Photo
- - - - -

Should Churches Pay Taxes?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#25 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

In my opinion, the Fair Tax would fix a lot of this. Discriminating who pays taxes and who doesn't is an abomination to liberty.

The way that "fair share" is thrown around is nothing but that... it is simply looking to redraw the lines to job the system in favor of personal bias at everyone else's expense.

#26 google larry davis

google larry davis

fleet-footed poster

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

the "fair" tax wouldn't fix anything. replacing basically all taxes with a sales tax would only exacerbate the problems america faces. i'd be more receptive if income equality was actually a thing in america but sadly it's not, and a "sales tax only" model would crush the middle class and the subsequent decrease in revenues would crush the poor

#27 natty

natty

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

If a church is charitable then give them a break. If a corporation is charitable then give them a break.

Exempt actions, not entities. Simple as that.

#28 twylyght

twylyght

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

the "fair" tax wouldn't fix anything. replacing basically all taxes with a sales tax would only exacerbate the problems america faces. i'd be more receptive if income equality was actually a thing in america but sadly it's not, and a "sales tax only" model would crush the middle class and the subsequent decrease in revenues would crush the poor

What qualifies as income equality for you? As for the rest of your statement, you clearly know next to nothing a out HR25

#29 google larry davis

google larry davis

fleet-footed poster

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

What qualifies as income equality for you?

true social mobility; equal pay and opportunity for all. it doesn't exist here in america.

As for the rest of your statement, you clearly know next to nothing a out HR25

oh, please tell me more about your dumb sales tax that was dreamed up and advocated by the rich, those who stand to gain an absolute poo-ton through its implementation at the expense of the poor and middle class.

#30 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

true social mobility; equal pay and opportunity for all. it doesn't exist here in america.

oh, please tell me more about your dumb sales tax that was dreamed up and advocated by the rich, those who stand to gain an absolute poo-ton through its implementation at the expense of the poor and middle class.

You sound bitter and jealous that your bad decision making in life has left you with a crappy job and no money.

#31 twylyght

twylyght

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

Educate yourself for once in your life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairTax

It involves actual reading, but we all have to start somewhere. If you choose to remain ignorant, it is of your own doing. Good luck with that whole critical thinking thing

#32 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

how much were the pastors making?

i'm ok with pastors getting salaries, as running a church is a shitload of work, but i've known guys who never really worked jobs and just went straight into a ministry, worked part-time at it and wouldn't take an outside job, and got paid a pretty decent salary for it.

The head pastor at the time was at around $120K and the others probably totalled around $200K between the four of them.. This was about 12 years ago...

I wouldn't consider these guys moochers or lazy, but to the point of this thread, the church did very little in the way of what I would consider charity work. Not sure how I feel about the tax exemption, never really put jch thought into it... I will.

#33 toldozer

toldozer

finally someone fatter than Alice

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

So the money that was given was taxed prior to being given to the church, and then you are saying its mostly given as salary, which if im not mistaken is taxed again. Then if the pastor spends the money its taxed again. How about we cut the unnecessary spending instead of giving the entirity of our hard earned money to a government that will just waste it?

#34 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Since at least half the posters in the huddle are atheists, it is not hard to guess where they would land. No church in their opinion could spend money as wisely as the US government. There in lies the difference that drives the thread.

Rev Wright or whomever and their church can set up their deal however they want as long as they obey the rules set forth by the gov. Separation of church and state kinda goes away when money is needed by Uncle Sam.

If, the gov starts taking money, does that mean the prayer in school debate comes back? 10 commandments and nativity scenes okay. After all, the church would be a taxpayer at that point.

#35 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Those of you for this aren't looking at how this affects employees of the church. Contrary to popular belief, most churches in this economy barely have enough money to pay all their employees, much less add a tax along with it.

"but but but Bill Maher said all the pastors should have their Vipers repo'd!!"

#36 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Why do you guys think people are proposing to tax all churches at some astronomical rate to shut them down? Do we do that to people? Do the poor pay the same tax rate as the rich? No, so why would poor churches pay the same rate as megachurches?