#46 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

I'm usually all against taking a dt early, but the kid is a beast. Would def take at 14.

#47 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,263 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Most of the mocks I have seen have Williams in the 2nd round.

#48 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

They haven't caught up with the times then. lol

This is more like his current draft ranking. It also should sky rocket more as it gets closer to draft time, I'd expect him to be the 2nd ranked DT, maybe 3rd and be a top 15 prospect before it's all said and done.

http://www.cbssports.../jesse-williams

#49 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,263 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

They haven't caught up with the times then. lol

This is more like his current draft ranking. It also should sky rocket more as it gets closer to draft time, I'd expect him to be the 2nd ranked DT, maybe 3rd and be a top 15 prospect before it's all said and done.

http://www.cbssports.../jesse-williams

I was not making an eval on the guy. Just what I had seen. But, that was a few weeks ago.

Lots of players will move up and down the board as the analysts review and eval them more.

Given a new GM, we can throw all draft tendencies out the window

#50 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:36 AM

I've watched everything I can find on this guy online. A few thoughts:

- Has a great motor. Is a big guy, but not out of shape. Conditioning won't be a problem.

- Is double-teamed on at least 75% of plays that I saw, more in some games, and still gets good push/penetration.

- Needs work as a pass rusher, but that's not what we'd be drafting him for anyway.

- When he gets blocked by just one guy he just about runs them all the way into the backfield.

- Played well against top SEC competition. In particular I noticed him lined up against Dallas Thomas quite a bit during the Tennessee/Alabama game and Williams definitely won that battle more often than not.

- Doesn't seem to wear down during the course of a game. Is remarkably consistent.

- Doesn't just occupy blockers (though he does that exceptionally well) he also splits double-teams and disrupts runs quite a bit. If he's singled-up, forget about it.

Overall, I watched about the same amount of stuff on Star Lotulelei back when it looked like we might have a shot at him and I can tell you that, IMO, there isn't nearly the gap the media and draft "experts" would have you believe. I've also watched a lot on Sheldon Richardson and some on Jonathan Hankins and Williams is far and away the #2 DT in this draft. Granted, Richardson is a completely different sort of player, so that's not a great comparison, but he absolutely destroys Hankins in terms of consistency.

If Star Lotulelei is worth the 3rd overall pick, going by that as the value scale, there's no reason Williams shouldn't be a top-10 projected pick. The good news for us is that there doesn't seem to be any obvious landing spots for him before we pick. Tennessee could stand an upgrade, but they have other needs as well, the Jets could conceivably take him, but that's a long-shot especially with Hankins still on the board.

I think the biggest threat to us in terms of someone getting Williams before us would be for a team like the Colts or Steelers to trade up to secure themselves a NT. And considering the price either team would have to pay and the fact that either Hankins or Williams are very likely to be there at the Steelers pick, the Colts seem like the most likely threat. And even then this year's DT class is pretty deep, so I doubt they'd go for that.

So it definitely looks like he'll be there for us if we want him. I can't imagine why we wouldn't given he should fill both the biggest need and BPA criteria, but it's impossible to predict with Gettleman taking over. All draft tendencies are out the window at this point.

#51 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,092 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

omg I want this guy. He is like a muscular brick wall that just drives through offensive linemen and one arm tackles running backs with ease. Dude is a beast

#52 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,403 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

#53 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Can't wait until everyone comes around on Phillip Thomas like they did with Jesse.

#54 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

I already have. Would not mind a Williams/Thomas combo in the 1st/2nd rounds at all. I'm just really hoping we luck out and can get him in the 4th. Every year it seems like 2nd round projected players drop into the 4th and 5th rounds while teams reach for need. I'm hoping Thomas is one of those players.

I'm really wishing we had that 3rd rounder back right about now, BTW :growl:

#55 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

My (semi realistic) dream draft...

1.) Jesse Williams
2.) Jonathan Cooper

The only reason I can see Coop falling is because Guards usually aren't drafted that high.... We would have a beast at DT and finally a starter at RG

#56 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,204 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

I'm really wishing we had that 3rd rounder back right about now, BTW :growl:

Eh, I'm satisfied with who we spent that 3rd on (Alexander).

#57 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

Eh, I'm satisfied with who we spent that 3rd on (Alexander).

It's the same thing as last year...

2012 - "UGH I wish we had a third..." (Greg Olsen)

2013 "UGH I wish we had a third...(Frank Alexander)

#58 Panthersguru14

Panthersguru14

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

He is already the 17th ranked player according to espns rankings

#59 aussiePanther

aussiePanther

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

So I "hear" he rocked his Pro Day at 'Bama

Sub 5.0 40 and 7.69 three-cone.
Doesn't seem to have participated in the bench press which is curious.

Still projected at late 1st early 2nd, but "may have gone up a notch or two".

As a fellow Aussie would LOVE to have the Monsta in Charlotte next to Dwan, but after that I'm just hoping he doesn;t go to a divisional rival - that would suck hard.

#60 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,359 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

Bwood, which team in the top ten to you project will take Williams?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.