photo
- - - - -

More evidence that the Human Race sucks (particularly New Yorkers)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,563 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

The New York Post is facing criticism over its decision to publish a front-page photo of a man, pushed onto the subway tracks in Midtown on Monday, trying to climb to safety before being fatally struck by an oncoming train.
Ki Suk Han, a 58-year-old from Queens, N.Y., was hurled from the 49th Street station platform onto the tracks by "a deranged man" around 12:30 p.m., according to the paper. Han was attempting to calm the man, apparently a panhandler, when a scuffle broke out, police say. The man then pushed him onto the tracks.
Witnesses told police the man had been harassing people on the platform. "At least one witness felt that the aggressor was emotionally disturbed," NYPD spokesman Paul Browne told The New York Times.
"Onlookers screamed, shouted and frantically waved their hands and bags in a bid to get the downtown Q train to stop," the Post reported.
R. Umar Abbasi, a freelance photographer, was among those waiting on the platform. He said he tried to alert the train's conductor with his camera. "I just started running, running, hoping that the driver could see my flash," Abbasi told the tabloid.
During the chaos, Abbasi managed to snap the photo that the Post splashed on its cover.
In a larger version of Abbasi's photo, people are seen huddled at one end of the platform in apparent fear.
"People were shouting and yelling when it happened," Dr. Laura Kaplan, another witness, said. "But then people ran the other way."
"DOOMED," the Post declared on its front page. "Pushed on the subway track, this man is about to die."
Abbasi did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment, nor did representatives for the paper. But plenty of Twitter users expressed outrage. "Sickening rubber-necking front page from the New York Post," Ian Prior wrote on Twitter. "Imagine how this man's family feels."
"I would drop dead if I saw a family member about to be run over by a train on the cover of a newspaper," Chris Spooner wrote. "@nypost trades in snuff."
"Shame on the NY Post," Haverly Elizabeth tweeted. "Though I am less then shocked they'd stoop so low."
"Wow," Daniel Joseph wrote. "The New York Post might be the most tasteless, disgusting, and despicable publication out right now. #Garbage #Classless."
"Horrifying," Katie Zezima wrote on Twitter. "Why did no one help?"
"It was a lot of confusion," Patrick Gomez, another witness, told amNewYork.com. "It was a lot of people getting scared."

http://news.yahoo.co...-173659604.html

Posted Image

No one attempted to help. No one was EVEN close to the guy. It's like everyone walked away to wash their hands of it. But some asshole took the time to pull out his camera and snap a picture that he could sell the to newspaper. My fuging god.

#2 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,457 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

This fug face had the balls to make a statement that he was trying to use the FLASH to warn the driver.

People are poo.

#3 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,820 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

I don't know what I would have personally done in that situation, but I like to think I would have tried to help the guy... I know for certain that I wouldn't have pulled out a camera and taken pictures of the guy dying.

The guy's excuse of trying to use the flash to warn the train driver is one of the most bullshit stories I've ever heard... and the Post is total garbage for publishing that picture.

#4 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

what a messy situation

#5 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,715 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

His life must have gotten...off track?

#6 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

I unintentionally derailed the thread, I think...

#7 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Subway, bloody subway

#8 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,457 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

There are a lot of videos of people being pushed onto the tracks and New Yorkers flooding to jump down after them and help. One recently with a woman and her kid where she just obliviously walked off and a bunch of people saved them.

#9 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,563 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

on a side note, how goddamned moronic is it to have an open drop off for anyone to just "fall" off of?

#10 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

i mean... it's the oldest and most extensive metro system in the world... overhauling 450+ stations is pretty cost and time prohibitive. not saying it's smart but if they started doing it EVERYONE would bitch about service interruptions for the 5+ (at least) years it would take.

#11 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

I've never rode on any subway system, but is there any yellow line or a do not cross line? You know...until the train has completely stopped?

#12 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

I understand a yellow line safe zone type thing won't stop a deranged man from pushing someone on the tracks but still.

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Sounds like the final Seinfeld episode...only darker.

#14 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

What was that movie where Tom Cruise was a hitman and Jamie Foxx a cab driver that drove him around all night? Started with a C. Tom Cruise's character talked about situations like this.

#15 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,457 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

I remember the music in that movie being freaking awful. They had like Nickelback songs playing over the dramatic moments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.