Will Beason be a Panther next year?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#46 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

I think that Beason will remain a Panther if he's willing to restructure his contract and move positions.

And if he can get paid elsewhere and be the MLB.....I would think he would prefer to leave.

<insert random reply....but but but Beason loves us and will give us a discount and play a position he doesn't love>

#47 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,872 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

Look at this and answer the question yourself:

7/29/2011: Signed a six-year, $51.338 million contract. The deal contains $25 million guaranteed, including a $20 million signing bonus.
2012: $1.25 million
2013: $5.25 million
2014: $6.5 million
2015: $7.5 million
2016: $8.75 million
2017: Free Agent

Let's just put it this way- release Beason and it becomes a cap hit unlike much of the league has never seen before. The cap hit would make Sean Gilbert's look minimal.

Yeah no way he wont be on the roster.
To release him you'd have to instantly eat the remaining pro rated portion of that massive signing bonus. Probably about 12 million bucks.
He'll have to play somewhere other than MLB because we have to ride out the Hurney magic on this one.
Let's just hope Beason can return to full health and contribute.

This contract and Dwill and Stewart's contract are just the symptoms of the Hurney disease.
Far over valuing those two positions both in the draft and at contract time.

#48 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,648 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

If we release him this off-season his cap hit would be 12.75 million. If we keep him his cap hit will be 9.5 million in 2013 and go up to almost 11 million in 2014, and 12 million in 2015. If we june 1st the cut, it costs us around 6.4 million in dead cap space for 2 years.

The problem with restructuring is that it converts salary into a signing bonus which increases the cap in future years. So we could lower his salary from next year's 5.25 million to something like 2.5 million by converting 3 million of the salary to a signing bonus which increases the signing bonus in future years from 4 million to 5 million.

His cap next year goes from 9.5 million to 6.5 million but it bumps up his future yearly signing bonus cap from 4 to 5 million without considering the salary.

http://www.spotrac.c...ers/jon-beason/

#49 PantherKyle

PantherKyle

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

I really hope so. I feel like he is a Panther at heart ala TD. He will be a beast outside.

#50 DoubleTrouble34

DoubleTrouble34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

I think we should to to Beason what we did to Davis this year. Just gradually ease him back into the rotation

#51 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

It's not going to be an easy re-structure considering that $12+ million we have to deal with. We could give him some up front money, but he'd have to settle for salaries near the vet min to make it work.

It would hurt short term but it might be better to just bite the bullet and cut him. He won't be particularly happy about playing outside or about his value to the organization ($) and may want a fresh start elsewhere.

#52 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,872 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

If we release him this off-season his cap hit would be 12.75 million. If we keep him his cap hit will be 9.5 million in 2013 and go up to almost 11 million in 2014, and 12 million in 2015. If we june 1st the cut, it costs us around 6.4 million in dead cap space for 2 years.

The problem with restructuring is that it converts salary into a signing bonus which increases the cap in future years. So we could lower his salary from next year's 5.25 million to something like 2.5 million by converting 3 million of the salary to a signing bonus which increases the signing bonus in future years from 4 million to 5 million.

His cap next year goes from 9.5 million to 6.5 million but it bumps up his future yearly signing bonus cap from 4 to 5 million without considering the salary.

It's absolutley staggering at how bad Marty Hurney was at his job.
When June 1 releasing our once prized LB might be the best move when you way the cost/benefit result..

It's no wonder DWill and Stew make it very public thier desire to stay in Carolina. They want to play out their contracts as Hurney gave it to them.

#53 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,304 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

I'd love to see a Beason - Kuechly - Davis starting lineup

#54 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,648 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

When June 1 releasing our once prized LB might be the best move when you way the cost/benefit result..

It's no wonder DWill and Stew make it very public thier desire to stay in Carolina. They want to play out their contracts as Hurney gave it to them.

The biggest problem is that he counted on the 2014 cap rising due to TV money which is actually gone to be flat. Everything was predicated on having tons of money to play with. It was an oversight which cost him his job.

#55 KRAKEN

KRAKEN

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationpanthernation

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

beason is outta here.and you have lost your mind if our starting linebacker corp,has 1 player with 3 acl's and another that has missed 2 years with various injuries.NO way we take that chance

#56 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,654 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

I'd love to see a Beason - Kuechly - Davis starting lineup

Going into next year with that was our hopeful lineup.....

Means we are putting a lot of faith on a guy with 3 ACL repairs continuing to stay healthy AND a guy who has spent the last two years on IR to also be healthy....

Anderson is solid but overpriced.

New GM is going to have to rethink who plays with Luke IMO

#57 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Lol that's like when we payed Jake 12.5 mil to play for the Browns.

Please do not remind me. Beason will have to be brought in slowly.

#58 Thorrez

Thorrez

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Aside from the $20M signing bonus already in Beasons bank, only $5M is guaranteed. Correct me if I am wrong here, but does that not mean that we can cut him without having to pay him more than $4M? (Assuming he has $1M guaranteed each year from now on).

So I do not think we have to change $5.25M into $2.25 salary and $3M bonus to match $5.25M. It should be enough to keep the $1M salary and add $2M signing bonus on top for each year left on the contract.

The will mean a total payout of $33M during the 6 years. Not $50 that was the top figure but still $8 more than was guaranteed (and as those extra $8 is payed as a signing bonus he gets even if he is hurt and cannot play).

Should be doable, unless I have missed something how it works?

#59 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,609 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

I doubt Marty did this .Those payouts for Beason ,Johnson,and dwill have JR written all over them

#60 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,043 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

I hope so, the guy came into the league as a WLB and after he got settled in he played well when he was asked to do that a few years back.

Beason is a team guy and he genuinely loves the Panthers organization, I doubt he'll have any problem with moving to WLB and his experience and leadership will be incredibly valuable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com