R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,133 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

My week as a welfare queen

I have an old friend who resides in another state whom I haven't visited in many years, basically since high school. We caught up on social media a few years ago and have since corresponded much about our lives. From these conversations I did realize she doesn't work (I thought due to medical reasons) and I knew she was on some government assistance, but oh little did I know. She eventually invited me for a week visit to her home and for the first time ever, I was truly enlightened to the life and times of a real life welfare queen.

Upon my arrival I pulled up to a fairly large apartment complex, complete with an inground swimming pool, playground and other amenities. My first impression was not the ritz but not too shabby either. Her apartment was a 2 level duplex which consisted of 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a private courtyard on the ground level. It was pretty nice inside, updated appliances, new carpeting and very spacious. Being there are 4 able bodied adults in the house, it didn't immediately don on me that I was standing in a government subsidized apartment.

Tired and hungry from my long trip the first night my hosts decided we go out for pizza. Great! I love pizza. We went to a local pizza shop that's set up in a receiving line, like Subway, where you tell the employees what toppings to put on your pizza. The options were endless and one could really build a whopping delicious pizza. The price? $ 17.99 per pizza. Whoa that's a little expensive for my taste but my hosts assured me they have it all covered so pizza it is. We gathered up 4 delicious topping filled pizzas and some bottled soda and I gulped hard when I saw the total, nearly $80. I stood there in total shock when my host paid the entire tab with her FOOD STAMP card. My mind began to race, questioning if this woman just spent her monthly allotment of food on one meal, while at the same time in disbelief one can even purchase such things on a food stamp card. I felt guilty, confused.

A few hours later we were back at the house sitting around playing cards and I could take my curiosity no more and brought up my concerns. I was greeted with laughter and assurance that there's no way they can run out of food stamps. In fact, they shared with me that between all of them they receive well over $1200 a month in food stamps, far more than they need. They confided in me how they 'play the system' to aquire such a large allotment, which I'll explain a little later so keep reading.

Day 2 of my trip it was chilly in the morning. I mentioned I was cold due to not bringing a jacket for the chilly weather as I'm from the south and didn't think how cold it would be up north while packing and that I would like to go to Walmart to pick up a sweatshirt. They looked a little confused that I considered paying for a sweatshirt and had a better plan, instantly they said 'we'll take you shopping come on!'. We got into the car and they stopped at this large brick building. Two of them went inside (on some kind of errand I assumed) and came out less than 10 minutes later and we continued on our way to the 'store'. We pulled up to a thrift store. Great! I love thrift stores! It was then they showed me the vouchers they had just picked up at the previous stop. Each voucher was for 50 items in the thrift store. Anything. Any items. Can be clothes, housewares, toys, you name it. Being 2 of them got a voucher that's 100 items. In case you were wondering, it takes 4 people 2 hours and 45 minutes to fill 5 shopping carts full to the brim of 100 items. In the haul I ended up with a few articles of clothes, a nice jacket and some yummy smelling candles. My hosts used the rest on mostly high ticket items they can flip on online yard sale sites. As we drove home packed in an suv piled floor to ceiling in 'stuff' I was told they do this 'all the time'. This is where they obtain items for gift giving, selling, whatever.

Day 3 of my trip started out with a lot of excitement in the air. I had no clue why, but everyone was buzzing around, making plans and seemed overly joyous. It was later in the morning I would learn the reason behind the elation. It was pain pill day. They all had a prescription for pain medicine (hydrocodone?) and each of them sells their meds for $5 a pill. This amounts to $450 a bottle. (That's $1800 a month total if you need help in math). The day was filled with buying, selling, pickups, drop offs and other related tasks associated with being a dope dealer. What a marvelous business venture to sell pills at a total profit when the inventory cost is on the taxpayers.

During our travels we stopped many times at the local convenience store to grab a 32oz ice cold soda from their fountain. The store is located next to the apartment complex and we'd go several times a day. Everyone in the house is hooked on soda so at 5 sodas each time, 3x a day, we averaged about 15 fountain soda's a day from that particular store. All paid for with FOOD STAMPS. Yes, you can buy fountains sodas with the EBT card.

When the gas tank in the car was empty that proved to be a no problem situation also. My friend opened her wallet and simply whipped out a gas card. They each receive a $50 gas card per month from a local organization, so that's $200 a month in free gas.
As I type this I need to take a momentary break from the story (I'm beginning to puke). It's here I'll insert the dynamics of this specific household I was unfortunate enough to spend some time with.
Household composition: 4 able bodied adults and one 'child' aged 19
Over the table Income: 2 social security checks totaling 1400/mo
Rent: 289 including utilities (no set heat or ac/limits)
Healthcare: All members of household on full Medicaid
All at least 3rd generation welfare, none has ever worked, or looked for work.

As my story continues and the week went on, I was introduced to other family members and friends who also live off the system. My anger had turned to intrigue by midweek so I began to delve headfirst into educating myself of the inner workings of such a system. One woman I met lived in a very nice well to do home with her husband, a nice looking fella with an impressionable education and lucrative job. They had 3 children and from the look of their brand named clothing, and high class appearance, one would never know they were secretly cheating the system. It's simple, she explained. As far as the welfare office is concerned they're separated and not together so she and the children get full welfare benefits coming into the household in addition to her husbands upper class paycheck. If she claims she's homeless she gets even more.

