• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#11 ZB1224

ZB1224

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationWinston Salem
HUDDLER

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

How? You have to start the list with Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Shaq O'Neal, Wilt Chamberlain, and George Mikan. He may even be behind Jerry West. He is somewhere in the same category as Elgin Baylor. So I put Kobe somewhere in the 6-8 best Laker of all time list. Look at those names though. That is still good company.

And top 10 all time is really pushing it. I have a hard time finding a spot for him in the top 10 all time. Who are your top ten players all time??

My own personal top 10 list?

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Kareem
4. Russell
5. Wilt
6. Bird/Kobe
7. Kobe/Bird
8. Duncan
9. Shaq
10. Hakeem

West and the Big O right outside. LeBron also on the brink of cracking the top 10.

#12 nickzz

nickzz
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

How? You have to start the list with Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Shaq O'Neal, Wilt Chamberlain, and George Mikan. He may even be behind Jerry West. He is somewhere in the same category as Elgin Baylor. So I put Kobe somewhere in the 6-8 best Laker of all time list. Look at those names though. That is still good company.

And top 10 all time is really pushing it. I have a hard time finding a spot for him in the top 10 all time. Who are your top ten players all time??

i'm too lazy to think of a top 10 of all time. but you think wilt was a better LAKER than kobe? ridiculous.

#13 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

i'm too lazy to think of a top 10 of all time. but you think wilt was a better LAKER than kobe? ridiculous.

I was talking about players who played for the Lakers for an extended period in general, not exclusively their time with the Lakers, however:

People act like Wilt was garbage when he played for the Lakers because he didn't average 50 points, but he averaged nearly 20 points, 19 rebounds, and 4 assists a game in his 5 years there and won a title. He led the NBA in rebounding all 5 seasons he was with the Lakers.

He also shot close to 60% from the field. And averaged well over 20 rebounds per game in all 5 playoff runs he had with the Lakers. He was also the NBA Finals MVP in '72 Yeah, I would say he was better than Kobe even while he was a Laker.

#14 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

My own personal top 10 list?

1. MJ
2. Magic
3. Kareem
4. Russell
5. Wilt
6. Bird/Kobe
7. Kobe/Bird
8. Duncan
9. Shaq
10. Hakeem

West and the Big O right outside. LeBron also on the brink of cracking the top 10.

Looking at this list outside of Wilt and Russell you would think basketball wasn't even played before 1980.

No Havlicek, Dr. J or Mikan??

No Jerry West or Big O??

C'mon man

#15 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

HUDDLER

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Mikan? lol

Hell, I'm not sure I would put Russell or Wilt in the top 10. The competition back in the day was a joke, basically up until the ABA/ NBA merger the league was mostly unathletic white guys.

#16 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Mikan? lol

Hell, I'm not sure I would put Russell or Wilt in the top 10. The competition back in the day was a joke, basically up until the ABA/ NBA merger the league was mostly unathletic white guys.

George Mikan was a transformative player who truly changed the game of basketball and brought it to the masses for the first time since its invention in a big time way. He is the Godfather of basketball.

He also only played 7 seasons and won 5 championships.

#17 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Since I am talking poo about your lists I should put mine up so you can return the favor and poo on my list.

1. MJ
2. Russell
3. Wilt
4. Magic
5. Mikan
6. Kareem
7. Dr. J
8. Oscar Robertson
9. Larry Bird
10. Jerry West

Bring it I will defend each and every selection :)

PS-

11. Shaq
12. Duncan
13 Hakeem
14- Havlicek
15- Cousy

Kobe is in the next 5 somewhere.

#18 ZB1224

ZB1224

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationWinston Salem
HUDDLER

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Looking at this list outside of Wilt and Russell you would think basketball wasn't even played before 1980.

No Jerry West or Big O??

C'mon man

I got West right outside the top 10. I can't put a guy that lost 8 finals series and won only 1 championship ahead of Kobe. I just can't do that, and most people won't do that either. I also have Big O right outside of the top 10... like most other people.

Havlicek was good, but 20 ppg (44% shooting), 4.8 apg, 6.3 rpg isn't even close to Kobe. He was a winner as evidenced by his 8 titles, but he wasn't what Kobe has been in the NBA. Dr. J was nice, but his stats pale in comparison to Kobe as well. He was definitely an innovator and helped change the game of basketball and I respect him for that (as well as his game), but he just wasn't as good as Kobe Bryant is. Lastly, Mikan? Seriously? He was the pioneer for big men, but once the lane was widened he was rendered ineffective because of his lack of athleticism. He also played in the most watered down era of hoops.

I'm not going to call you a Kobe hater, but it's clear that you don't respect him nearly as much as you should. I can only think of 1 guy who would give Kobe a run for his money 1 on 1 and that is MJ. Oh, but basketball is a team game as well? Ok, there are only a handful of guys who have won more than Kobe. Kobe will finish in the top 5 whether you like it or not.

#19 ZB1224

ZB1224

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationWinston Salem
HUDDLER

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Since I am talking poo about your lists I should put mine up so you can return the favor and poo on my list.

1. MJ
2. Russell
3. Wilt
4. Magic
5. Mikan
6. Kareem
7. Dr. J
8. Oscar Robertson
9. Larry Bird
10. Jerry West

Bring it I will defend each and every selection :)

PS-

11. Shaq
12. Duncan
13 Hakeem
14- Havlicek
15- Cousy

Kobe is in the next 5 somewhere.

I'm not going to trash your list, because it isn't terrible. I just don't agree with #5, #7, #14, #15 or putting Shaq and Duncan ahead of Kobe.

#20 nickzz

nickzz
HUDDLER

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

No Jerry West or Big O??

C'mon man

that's because those are literally the only two players that can really compare with 1980 and on players (of course there are more, but fug it). jerry west was a great player for his time, but lets be real here...

the 80s and 90s were pretty much golden years for basketball. crazy amounts of talent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users