#31 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

less important than formal training is connections and work ethic. the long and short of it is that if he wants to work in film/tv, after school he needs to be in a place where film/tv exists as a full-time industry so he can make connections.

True... he's talked to a few people here in town in the business. He's also done some extra work here and tried to talk to some of the people on the sets... we're actually in a pretty decent location for that by default.

#32 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Have to go with one of my all time favs.... greatest dark humor/horror film imo. The way the scenes are set up and executed with emphasis on acting and gestures, make this one a great one.

#33 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Yes. He is considering the dub. Is it a good program?

-sigh-

Oh boy this question. What works for some doesn't always work for others.

On the plus side, we have a good amount of females, which I'm sure you know. There's the Cucalores Film Festival which he can participate in (google it). Interships(the ones out in hollywood and new york are super competitive, there's almost zero chance he will get this).

Also noteworthy, I think UNCW recently made it's first feature film that was made mostly by students and alumni.

http://dontknowyetfilm.com/main/

I saw a rough cut and it was pretty good. By the time your son graduates it will probably improve so I would consider it and it beats dishing out the money for NYU or USC or whatever. Those are really great schools but there's a chance he might decide he doesn't like it down the road(especially since he's only 16).

Some people also learn on their own and many have been successful without ever going to film school fwiw.

#34 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

True... he's talked to a few people here in town in the business. He's also done some extra work here and tried to talk to some of the people on the sets... we're actually in a pretty decent location for that by default.

definitely... if he can get work on set as an intern or PA now, or while he's in school, that'll go further than a "film" school will imo.

#35 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

as mmmbeans said, it's who you know.

one of the main arguments for filmschool is that you meet people with similar interests and that will help you out(but it's fuging cutthroat over here, don't trust anyone). ScreenGems also sometimes takes interns depending on a lot of factors.

#36 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the info guys... I will pass it on to him. He's still deciding on what to do, but he really loves this stuff.

#37 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info guys... I will pass it on to him. He's still deciding on what to do, but he really loves this stuff.

He will probably visit here for college day when it's warm outside and decide to come here like I did.

#38 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

He will probably visit here for college day when it's warm outside and decide to come here like I did.

Well since we live here, he pretty much knows what it's like... and he already sees the chicks around, so he knows about that too.

#39 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, the actual film dept itself is actually pretty good as well in my experience. I thought it would be full of nerds (and it is) but not as bad as you'd think.

#40 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, the actual film dept itself is actually pretty good as well in my experience. I thought it would be full of nerds (and it is) but not as bad as you'd think.

Are you at UNCW now?

#41 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,769 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I am

#42 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

I am

It's a good school... at least I enjoyed it many moons ago...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com