Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should Churches Pay Taxes?

77 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[img]http://transhumanity.net/images/uploads/thumbs/church-tax-exemption.jpg[/img]

Posted · Report post

Wait, so how long would that fund the government for ? I'm bad at math. Say it after me, " Spending problem, not revenue problem."

Posted · Report post

[quote name='boostownsme' timestamp='1355009706' post='2036560']
Wait, so how long would that fund the government for ? I'm bad at math. Say it after me, " Spending problem, not revenue problem."
[/quote]

Way to change the argument. Did anyone claim that it would fund the government? No? Didn't think so.

Posted · Report post

The church I attend in downtown charlotte is struggling financially and taxing would cripple/destroy them.

I do think there is a solution or some sort of middle ground. I have no clue though

Posted · Report post

Why else would someone be worried about what a church is or isn't paying in taxes unless they are looking for more revenue. Revenue funds the government. Therefore it's totally on point. Or is it the church not paying their fair share? Churches do so much for the community, if you take that money outreach programs suffer.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1355010085' post='2036569']
The church I attend in downtown charlotte is struggling financially and taxing would cripple/destroy them.

I do think there is a solution or some sort of middle ground. I have no clue though
[/quote]

So are plenty of families.

Posted · Report post

Last time I looked I was not a non profit

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1355010085' post='2036569']

[/quote]
well that's easy; tax ones above a certain financial threshold. same as with peoples.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Panthro' timestamp='1355010894' post='2036590']
Last time I looked I was not a non profit
[/quote]

So are many charities. Yet they have to report their income, structure etc.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='boostownsme' timestamp='1355009706' post='2036560']
[/quote]

that's such a stupid fuging fallacious strawman and it blows my mind that a human being advanced past renaissance society would even make it

Posted · Report post

as for the argument at hand, i really don't know. i think tax exemption is fair in principle because the majority of churches pour a significant portion of their income into outreach programs domestically and internationally. where the line becomes blurry is when you get certain churches inviting politicians to campaign stumping opportunities at the pulpit (when i was a brainwashed republican highschooler the pastor of my fundamentalist southern baptist church invited noted asshole vernon robinson take twenty minutes before the sermon to campaign for himself, just as an example.)

Posted · Report post

No. No one should