Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "Did You Know" Thread

60 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Post facts that you think most or many people probably didn't know that might interest them.

Example: There is no such dinosaur as a Brontosaurus. It was actually an Apatosaurus with another dinosaur's head placed on it because two paleontologists were in a bitter rivalry and one wanted to one-up the other. But to this day many people think of the long necked, long tailed four-legged dinosaur as a Brontosaurus. There is no such animal (or was).

Posted · Report post

Did you know Obama is the best president in the world.Fact

Some people still think Romney will be President.Fiction

Posted · Report post

[quote name='FurdTurgason' timestamp='1355196199' post='2041385']
Post facts that you think most or many people probably didn't know that might interest them.

Example: There is no such dinosaur as a Brontosaurus. It was actually an Apatosaurus with another dinosaur's head placed on it because two paleontologists were in a bitter rivalry and one wanted to one-up the other. But to this day many people think of the long necked, long tailed four-legged dinosaur as a Brontosaurus. There is no such animal (or was).
[/quote]

I never heard that story, I was always under the impression that it was just a popular misnomer as Brontosaurus is scientifically redundant.

Posted · Report post

So I looked it up, and apparently it was a larger version of the dinosaur but it has a separate scientific designation as "Apatosaurus Excelsus", were as the original is "Apatosaurus Ajax".

The dude who discovered it had named it Brontosaurus but the scientific community decided that it wasn't different enough to deserve it's own genus.

Posted · Report post

But Brontosaurs were cute. :(

So there were brontosaurs? I'm all confused. *off to google*

Posted · Report post

Marilyn Monroe had a higher IQ than Albert Einstein.

Posted · Report post

Kobe Bryant has more championships than Lebron James.

Posted · Report post

There are only eight planets in our solar system, and two of them actually have rings.

Posted · Report post

wait a minute...then how the hell did Fred Flinstone always order Brontasaurus Burgers?
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='FurdTurgason' timestamp='1355199217' post='2041501']
There are only eight planets in our solar system, and two of them actually have rings.
[/quote]
I think everybody already knew that.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Hawk' timestamp='1355199306' post='2041505']
wait a minute...then how the hell did Fred Flinstone always order Brontasaurus Burgers?
[/quote]

True story: I once wrote Fred Fintstone down as an answer on a test in high school, and the idiot next to me copied it. We both got in trouble. The teacher was trying not to laugh.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Nepal has a non rectangular flag