#1 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

Not what you're expecting.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2250814.html

She didn't give him money. She gave him food every day and more importantly, she treated him with dignity. Great story.

#2 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,974 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

FANTASTIC story.

Giving him food and helping someone in need was great. But what really made this special was the fact that she took time to get to know him, sit down and have lunch with him over and over......basically treat him like any other "friend" that you would have.

This girl has amazing heart and character.....just amazing.

#3 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

Which is what we should do,

Do what is right and without expectations or stipulations

#4 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Which is what we should do,

Do what is right and without expectations or stipulations

Totally agree. Where we part is the giving them money thing. You say it's up to them what they do with it and it's out of your hands at that point. I say if I know what they're going to do with it, I'm not helping them. They got drunk and I'm out money that I could have used more wisely.

What this girl did was what all of us should do.

#5 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,398 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Well that and we decided as a country we should just let our crazy people wander the streets rather than have them in institutions.

#6 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Totally agree. Where we part is the giving them money thing. You say it's up to them what they do with it and it's out of your hands at that point. I say if I know what they're going to do with it, I'm not helping them. They got drunk and I'm out money that I could have used more wisely.

What this girl did was what all of us should do.

You don't know and are stereotyping. What if you gave out 100 $100 bills. 99 people went out and spent it on drugs...but 1 person it truly helped out.

Was it not worth it?

I say yes.

#7 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Well that and we decided as a country we should just let our crazy people wander the streets rather than have them in institutions.

We didn't decide that as a country. Some specific people decided it.

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

#8 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

You don't know and are stereotyping. What if you gave out 100 $100 bills. 99 people went out and spent it on drugs...but 1 person it truly helped out.

Was it not worth it?

I say yes.

Really? You've spent $10,000 just to give one person $100.

#9 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Really? You've spent $10,000 just to give one person $100.

No it was an example. Sorry but there's no ROI in charity.

If you don't want to give money to them, then don't.... just don't discourage other people from being charitable just because of anecdotal evidence or/and stereotypical assumptions.

#10 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

No it was an example. Sorry but there's no ROI in charity.

I think there is. The return is watching that person get back on their feet, or that animal or whatever cause you choose to give your money to. Or maybe it's watching a dying child enjoy a dream weekend before they succumb to the inevitable. Or kids have Christmas gifts they otherwise wouldn't get and seeing the relief in the parents' eyes.

There is most definitely a return on investment in charity.

#11 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,398 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

One of the dumbest ideas that exists in our world is the idea that everything would work better if it were run as you would a for profit business.

#12 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think there is. The return is watching that person get back on their feet, or that animal or whatever cause you choose to give your money to. Or maybe it's watching a dying child enjoy a dream weekend before they succumb to the inevitable. Or kids have Christmas gifts they otherwise wouldn't get and seeing the relief in the parents' eyes.

There is most definitely a return on investment in charity.

If you think there's a ROI in charity you're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Watching a dying child enjoy a dream weekend makes YOU feel better, giving kids christmas gifts makes YOU feel better.

You agree with Panthro when he says to 'do what's right without stipulations' and then say he'd waste 10 grand. You can't have it both ways.

#13 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

If you think there's a ROI in charity you're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Watching a dying child enjoy a dream weekend makes YOU feel better, giving kids christmas gifts makes YOU feel better.

You agree with Panthro when he says to 'do what's right without stipulations' and then say he'd waste 10 grand. You can't have it both ways.

Bullshit. The return isn't financial. The return is helping others.

#14 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Yet you quantified it by saying he'd spent 10k to give 100. Giving is giving - to do what is right without expectations or stipulations.

#15 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

You're crazy. We have a charity here in Louisville called Crusade for Children. The scumbag who runs it was just busted for stealing $200,000 from it. You wanna write Crusade for Children a check now? Or do you want to find another charity where your money brings the return of actually helping someone. If you say you don't care then I don't know what to tell you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.