Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurb

Am I going crazy/Strange Concerns... (Prepping)

146 posts in this topic

I grew up on the farm when I was a kid. We lived of land... honey bee's are a must but u gotta know how to take care of em or they wont make it past winter.

good luck keeping honey bees alive without modern chemicals - all the diseases and parasites these days that honey bees get make it very unlikely.

I agree.

I have a buddy that wanted a Home Defense gun.

I told him to get a Mossberg500 or a Remy 870.

He bought a 900$ AR-15....

Then he bought a SAIGA

Now he wants another AR-15.

I told him the other day I prayed he never gets robbed because he will murder his entire family shooting through his drywall walls trying to hit the robber.

I'm keeping it simple, 9mm handgun, .22 rifle, 12G shotty.

Most 9mm and 12 Gauge rounds will penetrate multiple layers of drywall, bird shot being the exception. A 223 or 5.56 round is a higher velocity round, some test show that the 5.56/223 will begin fragmenting before a 9mm round when fired through drywall.

I have a Nook.

You bought a Betamax back in the day, too I bet.

Kindle app is free on most smartphones/tablets.

1 person likes this

For anyone questioning these replies, I used to work in the nuke biz.

It is the GE site. It shows on the map because fuel rods are manufactured there. Also, service tools that come back from service jobs are worked on there, and they are HOT. They have to be worked on in special areas while wearing PPE.

Pretty sure the markers are for sites and not units.

Correct. NRC won't let anything happen to us.

For your information the reactors at Fukushima were GE boiling water reactors of the exact same design and generation as the 2 located in Southport - not a damn bit of difference - they even store the spent fuel rods in pools of water that must constantly be cooled with pumped water just like the ones in Fukushima. There are others located throughout the US as well - if my memory is correct there are about a dozen others currently operating in this country.

For your information the reactors at Fukushima were GE boiling water reactors of the exact same design and generation as the 2 located in Southport - not a damn bit of difference - they even store the spent fuel rods in pools of water that must constantly be cooled with pumped water just like the ones in Fukushima. There are others located throughout the US as well - if my memory is correct there are about a dozen others currently operating in this country.

You are correct that Fukushima has GE BWR designs. They aren't exactly like Southport though. The NRC governs Southport, and as a GE contractor for 7+ years I saw that place shut down for 2 months at a time to repair flaws that made the site unfit for operation in the eyes of the NRC. That is one governing agency that does not fug around.

Fukushima was obviously governed by Japan's commission, and mainly due to that the peripheral systems were a great deal different than what they would be in the US.

Skimmed through this but loss of external power is an obvious contingency for nuclear reactors worldwide. You can shut down a nuclear plant quickly. I don't think it's true at all that if power is out for a long period of time the reactor is going to meltdown.

As an example, this plant was automatically shut down when the power went out posing no danger to anyone:

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1622349458/Regulatory-spokeswoman-No-danger-from-Byron-nuclear-plant-shutdown

Additionally any meltdown is going to be pretty localized. A chernobyl type event is basically impossible in the USA

I'm interested in doing a bit of prepping though. We have a lake behind my house that would be perfect for water purification.

I've been inside the plant in Southport, granted it was in 1994, but still... that place is top notch.

It is also not near a fault or nearly as close to the ocean as Fukushima was... not saying that they can't have issues, I'm just thinking it's a lot less likely.

nuclear plants, chemical plants, refineries....all of them....all designed to shut themselves down when the power goes out. They will flare like poo but they will shut themselves down in a safe manner....yes...even with a 100% power outage!

1 person likes this

nuclear plants, chemical plants, refineries....all of them....all designed to shut themselves down when the power goes out. They will flare like poo but they will shut themselves down in a safe manner....yes...even with a 100% power outage!

Yeah this.

Not saying there aren't some dangers in the event of societal collapse but it will be minor compared to everything else..