Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josh Norman in the doghouse

83 posts in this topic

Posted

Just another reason Rivera needs to be gone. He is turning into a poor man John Fox.

Posted

LOL @ all the Norman haters coming out of the woodwork now that Rivera put him on the bench for no good reason other than Rivera being Rivera (See David Gettis). Anyone remember the article earlier in the year showing how he was ranking with or above first round corners in tackles and passes defensed? Now all of a sudden he sucks? LOL.

I seriously question some people's ability to evaluate talent or understand the game of football. He's giving too much cushion? Then coach him up and watch him take to it. If he refuses, bench him. But to bench him for that reason alone, that's doing nothing but destroying his confidence. Rivera is an idiot. Look at Armanti being active every week over Gettis and tell me Rivera has a reason for what he is doing. Look at what he did to Dangelo and how he treated him in the process and tell me he is a legitimate head coach in the NFL.

Norman should've been coached up and still starting. Rivera is an idiot.

Finally somebody who understands. I honestly believe that Rivera has no idea on what he is doing. Oh yeah, lets not forget about Armanti returning kicks. Now all of a sudden he want to give new guys a chance like Armond Smith. He should of gave Smith a chance a long time ago. Everybody on this forum know armanti sucks at returning kicks. Rivera is horrible.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm no saying he was a hall of famer, all I'm saying is he was performing on par with peers drafted higher.

@Chef, true, those stats are of much more importance, but as I said, he should've been coached up and only benched if he didn't take to it.

My problem is, Rivera has shown a tendency to bench players he doesn't have an affinity for and keep them on the bench for no rhyme or reason other than that, while he plays others who have no business being out there because he likes them.... All to the detriment of our team. If he didn't have the history he does with this, I would have no problem with it. But, he has shown a lack of skills in player and personality management and doesn't seem to do very much in terms of actual coaching either, so we should just take him at his word as to why Norman is being benched?

You can't say he was on par without those stats. If he had 6 passes defended on 60 targets and some other CB had 5 defended on 30 targets then Norman looks better ranking solely on passes defended but that other CB would be playing much better.

Posted

You can't say he was on par without those stats. If he had 6 passes defended on 60 targets and some other CB had 5 defended on 30 targets then Norman looks better ranking solely on passes defended but that other CB would be playing much better.

Could be, but I didn't see those stats.

That has nothing to do with Rivera's ineptness as a head coach, personnel manager, and talent evaluator.

If he had shown he knew what he was doing in previous cases then I'm behind it, but all other instances this has happened has shown he has no rhyme or reason for his decisions, and often it is the wrong one.

Posted

Could be, but I didn't see those stats.

That has nothing to do with Rivera's ineptness as a head coach, personnel manager, and talent evaluator.

If he had shown he knew what he was doing in previous cases then I'm behind it, but all other instances this has happened has shown he has no rhyme or reason for his decisions, and often it is the wrong one.

I agree about Rivera's coaching, I just disagree with using passes deflected and tackles to say Norman shouldn't have been benched.

Posted

Wait I'm confused...

Our corners are Captain and Thomas? Whose the nickle?

And why did we move Godfrey to free safety?

Posted

I agree about Rivera's coaching, I just disagree with using passes deflected and tackles to say Norman shouldn't have been benched.

Yeah, I was just giving those as an example that he was doing some things right. I know those aren't the most important stats for a corner, so it was a bit of a fallacy, and I basically said as much when that article was posted.

But, I still go back to Rivera's history. The biggest issue I've had with him is the apparent lack of coaching and a complete disconnect with players on gamedays, especially players on the defensive side of the ball. I can only surmise that he isn't much different in practices. He seems to rely on delegation rather than coach hands-on.

I also question the timing of the personnel moves he makes, which adds to the "no rhyme or reason" or senselessness of most, if not all of them.

Posted

I don't think his dog house holds any weight.... Heck Nacamoron is still playing, he should have been fired after the falcons game

Posted

I don't think his dog house holds any weight.... Heck Nacamoron is still playing, he should have been fired after the falcons game

Herp derp Nacamoron derp. Other than Falcons 1.0 how has Nakamura fuged us? Enlighten me please

Posted

Herp derp Nacamoron derp. Other than Falcons 1.0 how has Nakamura fuged us? Enlighten me please

No need to explain. Can already tell you don't watch the games.

2 people like this

Posted

The problem here is Rivera would rather bench players rather than coach them up. Benching rookies can really hurt a rookie's confidence. Coaches are supposed to coach up players. That's why they are called "the coach". Norman was good enough to start 10 + games. It's not like he suddenly sucks. If he is giving too much cushion, coach him to play tighter. If he can't choose which route to defend against, coach him to defend the best possible route and stick with it. Instead Rivera takes the easy way out and decides to bench him.

As far as Adams. Rivera benched him way longer than needed. A couple games at the most would've done it. Instead Rivera decides to not even bother coaching him up and keeps him in the doghouse to "set an example".

Another thing I saw Sunday was Armond Smith returning kicks. If Rivera knew Smith was a better option at kick returning, why not activate him weeks ago? Does it take over 10 weeks for him to suddenly decide Armanti isn't the answer and Smith is better? They certainly practice these things.

Finally, the biggest problem people seem to have is Rivera's hypocricy. He talks about benching players not performing to standards and "setting an example" or "wanting to look at the other young players" yet he trods Nakamura out on to the field every Sunday. Rivera is incompetent and lacks the leadership and coaching skills needed to be a head coach in this league.

1 person likes this

Posted

I thought it was pretty obvious that Rivera wanted to look at the other young guys.

Especially since that's what was reported.

I know... Mind blower.

4 people like this