• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

No, unless they start taxing all charities.

#17 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

churches aren't automatically charities.

#18 SZ James

SZ James

1 888 CAM PAIN

• HUDDLER
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

not even charities are automatically charities :/

thats fuged up

#19 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Only in that the IRS rules for churches are slightly different than they are for other types of charities. But all churches are automatically treated as charities for tax purposes as long as they follow the IRS guidelines for religious organizations.

#20 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,608 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

as for the argument at hand, i really don't know. i think tax exemption is fair in principle because the majority of churches pour a significant portion of their income into outreach programs domestically and internationally. where the line becomes blurry is when you get certain churches inviting politicians to campaign stumping opportunities at the pulpit (when i was a brainwashed republican highschooler the pastor of my fundamentalist southern baptist church invited noted asshole vernon robinson take twenty minutes before the sermon to campaign for himself, just as an example.)

I was also quite involved with a similar church some years ago, was on the financial stewardship comittee, (which was a complete farce, and one of the things that led to me leaving the church altogether) and I don't remember the actual figures, but very little of the approximately half million dollar budget actually went to anything but church operating expenses and pastor/staff salaries...

I suspect that this is fairly typical of most churches. They are charities alright... for pastors.

#21 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

in fact, some of them are hate groups

#22 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

I was also quite involved with a similar church some years ago, was on the financial stewardship comittee, (which was a complete farce, and one of the things that led to me leaving the church altogether) and I don't remember the actual figures, but very little of the approximately half million dollar budget actually went to anything but church operating expenses and pastor/staff salaries...

I suspect that this is fairly typical of most churches. They are charities alright... for pastors.

Its fairly typical of many non religous charities as well. Leaders of organizations such as Redcross and United Way make several hundred thousand a year. That alone doesn't mean they shouldn't be designated as charities, or lose their tax exempt status.

#23 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,769 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

how much were the pastors making?

i'm ok with pastors getting salaries, as running a church is a shitload of work, but i've known guys who never really worked jobs and just went straight into a ministry, worked part-time at it and wouldn't take an outside job, and got paid a pretty decent salary for it.

#24 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,283 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

if you do this, try to make it where if a church is to not get taxed that much, make sure its due to putting money or time or talent into groups or for those that need it.

i basically say this with anything related to taxes. raising taxes is easy and more often than not,the Democrats god. can you show the people you will spend it wisely?
i mean they can raise taxes by 40% next year and it doesn't mean all of our financial issues go away or suddenly public schools start cranking out Rhodes scholars.

#25 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

In my opinion, the Fair Tax would fix a lot of this. Discriminating who pays taxes and who doesn't is an abomination to liberty.

The way that "fair share" is thrown around is nothing but that... it is simply looking to redraw the lines to job the system in favor of personal bias at everyone else's expense.

#26 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

the "fair" tax wouldn't fix anything. replacing basically all taxes with a sales tax would only exacerbate the problems america faces. i'd be more receptive if income equality was actually a thing in america but sadly it's not, and a "sales tax only" model would crush the middle class and the subsequent decrease in revenues would crush the poor

#27 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

If a church is charitable then give them a break. If a corporation is charitable then give them a break.

Exempt actions, not entities. Simple as that.

#28 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

the "fair" tax wouldn't fix anything. replacing basically all taxes with a sales tax would only exacerbate the problems america faces. i'd be more receptive if income equality was actually a thing in america but sadly it's not, and a "sales tax only" model would crush the middle class and the subsequent decrease in revenues would crush the poor

What qualifies as income equality for you? As for the rest of your statement, you clearly know next to nothing a out HR25

#29 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,008 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

What qualifies as income equality for you?

true social mobility; equal pay and opportunity for all. it doesn't exist here in america.

As for the rest of your statement, you clearly know next to nothing a out HR25

oh, please tell me more about your dumb sales tax that was dreamed up and advocated by the rich, those who stand to gain an absolute poo-ton through its implementation at the expense of the poor and middle class.

#30 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,068 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

true social mobility; equal pay and opportunity for all. it doesn't exist here in america.

oh, please tell me more about your dumb sales tax that was dreamed up and advocated by the rich, those who stand to gain an absolute poo-ton through its implementation at the expense of the poor and middle class.

You sound bitter and jealous that your bad decision making in life has left you with a crappy job and no money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.