Further up I promised to divulge my newfound information on how to get an enormous amount of food stamps, if your still reading you must be wondering how you too, can be a welfare queen. It's such a simple trick, I am told. They explained to me that when you get certified for the food stamp program you're approved for a full year. So the month or 2 before certification make a bunch of DR appointments and run up a large sum of medical bills. These UNPAID medical bills count dollar for dollar on your food stamp certification. So, if when you apply for food stamps you have a bunch of UNPAID medical bills for the past 30 days, you will get the max amount of food stamps. Then once approved, just submit the bills to Medicaid. Whoolaaa max food stamps and a years worth of pizza and bliss.

In between all this chaos I found out they spend much time church hopping and organization hopping for even more goodies. Free furniture, Free cash, Free whatever.
At the end of the day, this household lives FREE and every bill from rent to utilities to auto gas and clothes are provided by the tax paying citizens of the good ole united states and organizations which receive grants from the taxpayers and they end up with thousands, literally thousands a month in discretionary cash.

The week's experience changed the way I view charity. It made me angry, less compassionate, and even a little jealous. But mostly, it made me sad. Sad that we are breeding generations of these people who have no idea how a life with pride, and morals, and hard work would benefit them.. This is the life they were taught by their parents and it's the life that is teaching their children. It makes me even sadder to think of the people I know personally here in my own life who are struggling, the elderly who have no food, the truly needy who receive piddly because the welfare system is so tapped out with users and abusers.

I've been forever changed by my week as a welfare queen

Found this on CL, only quoted the whole thing because they tend to delete things from that site pretty fast. Not sure if it's true or what. http://charlotte.cra...3456090796.html

Discuss.

#2 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,615 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Well. I have no idea where that story takes place but you can't do almost any of that here in NC. The first thing they do in buying pizza with an ebt is impossible here. You cannot purchase precooked food with nc ebt funds. The rest of the story is equally impossible in NC for the most part.

#3 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Probably not even remotely true, but there is some truth in there.

I think that I have had 6 total days over the last 9 years that I didn't have a job. Total.

And that was Jan. 1 of this year through Jan 6 of this year. I had left my previous job and was deciding which one I should take of the two that were offered.

People that will not work and are able are the worst of the worst.

#4 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Double Post.

#5 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

Well. I have no idea where that story takes place but you can't do almost any of that here in NC. The first thing they do in buying pizza with an ebt is impossible here. You cannot purchase precooked food with nc ebt funds. The rest of the story is equally impossible in NC for the most part.

Don't think that is accurate anymore. I see things in deli's at grocery stores that say you can....but I could be wrong.

That said, the post didn't really say is was cooked. Could be a papa murphys type place.

#6 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,133 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

It was posted in the Charlotte NC CL section but as the story says she's visiting her friend "up north". Not sure what state or its true at all

#7 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,615 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

My sister in law gets food stamps and she can't. For instance she can't purchase those 4 dollar hot baked whole chickens they have at walmart and other grocery stores. Or anything from the hot deli.

#8 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

My sister in law gets food stamps and she can't. For instance she can't purchase those 4 dollar hot baked whole chickens they have at walmart and other grocery stores. Or anything from the hot deli.

Maybe it's the prepared stuff that has to be heated up that I saw it on.

I can't remember, but whatever it was made me look twice and wonder why they would allow you to purchase that when there is quite a bit of profit in it for the store.

#9 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,775 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

it strikes me as untrue (or grossly exaggerated) but if it is it's a case example for why welfare reform is a necessity.

#10 boostownsme

boostownsme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

You most definitely can. In fact I see tons of places advertising as such. It's usually your hunts brothers or other type chain joints.

#11 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,615 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

You most definitely can. In fact I see tons of places advertising as such. It's usually your hunts brothers or other type chain joints.

Not if it's cooked. Like I said, you can't buy prepared food, ie cooked food. With an NC foodstamp card.

#12 boostownsme

boostownsme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Dude I can take you right now to a place, throw a EBT card out and eat a pizza. Only stipulations they have is that it has to be eaten on premises and it has to be a whole pizza ordered. I have no reason to make this up.

#13 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,615 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

The Food Stamp program limits the types of prepared foods that can be purchased with food stamps. Food stamps do not cover any prepared food that will be consumed on premises of the business that made it. Food stamps also cannot be used to purchase hot foods. They can, however, be used to pay for cold, take-out foods such as salads and cold sandwiches.

Read more: What Foods Are Covered by North Carolina Food Stamps? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz2EVTxG9co

Food stamps are a federal benefit for people in need. Although food stamps are distributed through social service agencies in each state, the federal government funds the program and sets the rules about the types of food that can be purchased. North Carolina's food stamp program has the same rules about foods that are covered under the program as the other 49 states.

So like I said, unless these pizza's were uncooked , they might have fallen into a grey area. But either way, buying HOT prepared food is IMPOSSIBLE in the entire country with foodstamps.

#14 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,615 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Dude I can take you right now to a place, throw a EBT card out and eat a pizza. Only stipulations they have is that it has to be eaten on premises and it has to be a whole pizza ordered. I have no reason to make this up.

It can't be cooked. IF they are selling it to you cooked, they are breaking the fuging law. I've had foodstamps before, I know people who currently have foodstamps. I'm not just making poo up either, you're just misinformed.

#15 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,770 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

After reading that I feel like their lives are very similar to those in the 1% who also rob this country millions of times greater than that lady minus the helicopters, hovercrafts, and crab bisque baths.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com