• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#76 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • 29,582 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Lord help me, if the next coaching staff employ the read option as a base offense my ire will be entirely centered on them.

if they know what they're doing and how to run it effectively, i don't have a problem with it. if they have the personnel to make it work, i have no problem with it.

i don't think this team has all the personnel needed nor does it have an OC gameplanning or calling the plays who knows how to run it well.

#77 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,779 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

if they know what they're doing and how to run it effectively, i don't have a problem with it. if they have the personnel to make it work, i have no problem with it.

i don't think this team has all the personnel needed nor does it have an OC gameplanning or calling the plays who knows how to run it well.

I get what you mean, but I absolutely don't want that route.

Like I said elsewhere, this next year or so is a 'make or break' type transition. I absolutely want that period to occur in the environment of a pro style offense.

#78 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,582 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

I get what you mean, but I absolutely don't want that route.

Like I said elsewhere, this next year or so is a 'make or break' type transition. I absolutely want that period to occur in the environment of a pro style offense.

i don't think it matters and i still think people get waaaaayyyyy too hung up on this "pro style" offense. there is no one pro style offense. spread...read option...coryell...wco....it's all pro style because it's all getting used. the offense known as "pro-style" is evolving to look more like what is being done in college.

i just don't think it matters whether or not an offense is considered traditional or not. what matters is that the scheme fits the personnel, is run well, is dominant, and is adaptable to the situation.

#79 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,779 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

i don't think it matters and i still think people get waaaaayyyyy too hung up on this "pro style" offense. there is no one pro style offense. spread...read option...coryell...wco....it's all pro style because it's all getting used. the offense known as "pro-style" is evolving to look more like what is being done in college.

i just don't think it matters whether or not an offense is considered traditional or not. what matters is that the scheme fits the personnel, is run well, is dominant, and is adaptable to the situation.

I don't have one particular offense in mind when I say that. Coryell, Earhardt-Perkins and West Coast are the most commonly used 'pro-style' offenses.

What I do know is that certain schemes which work at the college level just don't transition well to the pro level, primarily because of the differences in speed and overall talent level. The read option is one of them.

Can it be successfully used as an occasional look? Yeah. As a base offense? Don't think so.

#80 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • 4,874 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Read option should be a wrinkle that forces defenses to prepare for something unconventional. Not a base. It's hard to run a decent play action out of the read option.

#81 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,582 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

I don't have one particular offense in mind when I say that. Coryell, Earhardt-Perkins and West Coast are the most commonly used 'pro-style' offenses.

What I do know is that certain schemes which work at the college level just don't transition well to the pro level, primarily because of the differences in speed and overall talent level. The read option is one of them.

Can it be successfully used as an occasional look? Yeah. As a base offense? Don't think so.

it's not transitioning well so far mainly because of the lack of experience playing in it (i'm looking at the players that have been around for the past 10 years or so) and the lack of experience or knowledge of it from a traditionally slow to evolve and reluctant to change NFL community.

the thing is, though, that the spread is catching on and spreading and the rules protecting the passing the passing game only make it more attractive to teams. it's being used by more and more teams as much as a base offense as anything else.

the league is evolving, though, and it's better to be on the front end of that than one of those hanging on to tradition. you adapt or die. the WCO is dying out. the erhardt-perkins and the coryell are evolving and looking very different from their original inceptions and they are taking on elements of the spread, but they will eventually be replaced.

spread offenses are not traditional, but neither were the WCO, erhardt-perkins, or coryell in the 70's and 80s when they hit the scene. traditional doesn't mean more effective or better. it just means used more until it's replaced with what becomes the new tradition (which are spread offenses).

like i said, it doesn't matter what you run as long as you've got personnel to fit it and knowledgable coaches running it.

#82 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,582 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Read option should be a wrinkle that forces defenses to prepare for something unconventional. Not a base. It's hard to run a decent play action out of the read option.

not if you are in the pistol formation.

#83 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• HUDDLER
  • 4,874 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

not if you are in the pistol formation.

It's not the formation, it's the fact that the QB usually can't set his feet properly with the option fake.

#84 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • 29,582 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

It's not the formation, it's the fact that the QB usually can't set his feet properly with the option fake.

a lot of it can be fixed in the pistol. it's not as effective as coming from under center, but it's better than being in the shotgun.

#85 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

What are the odds that TheLapTop is not somebody's alt account?

#86 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

• HUDDLER
  • 4,874 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

Yeah that was the problem, i sent them a mail to add retard as a language though so I should be good...btw I genuinely hope that your mom gets raped and killed in front of you and if you have any kind of daughter same thing happens to them.

That's over the goddamn line.

#87 Gin and Juice

Gin and Juice

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

Yeah that was the problem, i sent them a mail to add retard as a language though so I should be good...btw I genuinely hope that your mom gets raped and killed in front of you and if you have any kind of daughter same thing happens to them.

Karma is going to be a royal bitch to you!

#88 BadMoonRising

BadMoonRising

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationMonroe, LA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

WTF......

#89 il Malocchio

il Malocchio

formerly j2sgam...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,844 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

that aint cool... I dont care who you are or what yous are talkin about.....

#90 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 17,945 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

WTF......

This.

Padula sounds like a damn phsyco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.