Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodell considers changes to kickoff

75 posts in this topic

Posted

You're telling me, man. Ever since they have every TO and TD reviewable, I'm pretty sure I'm watching more commercial than game time when it's all said and done.

It's brutal at the game too. At least you have different commercials. We have to wave our AAA cards and dance for diamonds. Actually the dancing is funny sometimes.

The easiest thing to do is get rid of the 2 minute warning at least for the first half. If you are stopping the game for every damn thing at least take out the purely arbitrary stoppage.

This year, maybe it was the Seattle game, a play was reviewed with like 2:15 left in the first half. After the lengthy review we called timeout (WHY?). Then one play and the 2:00 warning. Then a couple more timeouts and finally the end of the half with maybe a FG in there. It took like 15 minutes to get through the last 2:15 it seemed.

I think players would like it more too. How many times have the players lined up for a crucial 3rd down after having stood around staring at the big screen

Posted

I'd do the same thing with point afters also. Score a TD you get 6 points, then you can choose to take the automatic 1 point or go for 2.

Maybe that'd be better; in the world of Gano, those 1 pointers aren't gimme's

Posted

You're telling me, man. Ever since they have every TO and TD reviewable, I'm pretty sure I'm watching more commercial than game time when it's all said and done.

This is why you need NFL redzone

Posted

Goodell is a garbage commissioner. Don't change the kickoff

Posted

This man needs to go

Posted

So basically, if a team has a very good passing game, there's the potential in this proposed rule for an opposing team to literally not even touch the ball for 99% of the game. Worst idea I've ever heard.

Posted

I actually like it but it's too far back. Move it to the 35 or 40.

I disagree. I think a 4th and 15 is easier to complete than an inside kick recovery and that would put them too close to FG range.

Posted

Man, that would be absolutely awesome and I'm pretty sure the players would be fully behind it... Well, everyone except Devin Hester.

I admit, it would feel kind of like watching a game of Madden, but that would be so much more exciting... Even more than the old kickoffs, mainly because it requires coaches to use strategy and exercise some sort of decision making each time rather than just kicking it off and getting ready for defense - which is usually what happens now and even before. Only person really concerned with kickoffs is ST coaches.

I also think it could be much more exciting than the current or old system in regards to potential for more points scored combined. I would really like them to implement it and see where it goes.

Posted

So basically, if a team has a very good passing game, there's the potential in this proposed rule for an opposing team to literally not even touch the ball for 99% of the game. Worst idea I've ever heard.

But, if you have a really good defense and a solid running game, you have huge potential to do the keep the ball out of their possession as well and possibly blow them out.

Posted

But, if you have a really good defense and a solid running game, you have huge potential to do the keep the ball out of their possession as well and possibly blow them out.

So basically this single rule changes the entire game of football and it becomes just a game of who can cheese their punts the most.

No surprise this idiocy was Greg Schiano's idea.

Posted

Just give it to the team at the 20 for christ sake. This sounds idiotic.

Posted

Honestly there are injuries every game, but I can't even remember the last time there was a major one on a kick return. I have no idea why they put so much focus on changing them for the sake of injury when the majority of injuries come from simple things like your own team mate rolling over your leg.