• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Statistical analysis doesn't work in football.

#17 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

Not worried about it too.
But he hasn't been the best coverage guy.

Experts and scouts always talk about speed. Manti was brought up recently about his lack of speed but I think he's a much better cover guy than Luke. It's not always about time speed. It's more field speed to me.

Manti will go early top5 to Raiders.

#18 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Manti wasnt a really great cover guy until this year, he was more of a downhill thumper the last few years, good against the run and blitzing.

#19 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Statistical analysis doesn't work in football.

disagree. There's plenty of room for it, but it's still getting there - there are just so many more variables.

As for the discussion on aggressive run defense - the reason behind that is to force more 2nd, 3rd and long situations. As for what that means, Rivera could simply be talking about playing one-gap (therefore attacking instead of flowing) or some run-based blitzes (and that awful double A-gap blitz that just gets overused).

Either way, LK does get sucked in on playaction and he's still shallow on his drops. He should get there but he's not where he could be.

#20 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:38 PM

disagree. There's plenty of room for it, but it's still getting there - there are just so many more variables.

As for the discussion on aggressive run defense - the reason behind that is to force more 2nd, 3rd and long situations. As for what that means, Rivera could simply be talking about playing one-gap (therefore attacking instead of flowing) or some run-based blitzes (and that awful double A-gap blitz that just gets overused).

Either way, LK does get sucked in on playaction and he's still shallow on his drops. He should get there but he's not where he could be.

this is what RR has been talking about all season......

players knowing their assignments............. hitting their run fits and landmarks.

we're just not there yet as a unit.

#21 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

I kind of agree. I really thought he was going to be much better in coverage than he is. However he is only a rookie, I know he's a hard worker and he has all the skills to become great in coverage. I'm really not worried about him.

#22 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

They are making a lot out of this when their own grading system doesn't back it up.

Since moving to the middle he has 3 positively graded games, 3 negative games and 2 marginal games around 0. A bit of sensationalist reporting there I would suggest.

My untrained eye sees him being very good when in man coverage but can be exploited in zone. I also struggle to see how all of moeki catches being his responsibility as a lot of those routes were very deep.

#23 broseidon

broseidon

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationYour daughters dorm room

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

SF. Minnesota. Seattle. To name a few

Point is we don't play those teams, we live in a pass happy league so... Play coverage Rivera!!!

Since I said that watch Atlanta run the ball down our throats... Again

#24 rainwater

rainwater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

My untrained eye sees him being very good when in man coverage but can be exploited in zone. I also struggle to see how all of moeki catches being his responsibility as a lot of those routes were very deep.

I'm not sure what you are watching then. The last few games he is constantly being picked on whether zone or man. And he is completely selling out for the run which is why he is being killed in play action. I do wonder if he is selling out for the run to help make up for his lack of speed.

#25 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm not sure what you are watching then. The last few games he is constantly being picked on whether zone or man. And he is completely selling out for the run which is why he is being killed in play action. I do wonder if he is selling out for the run to help make up for his lack of speed.

I try and not get caught up on looking at just a small sample of games. Over the course of this season he has made some great man coverage plays and yes he has got caught out in zone coverage several times as well. When he plays zone he always seems to know where the first down marker is and so is great at keeping receivers from getting a first down, but as soon as they run routes behind his zone he is either not deep enough or has last track of where they are.

His last three games have been his worst in coverage as a MLB, but we can't discount the previous 5.

I see absolutely no issue with his game speed, it's been very rare to see him get beat when he can pick his own angle to the runner.

#26 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

I try and not get caught up on looking at just a small sample of games. Over the course of this season he has made some great man coverage plays and yes he has got caught out in zone coverage several times as well. When he plays zone he always seems to know where the first down marker is and so is great at keeping receivers from getting a first down, but as soon as they run routes behind his zone he is either not deep enough or has last track of where they are.

His last three games have been his worst in coverage as a MLB, but we can't discount the previous 5.

I see absolutely no issue with his game speed, it's been very rare to see him get beat when he can pick his own angle to the runner.

We've been torched by the run the last few games. You get killed by the run, you get killed by playaction. Its scarry how you lose your NT and the D seems to fall off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com