Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I going crazy/Strange Concerns... (Prepping)

146 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

28 years and the NRC didnt catch this?

Duke has not escaped censure on the nuclear front. The Union of Concerned Scientists tagged Duke’s triple-reactor Oconee plant in South Carolina as one of the industry’s “near misses” in 2011. Plant workers discovered that Oconee’s backup reactor core cooling system, because of wrong settings by employees, had been inoperative for 28 years. The safety feature was added in 1983 in response to the meltdown at the Three Mile Island plant, which is the same design as Oconee.

[url="http://www.journalnow.com/business/article_e570c09f-934d-52de-9991-d78162aaa1c5.html"]http://www.journalnow.com/business/article_e570c09f-934d-52de-9991-d78162aaa1c5.html[/url]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Hawk' timestamp='1354744333' post='2032898']
nuclear plants, chemical plants, refineries....all of them....all designed to shut themselves down when the power goes out. They will flare like poo but they will shut themselves down in a safe manner....yes...even with a 100% power outage!
[/quote]

wrong

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nc_biscuit' timestamp='1354744313' post='2032897']
I've been inside the plant in Southport, granted it was in 1994, but still... that place is top notch.

It is also not near a fault or nearly as close to the ocean as Fukushima was... not saying that they can't have issues, I'm just thinking it's a lot less likely.
[/quote]

it is near a fault line

The Brunswick plant is built near a fault line that runs along the Carolinas coast from Charleston, S.C.,Hughes says.

[url="http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2011/03/14/progress-energy-plant-built-on-same.html"]http://www.bizjourna...lt-on-same.html[/url]

Almost 25 General Electric-designed nuclear reactors in the United States are very similar to reactors in Japan threatened with a catastrophic meltdown.

The 23 American reactors in 13 states are GE boiling-water reactors with GE's Mark I systems for containing radioactivity, the same containment system used by the reactors in trouble at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, according to a Nuclear Regulatory Commission database that MSNBC accessed.

In addition, 12 American reactors in seven states have the later Mark II or Mark III containment system from GE.

An explosion occurred Monday at a second reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi facility, following Saturday’s explosion at another reactor there, and engineers are desperately trying to stave off a meltdown of the reactor cores.

The six reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant are all GE-designed boiling-water reactors, according to the anti-nuclear advocacy group Nuclear Information and Resources Service (NIRS).

The group says that five have containment systems of GE's Mark I design, and the sixth is a Mark II design. They were placed in operation between 1971 and 1979.

The Mark I has design problems, the NIRS has said.

"Some modifications have been made to U.S. Mark I reactors since 1986, although the fundamental design deficiencies remain," the NIRS said.

The following 23 U.S. plants have GE boiling-water reactors (GE models 2, 3 or 4) with the same Mark I containment design used at Fukushima, according to the NRC online database:

[list]
[*]Browns Ferry 1, Athens, Ala., operating license since 1973, reactor type GE 4
[*]Browns Ferry 2, Athens, Ala., 1974, GE 4
[*]Browns Ferry 3, Athens, Ala., 1976, GE 4
[*]Brunswick 1, Southport, N.C, 1976, GE 4.
[*]Brunswick 2, Southport, N.C., 1974, GE 4.
[*]Cooper, Brownville, Neb., 1974, GE 4.
[*]Dresden 2, Morris, Ill., 1970, GE 3.
[*]Dresden 3, Morris, Ill., 1971, GE 3.
[*]Duane Arnold, Palo, Iowa, 1974, GE 4.
[*]Fermi 2, Monroe, Mich., 1985, GE 4.
[*]FitzPatrick, Scriba, N.Y., 1974, GE 4.
[*]Hatch 1, Baxley, Ga., 1974, GE 4.
[*]Hatch 2, Baxley, Ga., 1978, GE 4.
[*]Hope Creek, Hancock's Bridge, N.J. 1986, GE 4.
[*]Monticello, Monticello, Minn., 1970, GE 3.
[*]Nine Mile Point 1, Scriba, N.Y., 1969, GE 2.
[*]Oyster Creek, Forked River, N.J., 1969, GE 2.
[*]Peach Bottom 2, Delta, Pa., 1973, GE 4.
[*]Peach Bottom 3, Delta, Pa., 1974, GE 4.
[*]Pilgrim, Plymouth, Mass., 1972, GE 3.
[*]Quad Cities 1, Cordova, Ill., 1972, GE 3.
[*]Quad Cities 2, Moline, Ill., 1972, GE 3.
[*]Vermont Yankee, Vernon, Vt., 1972, GE 4.
[/list]

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com [url="http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/GE-reactors-Japan-UnitedStates/2011/03/14/id/389407#ixzz2EE6UdDi0"]http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/GE-reactors-Japan-UnitedStates/2011/03/14/id/389407#ixzz2EE6UdDi0[/url]

Posted · Report post

There's ancient faults everywhere... I don't think whatever fault theyre referring to is an issue.

Posted · Report post

Oh my god tomcat you better move!!!

Posted · Report post

Seriously though. The NRC won't allow a plant to operate if its got something questionable going on. Not since 3 mile aisle. That's why outages at Brunswick have gone for 3 months compared to 3 weeks at well maintained plants. Ideally a plant only wants to be down long enough to inspect some things and satisfy NRC requirements while refueling. That never happens at Brunswick.

Posted · Report post

your peace of mind is important and is worth a cost to a point.....don't go crazy spending all sorts of money on this stuff. Not bad to be prepared, bad to sacrifice for something that statistically probably won't happen.

Posted · Report post

Lol, watch there be a surge in doomsday prepping nationwide now...

With a hit zombie show on now, a couple of zombie movies, virus reports/movies, and shows like Doomsday Preppers, people are gonna start getting paranoid. Case and point, this thread.

My question is, what exactly are you preparing for?

Posted · Report post

And FWIW, I stocked up on guns and ammo.
Started doing Urban Farming....and I have seeds to continue growing crops. I also taught myself how to can and pickle foods.

Posted · Report post

Also, am I the only one who reads Fukushima as *** u shima...
...who's shima :(

Posted · Report post

I've been steadily adding to my spank-bank in the event that access to the internet is cut off

Posted · Report post

[indent=1]i see kurb has been taking my 2014 cryptic posts from time to time seriously.[/indent]

[indent=1]ya gotta be VERY contrarian when it comes to this. the social disorder philly mentions to me is hands down the paradigm shift if something bad happens. homework. study peoples tendancies when something bad happens like a hurricane etc. watch the news and just pay attention. what are the common jam ups? what causes skrimishes etc? basics. food and gas.[/indent]

[indent=1]but if big things happen, you will have to avoid crowds and running with the pack for at least the first 6-9 months. have your share of supplies and stuff you may never think of. from a good ole can opener to eye glasses to basic first aid kit stuff to wire cutters you name it. at some point you will have to break into or OUT of something. better have the tools.[/indent]
[indent=1]you know what plants you can or can't eat? which ones produces water?[/indent]

[indent=1]if you can go somewhere and hole up for that 6 month or so window, you then get a better idea of who is left, who is in charge and who wants power. you also see who else was prepared as well as who has water. which will be mucho more precious than gold.[/indent]

[indent=1]that means coastal towns will be over run. you will want to be at least 5-7 miles from a water source.[/indent]
[indent=1]also, good idea to have a cb radio or two way. fema will own cell reception and bandwidth so your cool phone and apps might not last long.[/indent]
[indent=1]don't expect your gps on your phone to help for too long. not to mention it will allow those in power to know your whereabouts.[/indent]

[indent=1]contrarians win. im telling you.[/indent]