Photo
- - - - -

Why does "conservative humor" fail so badly?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#106 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Louis CK is the only white guy in America that can spout of the N word countless times and not catch crap.

#107 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,737 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

He's got comedian street cred...irl

#108 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

I'll admit the only thing I knew of Louis CK was what you guys have shown on here. Having watched the last one you just showed, he doesn't exactly cross the PC line.

A boneheaded hardline stance based on extremely limited data/exposure.

That's not the Meat I know.

#109 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Reading comprehension problems again, I see.

Conservatives laugh at different things than liberals. The things that conservatives laugh about aren't in the mainstream because of PC.

Again, the only argument you're offering is "We want to make fun of black people but you won't let us."

Yet the guy who wrote Pootie Tang apparently doesn't cross PC lines.

That begs the question, exactly what do you want conservatives to be able to say? Do you want comedians to just stand on stage and sieg heil or something?

#110 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

That begs the question, exactly what do you want conservatives to be able to say? Do you want comedians to just stand on stage and sieg heil or something?

I'm assuming he wants his choice of comedians to make fun of other groups but never at his expense.

har har har hilarious.

#111 FurdTurgason

FurdTurgason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Again, the only argument you're offering is "We want to make fun of black people but you won't let us."

Yet the guy who wrote Pootie Tang apparently doesn't cross PC lines.

Yeah. That's what I want. Nazi Germany. Why do you people always go there?

I want shows like All in the Family, shows that weren't PC but still made a point, if the PC crowd would shut up long enough to listen. Archie said words like jungle bunny, ****, *****....but in the end he was the buffoon proven wrong. That's how you educate people. Instead of trying to destroy the words, put them out there. Humor can be a great tool to bring people together.

I have worked in environments where all of us...white, black, gay, straight....made fun of each other and at the end of the day we'd all go out together and get drunk. We weren't PC. We were the opposite. We didn't use hateful words like ****** or cracker or faggot, but we joked about our backgrounds constantly. Actually we DID use those words...when talking about ourselves. And at the end of the day if someone needed a ride home, he knew the white guy, the black guy, or the gay guy would have his back. We trusted each other.

Now we live in a world where a white tennis player stuffs her bra and shorts, and she gets accused of racism because she's poking fun at Serena Williams. Come on, man. Where does it end?

#112 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,536 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

I want shows like All in the Family, shows that weren't PC but still made a point,

You mean like:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1492966/

#113 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

South Park.

#114 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,737 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Exhibit A

Posted Image

#115 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

wow. that is one lonely thread :lol:

#116 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

comedy, and specifically satire situates around lampooning the status quo... conservatism largely aspires to the status quo (whatever that may be subjectively.) I also think that strong conservatives put politics before comedy... anger and comedy don't mix... rush wouldn't be popular if he told jokes, o'reilly wouldn't be popular if he told jokes... Liberal comedians make their points through jokes... but the comedy comes first... Miller used to be funny, until his politics started coming before his humor... then he stopped being funny. My uncles are some of the most conservative motherf*ckers you'll meet, and they are freaking hilarious... but if you get them on politics... no f*cking jokes. serious business, because THIS COUNTRY IS GOING TO HELL.

if you think like that, nothing is funny.

Mike Nelson, who was head writer for Mystery Science Theater 3000, pretty much said this (he's a staunch republican). He distinguished conservatives and liberals as people who support "serious America" vs people who support "silly America."

#117 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Mike Nelson, who was head writer for Mystery Science Theater 3000, pretty much said this (he's a staunch republican). He distinguished conservatives and liberals as people who support "serious America" vs people who support "silly America."

i can get behind a sillier america.

#118 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,947 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

anger and Comedy dont mix?? if its Jeff Foxworthy or Jeff Dunham I guess...

#119 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Some kinds of anger make for great humor. Sam Kinison, for example. But it's always anger from being defeated by life, not anger at the poor or defeated.

Upward anger, not downward anger.

#120 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Yeah a lot of the greatest comedians battled depression and drug problems, all the while turning their pain into laughter for others.

Outside of political satire I dont think comedy is particularly liberal or conservative, even if its subject may seem political. Look at a lot of the stuff by the South Park guys- Team America: World Police is a good example.

If we are talking political satire though, liberals are definitely better. Except that comedy is completely subjective, so who the fug cares. Unless you dont like any comedy, then fug you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com