Photo
- - - - -

Want to see how the US military justifies killing children?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

CAMP LEATHERNECK, Afghanistan — When Marines in Helmand province sized up shadowy figures that appeared to be emplacing an improvised explosive device, it looked like a straightforward mission. They got clearance for an airstrike, a Marine official said, and took out the targets.

It wasn’t that simple, however. Three individuals hit were 12, 10 and 8 years old, leading the International Security Assistance Force in Kabul to say it may have “accidentally killed three innocent Afghan civilians.”

But a Marine official here raised questions about whether the children were “innocent.” Before calling for the M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System mission in mid-October, Marines observed the children digging a hole in a dirt road in Nawa district, the official said, and the Taliban may have recruited the children to carry out the mission.

The incident underscores a continuing problem across Afghanistan. The use of children by the Taliban — through recruitment and as human shields — complicates coalition forces’ efforts to eliminate enemy fighters from the battlefield without angering civilians.

The New York Times reported that the dead children’s family members said they had been sent to gather dung, which farmers use for fuel. Taliban fighters were laying the bombs near the children, who were mistakenly killed, they said.

Regardless, it’s one of many times the children have been involved in the war. In a case this year, Afghan National Police in Kandahar province’s Zharay district found two boys, ages 9 and 11, with a male 18-year-old carrying 1-liter soda bottles full of enough potassium chlorate to kill coalition forces on a foot patrol.

“It kind of opens our aperture,” said Army Lt. Col. Marion “Ced” Carrington, whose unit, 1st Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, was assisting the Afghan police. “In addition to looking for military-age males, it’s looking for children with potential hostile intent.”

http://www.militaryt...an-kids-120312w

There you go.

#2 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,365 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

And folks wonder why the natives are hostile.

#3 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,154 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

damn liberal media stymieing the war effort! if only macarthur had been making the decisions and not stupid politicians and their 'ethics' we'd have won the vietnam war hands down with uncontrolled use of exfoliants and napalm but noooooo can't kill kids

#4 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,801 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

damn liberal media stymieing the war effort! if only macarthur had been making the decisions and not stupid politicians and their 'ethics' we'd have won the vietnam war hands down with uncontrolled use of exfoliants and napalm but noooooo can't kill kids

...and apparently Kill Haruki Nakamura's family? Noooooo!

oh wait he isnt From vietnam....

#5 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

I try to put myself in these people's shoes...

How would I feel if a foreign force were in the United States, and my kids were drawing with chalk on the asphalt in front of our house, and this happened? I would be planning on killing those fugers. As many as I could.

I wish our troops would come home and STAY home.

#6 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

So the kids are innocent because the parents sent them out for some poo?

#7 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

kids make the best killers

doesn't make killing them any less fuged up

#8 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

So the kids are innocent because the parents sent them out for some poo?

Huh? This question confuses me.

#9 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,361 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

So what is Obama doing about it?

#10 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

There were a lot of children used in Vietnam. They would walk up to a helicopter and toss in a grenade, killing several U.S. soldiers in the process.

If these kids were truly innocent then this is an awful story and there is no justification. If this was a situation like Vietnam, though, then the parents' story that they were sending their kids out to collect dung doesn't pass the smell test.

#11 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

There were a lot of children used in Vietnam. They would walk up to a helicopter and toss in a grenade, killing several U.S. soldiers in the process.

If these kids were truly innocent then this is an awful story and there is no justification. If this was a situation like Vietnam, though, then the parents' story that they were sending their kids out to collect dung doesn't pass the smell test.

is it reasonable to suggest a sort of age of self-determination wherein an individual becomes responsible for his own actions, whereas someone under that age is not guilty by proxy of their use by larger forces?

in other words, if a military force tells 8-year-old johnny that those guys in that helicopter are enemy invaders, and they're going to kill his mom if he doesn't toss a grenade in it, and he tosses the grenade and kills them, he is guilty of having done the deed, but it was no act of self-determination that inspired him; it was his position of ultimate helplessness within the context of his nation's struggle that forced him into it.

#12 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

is it reasonable to suggest a sort of age of self-determination wherein an individual becomes responsible for his own actions, whereas someone under that age is not guilty by proxy of their use by larger forces?

in other words, if a military force tells 8-year-old johnny that those guys in that helicopter are enemy invaders, and they're going to kill his mom if he doesn't toss a grenade in it, and he tosses the grenade and kills them, he is guilty of having done the deed, but it was no act of self-determination that inspired him; it was his position of ultimate helplessness within the context of his nation's struggle that forced him into it.

It doesn't matter. You kill the kid to protect your fellow soldiers. War sucks, but it is what it is.

#13 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

It doesn't matter. You kill the kid to protect your fellow soldiers. War sucks, but it is what it is.

in a vacuum i agree.

but war is not a vacuum and when children are killed the finger points necessarily (or should) not at the soldier who pulled the trigger but at the individuals or entity that caused the war to begin with.

#14 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'm so fed up with America being the "world police force". I'm sick of the UN. I would've voted for Ron Paul but I knew it was a lost cause. Please don't ever call me a republican again! Lol.

We need to take care of us. First and foremost.

#15 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

gotta kill a few kids to make an omelet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.