Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "Did You Know" Thread

60 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1355247081' post='2042086']
the iconic scene in raiders of the lost ark where indiana jones ends up facing a guy whipping around a sword, rolls his eyes, pulls out a pistol and shoots him?

there was originally supposed to be a whip vs. sword fight there, but the entire cast was wracked with cholera and harrison ford suddenly had to take a poo, rolled his eyes in disgust, shot the guy and ran off to the bathroom. spielberg liked it so much he kept it.
[/quote]

cholera? I'd heard he was just tired of shiatloads of takes of a very detailed fight choreography and did it for a laugh.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mmmbeans' timestamp='1355247792' post='2042099']

cholera? I'd heard he was just tired of shiatloads of takes of a very detailed fight choreography and did it for a laugh.
[/quote]

my understanding is pretty much the entire set was sick as balls when they were filming that scene. the heavyset arab guy with the beard actually poo his pants on set

Posted · Report post

Spielberg was almost removed from the set of Jaws a couple of times because it was taking so long and wasting so much money.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1355248012' post='2042108']
my understanding is pretty much the entire set was sick as balls when they were filming that scene. the heavyset arab guy with the beard actually poo his pants on set
[/quote]

apparently we're both wrong.

[quote][url=""]The scene where Indy shoots the sword wielding bad guy wasn't in the original script. Three months' shooting had resulted in Harrison Ford having a nasty case of dysentery, and the choreographed fight would have taken three and a half days to shoot. Harrison Ford really didn't want to stay on set that long, so suggested that it would be a good alternative if he just shot him. Who actually suggested the change isn't certain, but it wasn't a spur of the moment decision, contrary to some thoughts - it was a planned alternative. [/url][/quote]

though you're right about davies having cholera.

Posted · Report post

"Ring Around the Rosie" and the words "God Bless You" were rhymes and prayers for victims of the (bubonic) plague

Posted · Report post

[quote name='h0llywood' timestamp='1355249372' post='2042151']
"Ring Around the Rosie" and the words "God Bless You" were rhymes and prayers for victims of the (bubonic) plague
[/quote]

i don't think ring around the rosie actually was... i think that's an urban legend.

Posted · Report post

The 1918 flu pandemic wiped out up to 3% of the entire world's population. Some countries lost more than 15% of their people.

Almost 9 out of every 10 that died was from pneumonia associated with the virus, not the virus itself.

Posted · Report post

Fun fact: In NC it is illegal to throw an aluminum can or a plastic bottle in the regular trash.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='catfang' timestamp='1355250645' post='2042184']
Fun fact: In NC it is illegal to throw an aluminum can or a plastic bottle in the regular trash.
[/quote]

I'd get the death penalty then!

Posted · Report post

Only a ninja can kill a ninja.

Posted · Report post

It takes 8 minutes 17 seconds for light to travel from the Sun’s surface to the Earth

The Earth spins at 1,000 mph but it travels through space at an incredible 67,000 mph.

Astronauts cannot belch – there is no gravity to separate liquid from gas in their stomachs.

Without its lining of mucus your stomach would digest itself.

The call of the humpback whale is louder than Concorde and can be heard from 500 miles away.

There are more living organisms on the skin of each human than there are humans on the surface of the earth.

If every star in the Milky Way was a grain of salt they would fill an Olympic sized swimming pool.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='FurdTurgason' timestamp='1355243187' post='2041988']

Game over! How did Michael Biehn die in Aliens?
[/quote]

Technically, his character (Hicks) died in Alien 3 via a beam through the chest. And apologies for the thumbs down on your post - replying on my phone and apparently missed the quote button.