Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should Churches Pay Taxes?

77 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

No. No one should

do you like roads?

Posted · Report post

yes, churches should pay taxes...

My mom's church only has like 50 regular attendees, and they somehow bank around $1,500 a week...

Posted · Report post

yes, churches should pay taxes...

My mom's church only has like 50 regular attendees, and they somehow bank around $1,500 a week...

that's $30 per week per member. most churches ask for 10% as a biblical mandate so that's really not all that outlandish

Posted · Report post

No, unless they start taxing all charities.

Posted · Report post

churches aren't automatically charities.

Posted · Report post

not even charities are automatically charities :/

thats fuged up

Posted · Report post

Only in that the IRS rules for churches are slightly different than they are for other types of charities. But all churches are automatically treated as charities for tax purposes as long as they follow the IRS guidelines for religious organizations.

Posted · Report post

as for the argument at hand, i really don't know. i think tax exemption is fair in principle because the majority of churches pour a significant portion of their income into outreach programs domestically and internationally. where the line becomes blurry is when you get certain churches inviting politicians to campaign stumping opportunities at the pulpit (when i was a brainwashed republican highschooler the pastor of my fundamentalist southern baptist church invited noted asshole vernon robinson take twenty minutes before the sermon to campaign for himself, just as an example.)

I was also quite involved with a similar church some years ago, was on the financial stewardship comittee, (which was a complete farce, and one of the things that led to me leaving the church altogether) and I don't remember the actual figures, but very little of the approximately half million dollar budget actually went to anything but church operating expenses and pastor/staff salaries...

I suspect that this is fairly typical of most churches. They are charities alright... for pastors.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

in fact, some of them are hate groups

Posted · Report post

I was also quite involved with a similar church some years ago, was on the financial stewardship comittee, (which was a complete farce, and one of the things that led to me leaving the church altogether) and I don't remember the actual figures, but very little of the approximately half million dollar budget actually went to anything but church operating expenses and pastor/staff salaries...

I suspect that this is fairly typical of most churches. They are charities alright... for pastors.

Its fairly typical of many non religous charities as well. Leaders of organizations such as Redcross and United Way make several hundred thousand a year. That alone doesn't mean they shouldn't be designated as charities, or lose their tax exempt status.

Posted · Report post

how much were the pastors making?

i'm ok with pastors getting salaries, as running a church is a shitload of work, but i've known guys who never really worked jobs and just went straight into a ministry, worked part-time at it and wouldn't take an outside job, and got paid a pretty decent salary for it.

Posted · Report post

if you do this, try to make it where if a church is to not get taxed that much, make sure its due to putting money or time or talent into groups or for those that need it.

i basically say this with anything related to taxes. raising taxes is easy and more often than not,the Democrats god. can you show the people you will spend it wisely?

i mean they can raise taxes by 40% next year and it doesn't mean all of our financial issues go away or suddenly public schools start cranking out Rhodes scholars.