• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#91 fjblair

fjblair

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

It kind of defeats the point of having a good regular season if you can go 8-8 or even 7-9 and have a shot at the Super Bowl.

It's fuking stupid. They are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg if they don't quit tinkering with the NFL. There are only 16 games, the regular season is sacred. Leave it alone. Goodell is an idiot for even considering the idea.

#92 fjblair

fjblair

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

They used to also play 14 games a year and people said the same thing when they tried to move it to 16.

Well the people were right. It was perfect.

#93 PantherTrain84

PantherTrain84

• TROLLOLOL
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

I agree with expanding them to 14 games. How is it fair for the 9-7 Titans to miss out last year or the 10-6 Bucs before that?

#94 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,452 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

NO. Example #1-- the Jets under no circumstances should be in the playoffs this year unless they magically win a 6th seed. If you can't get in with 12 spots, too bad. We get new playoff teams every year.

#95 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,781 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

It's fuking stupid. They are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg if they don't quit tinkering with the NFL. There are only 16 games, the regular season is sacred. Leave it alone. Goodell is an idiot for even considering the idea.

it's their tinkering that got it to 16 games and 32 teams in the first place.

#96 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

it's their tinkering that got it to 16 games and 32 teams in the first place.

Defending Goodell?

#97 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,781 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Defending Goodell?

would that be a bad thing if i was (which i'm not, btw)? is he the debil incarnate? is he the bad guy?

he's just a guy and he's getting a bad wrap with this rule thing because it's not him making the rules, suggesting the rules, voting on them...he's just mentioning that it's been brought up and it will be discussed just like any suggestions would.

and the whole bounty gate thing is something that i love...you know why? because it was tearing down the SAINTS!!!! i can't for the life of me understand why any self-respecting panther fan would choose the saints side over goodell. goodell should be considered a hero for throwing that team back down the crapper, esp. since they were targeting cam.

#98 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

would that be a bad thing if i was (which i'm not, btw)? is he the debil incarnate? is he the bad guy?

he's just a guy and he's getting a bad wrap with this rule thing because it's not him making the rules, suggesting the rules, voting on them...he's just mentioning that it's been brought up and it will be discussed just like any suggestions would.

and the whole bounty gate thing is something that i love...you know why? because it was tearing down the SAINTS!!!! i can't for the life of me understand why any self-respecting panther fan would choose the saints side over goodell. goodell should be considered a hero for throwing that team back down the crapper, esp. since they were targeting cam.

has nothing to do with Saints or any of that mess, he did a good job on all of those things. I hate the Saints. Adding more teams to an already good playoff system is just dumb. Always has to be about money doesn't it

#99 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,781 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

has nothing to do with Saints or any of that mess, he did a good job on all of those things. I hate the Saints. Adding more teams to an already good playoff system is just dumb. Always has to be about money doesn't it

heres what you and the others aren' t getting tho...HE'S NOT MAKING THE RULES! crap, very rarely are the rule changes his idea.

its the competition committee suggesting the rules and the owners voting on them.

the whole thread is flawed because its started under the assumption that this is all goodall just trying to change the league when hes just the guy reporting what some have brought up to be discussed at the owners meeting at the end of the year.

and what makes it dumb and the whole 10 team thing so much better? whats so special about the way it is now?

#100 JoePanther

JoePanther

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

Owners want to see higher revenues and more profits from their investments and fans want to see more football. What's wrong with that? Most fans don't have a life anyway :thumbsd: Giving them more football would be a perfect way to keep them out of trouble.

#101 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

No hell no. Goodell is trying to water down the playoffs like the NCAA does with college football. Every time you turn around there is another bowl game add to the playoff for college teams. Bowl games have become crap. Bottom line it is all about the money for Goodell and the owners to make more money for themselves. They could careless. Killing the game even more. Why note. UGH!!

#102 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Its like Goodell said that they were going to only admit teams with losing records and play a round robin until we all puked and begged the league to give the trophy to the best of the worst.

The histrionics are getting down right comical.

#103 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,778 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

For those who can't get around Goodell... Bill Polian was just on Mike and Mike and he said they already studied this and ran numbers on it 6 or 7 years ago. He said the models showed that 14 teams was the ideal number and said (as I did earlier in the thread), it would give teams a greater reason to play all the way through the season. It would keep teams competitive to the very end.

He also said originally they discussed if they expanded to 14 teams that they would reduce the number of first-round byes to one per conference. Then he said if they expanded the regular season that it's possible they would add another first-round bye per conference.

Again, I think it would be nothing but good for the game.

#104 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,781 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

again, what's so special about the current play-off model...what makes it perfect?

what is so great about it that it should be left alone?

watered down...meh. what waters it down more, a 7-9 team that makes it into the playoffs because it has the benefit of being in a sucky division or one that brings more quality competition by allowing in another team with a winning record?

what's so bad about bringing in more competition for weaker teams who shouldn't be in there to begin with or presenting more of a way for a championship team to prove itself?

#105 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,781 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

For those who can't get around Goodell... Bill Polian was just on Mike and Mike and he said they already studied this and ran numbers on it 6 or 7 years ago. He said the models showed that 14 teams was the ideal number and said (as I did earlier in the thread), it would give teams a greater reason to play all the way through the season. It would keep teams competitive to the very end.

He also said originally they discussed if they expanded to 14 teams that they would reduce the number of first-round byes to one per conference. Then he said if they expanded the regular season that it's possible they would add another first-round bye per conference.

Again, I think it would be nothing but good for the game.

it just makes sense, but the level of irrational hate towards Goodell and/or the owners (who provide an opportunity for the game to be played at all) keeps them from being able to see anything that might make the game better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.