Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodell wants to expand playoffs?

120 posts in this topic

Posted

I'd be in favor of picking the 6 best teams from each conference regardless of being a division champ or not so that we get the best teams possible in the playoffs. Or at least just 1 more wild card to each conference in the same current format so that teams that deserve to be in have less of a chance of being screwed over. Anything more than that will just mess with the integrity of the game and allow mediocre teams to get in.

i tend to agree, but then i remember a few years ago complaining about the playoffs being forced to take a mediocre nfcw team in front of teams with more wins thinking it was a travesty that the rules caused things like that to happen and i remember calling the cards the worst playoff team ever...and then they spank us and work their way to the superbowl.

showed me a thing or two.

Posted

My guess would be expand the 14 would be 7 teams in each conference with the #1 seeds getting a first round bye

1st round - 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, and 4 vs 5.

Then in the second round the #1 seed would play the lowest seed remaining from round 1, while the other two teams play each other.

If it expands to 16 teams, that's 8 teams each conference, so no byes just 8 teams lineup in single elimination for both conferences

14 Teams for the playoffs would be perfect. Only one team gets to fight for the bye week during the regular season and one more team gets added to the wild card.

nfl14team_Playoffs.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Then you could start getting one or more teams in with losing regular season records. There is no chance of the early playoff rounds becoming meaningless like the college bowls though because they are playoff games, so the more football the merrirer,

1 person likes this

Posted

Goodell is going to get those extra games that he has been trying to put on the schedule the last few years. This way would piss everyone off the least I think. Yeah it is a couple of extra games for conference leaders, but players would have to be happiest with this scenario instead of two more regular season games.

Posted

I remember when Baseball proposed using a wildcard system. People lost their minds. Tradition this, tradition that...don't mess with it if it ain't broke! That kind of thing. But you know I must say that change has made for some incredibly exciting playoff races since.

I'm for it!

Posted

More playoff games for the NFL makes sense given the limited number of regular season games. As it stands right now, Redskins and Cincinnati are outside looking in but these are both teams you want to see in the playoffs and have the ability to win.

If we went to 16 that would add the Cowboys and the Jets. The Jets aren't playoff caliber but these are both high ratings teams.

Posted

I don't want to see more losing teams in the playoffs. Has nothing to do with "tradition".

Posted

afraid the losing teams might win?

Posted

Why not expand it to 20 teams?

Posted

why not?

if a team can make it through those many teams and through all those rounds undefeated and win the whole thing, don' t you think they deserve it?

Posted

If Goodell proposed that every fan got a crisp new 100 dollar bill when they entered a stadium for an NFL game people would still bitch about how he is ruining the game.

I like the expanded format of 14 teams. 4 division winners and then the top 3 records. Seems like a great fix to situations where a team wins their division at 9-7 and leaves a 10-6 team sitting at home for the playoffs.

2 people like this

Posted

14 teams would be fine. Only 1 team per conference gets a bye. There would be hopefully less resting players and more competing for a wildcard/bye.

16 is too many. No reward for best record, too many bad teams in the playoffs