#1 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

http://hosted.ap.org...-12-13-03-21-05

But since the election, the Obama administration has quietly reopened the regulations pipeline.
In recent weeks, the Environmental Protection Agency has proposed rules to update water quality guidelines for beaches and other recreational waters and deal with runoff from logging roads. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, meanwhile, has proposed long-delayed regulations requiring auto makers to include event data recorders - better known as "black boxes" - in all new cars and light trucks beginning in 2014.

Who's up for some car black boxes!

I'm sure the jobs are going to create themselves any moment now. Any moment now. Starting....now.

#2 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Some form of this has been in cars since the 90's. It's not a huge change at all.

http://en.wikipedia....ard_diagnostics

1996: The OBD-II specification is made mandatory for all cars sold in the United States.

#3 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

And sink to the bottom with the submarines.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationOut in God's country.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

Why are these bad?

#4 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

That's for onboard computer diagnostics. Not recording of events leading up to crash. Voice? Brakes depressed at x, while running at x speed, mph at point airbag deployment=you were travelling at unsafe speed ticket/potential loss of license. Not that I'm minimizing the amazing amount of data that can be derived from it, but can be abused.

#5 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Yeah! Why should we give a fug about "water quality"!?

Hell! Republicans coulda created millions of jobs by now if they didn't have to dedicate so many resources to making sure the "Kenyan" was a one term president!

#6 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

And sink to the bottom with the submarines.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationOut in God's country.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

That's for onboard computer diagnostics. Not recording of events leading up to crash. Voice? Brakes depressed at x, while running at x speed, mph at point airbag deployment=you were travelling at unsafe speed ticket/potential loss of license. Not that I'm minimizing the amazing amount of data that can be derived from it, but can be abused.

Personally, if I or a member of my family were in an accident I'd want to know what happened, even if it was tragic. Granted you do have a point that this can be abused especially by the insurance companies.

#7 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Yeah! Why should we give a fug about "water quality"!?

Hell! Republicans coulda created millions of jobs by now if they didn't have to dedicate so many resources to making sure the "Kenyan" was a one term president!

Why are you such a racist piece of poo?

Nothing stopped Obama from releasing these regulations prior to the election. Why didn't he.

#8 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

If you've got nothing to hide (not driving like an asshole, or breaking the law - speeding) then you've got nothing to worry about....right?!?!?!

Isn't that your logic on all these invasion of privacy matters?

Ohh it's just that Obama is doing this and it's not being implemented to supposedly help hunt down brown boogie men, right? Gotcha.

#9 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

That's for onboard computer diagnostics.

That's just the 90's example. Most cars have event recorders already installed. GM actually started installing airbag event recorders in the 80's for fear of being sued.

More than 95 percent of 2013 model passenger cars already carry the “event data recorders,” according to estimates by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

http://www.nextgov.c...xes-cars/60126/

If the NHTSA had not come out with this story you would have not known or cared about these recorders. The black box is likely just a standardized version of what is already installed.

Lt. Gov. Timothy Murray of Massachusetts found out the hard way last year.

He crashed a car he was driving and told police that he was wearing a seatbelt and was not speeding at the time of the crash.

However the black box installed in his car revealed he was actually speeding at 75 miles per hour in a 65 mile per hour zone, before accelerating to more than 100 miles per hour.

#10 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yet another ignorant racist statement from another piece of poo (floppin).

Do you all use a script? Given literary freedom to plug in whatever race qualifier you so choose?

As for the black boxes...I'm not for/against them honestly. It's just that it's now going to be a requirement. Governments have also floated the idea of highway taxation based on use. This could be used for that purpose.

#11 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Do you all use a script? Given literary freedom to plug in whatever race qualifier you so choose?

As for the black boxes...I'm not for/against them honestly. It's just that it's now going to be a requirement. Governments have also floated the idea of highway taxation based on use. This could be used for that purpose.

Nothing I said was racist, you cuntstain. Try again.

Are you seriously insinuating that me calling you out on being all honky-dory with any privacy restricting regulation, so long as it's hunting for muslim terrorists, is racist?

#12 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

I think the main abuse people worry about are how insurance companies could use them.

But there are other uses. One company I work with - Getaround - uses a version of it for peer to peer rentals. And I think parents would like to be able to monitor new kid drivers.

Hopefully congress will also legislate who owns the data ultimately and it should be the driver.

#13 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for neg repping me Happy Panther, I assume it's because I called the cuntstain a cuntstain. I only insulted him because he called me a peice of poo. If you mind, please apply appropriate neg rep to the originator of the name calling.

#14 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

If you've got nothing to hide (not driving like an asshole, or breaking the law - speeding) then you've got nothing to worry about....right?!?!?!

Isn't that your logic on all these invasion of privacy matters?

Ohh it's just that Obama is doing this and it's not being implemented to supposedly help hunt down brown boogie men, right? Gotcha.

Yes...that's not a racist statement at all Floppin.

And get it right...I called you a racist piece of poo.

#15 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Why are you such a racist piece of poo?

Because it was in the meeting.

Nothing stopped Obama from releasing these regulations prior to the election. Why didn't he.

Political expediency. (Just a tip, questions don't end with a period.)

Now then why did Republicans make "insuring Obama was a one term president" their top priority instead of creating jobs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com