Photo
- - - - -

There are 15 winning head coaches with jobs in this league (tenured)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,809 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

"tenured" meaning I'm excluding Bruce Arians because he hasn't accumulated an entire season's worth of experience as a HC.

Only two of those guys took longer than two years to deliver a winning season or playoff berth to a franchise. Gary Kubiak and Jeff Fisher during his run with Tennessee in the 90s. As far as the other 13 are concerned, regardless of what they inherited or what talent they had to work with to start off they've found immediate success with the team they've been coaching, and by immediate I mean within the first two years.

Two years are a reliable measure for seeing if a Head Coach is worth his salt. I'm not saying Ron isn't a good head coach, but Ron is probably not a good head coach.

#2 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,153 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

I've always said every coach deserves at least 3 seasons to get a team on track.

#3 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,809 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

I've always said every coach deserves at least 3 seasons to get a team on track.

the Bills gave Chan Gailey a third chance this year after two disappointing seasons

lol

#4 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,589 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Two years is plenty of time to learn how to hold on to a lead and simple clock management.

#5 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

did all of these HC's come in after a season like 2010?

#6 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,542 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

So lets see who some of those coaches who were not successful in their first 2 years as a pro coach yet did pretty good down the road.
Bill Belicheck for one. How about these guys, Dick Vermeil in St Louis, Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson in Dallas.

Who else???

#7 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,809 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

wow Tom Landry

you going to go back 50 years for your 4th example?

#8 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,542 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

wow Tom Landry

you going to go back 50 years for your 4th example?

Just picked some of the most successful coaches who all went to the playoffs in their first stint by year 4 and whose owner was paid off by not jumping ship too soon. Even Belicheck took Cleveland to the playoffs in year 4 for one of that franchises very rare playoff appearances. If they didn't bail on him maybe they would have gotten Brady instead of New England. Vermeil in St Louis for example were awful the first 2 years and then in year 3 win the super bowl. Same with Johnson except it was year 4 and 5 and he won 2 superbowls back to back.

I could have picked more recent guys but for some of you with limited knowledge of the history of the league, you would have little idea who I was talking about.

#9 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,542 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Mike Shanahan went 7-9 his first year for the Raiders and was fired after starting 1-3 in year 2. Good thing for Denver. Although in his first year he went

By the way, Shanahan went 6-10 and 5-11 his first 2 years in Washington. If they make the playoffs this year I guess it was good thing they didn't bail on him too soon. Of course 2 years tell it all, right??

#10 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,809 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

Shanahan "failed" in Oakland because Al Davis is psychotic and was firing assistants without his consent

and there's something to be said about past success that buys you a little bit more patience

#11 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Not to mention Mike Shanahan sucks

#12 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,589 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

Can the Rivera defenders make a legitimate case for keeping him in regards to how he has handled this team, record aside for a sec?

As in, besides having a bad record in his first two years as a head coach, in what way is his head coaching style similar to Belicheat and Jimmy Johnson?

#13 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,589 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

I mean it took six seasons for Kubiak to get the Texans to the playoffs so I guess we should follow that lead and give every coach six years no matter what, right?

#14 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Not to mention Mike Shanahan sucks

The redskins mortgaged their future for years to come on rg3 and what they thought might be immediate success- if he gets hurt or doesnt pan out shannahan will look like the fool he is

#15 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,542 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Shanahan "failed" in Oakland because Al Davis is psychotic and was firing assistants without his consent

and there's something to be said about past success that buys you a little bit more patience

You said 2 years was enough to show if a guy had head coaching ability. Should I continue my list of guys who took longer to win but ultimately won big in the league?? Or lets go down the list of successful proven head coaches who went somewhere new and didn't have a winning record in their first 2 years.

We can use Shanahan in Washington, Schottenheimer in San Diego off the top of my head.

Might have more to do with where they went instead of how good they were........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.