#16 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,727 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Spanking only comes from two events.

Talking back/disrespect shown towards parent or adult in guardian role or when doing something stupid that could cause serious harm to themselves or someone else.

I'm quite the jerk taking away stuff...but it hasn't seemed to work lately, BUT we're thinking about new stuff.

#17 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

My kids are so young it's hard to say for a 12 year old.

One thing I know will always be true, be consistent in all of your punishments, whatever they are. That's the only way they'll ever have an impact.

#18 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Kids need to be spanked until they about 14. Then they will start settling in. Remember, you spank the child because you care and love him/her.

#19 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,112 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Kids need to be spanked until they about 14. Then they will start settling in. Remember, you spank the child because you care and love him/her.

lolwut

#20 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

I call it tough love.

#21 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

I think I was spanked until I was 9 or 10..after that..it was extra housework or poo got taken away

I do remember though getting back handed twice..once by Dad for not cleaning my room after he told me to do probably 20 times...

the other time was by my Mom when I was 17...we were fighting ...as usual and I said "What are you gonna do, fuging hit me?!"....SLLLLLLLLLAP! My Dad was right in the middle of that poo...God, I was such a fuging bitch

#22 Crixtala

Crixtala

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

this was my fathers philosophy... we do well, we're rewarded. we fug up, we're getting spanked with the wooden "stick" under the bed + grounded (didn't have much until i was older, so basically no TV, no playing with friends, pretty much went to bed after dinner... later on, no gameboy, sega genesis, music <-- hurt the most)

i hated it, and thought i hated my father for most of my younger years, but now that i'm an adult i have the utmost love and respect for him. i've turned out nothing like him, but i know that i wouldn't be who i am now without the way he raised me and wouldn't change a thing.

obviously, different people can get to that same outcome in different ways... and i'm not necessarily advocating spanking, but it's what worked for me - a hard-headed kid.

#23 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Was???

Just kidd...

#24 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

To this day I am scared of getting my ass beat by my dad, who am I kidding.

#25 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

my punishment was work. hauling bricks, fixing the driveway, cleaning the gutters, washing the cars... whatever needed to get done. i learned a hell of a lot more from that than i ever learned from being spanked.

#26 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,322 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

You have to know as they get older what gets their attention. When my girls were younger the only time we spanked was either lying or hitting someone else. As they got older the mere mention of spanking would alter behavior.
Now as 13 and 10 we deprive them of stuff they like or want but you have to make it short term and avoid exasperating them. Because the they may do what you want to shut you up and that creates a wall.
At times we will take something away and ask them what should it be. We never punish them with more work or go to their room. Some kids want to go to their room.

What we also do is offer a chance to fix it. If they can fix it then no punishment.
One other thing to consider. Sometimes the punishment is more effective when the other parent does it. If its just mom or dad they get tone deaf or associate one over the other with bad stuff.
My wife and I trade off. Also mom and dad ALWAYS need to be on the same page on what the punishment is. If you disagree get it settled before you talk to them.
Hang in there.

#27 LifeisaGarden

LifeisaGarden

Bitchassness

• HUDDLER
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

The thing I hate the most that she does right now is when she's told to do something she'll sit there until she's ready to get up or until I raise my voice and start counting. She's hoping I'll walk off and forget what I told her to do.

One of the problems kids have at this age is selfishness, so yes, when she pulls the "write 10 things you like about your parents" from the jar, it helps her think of someone else instead of herself and own feelings.

I don't spank, I did occasionally when she was little but like biscuit said, only for dangerous situations.

I recently saw someone bite their 3 year old for biting another child. WTH? You don't bite your kid!

#28 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

poo, I might...it'll show 'em that poo hurts! :)

#29 il Malocchio

il Malocchio

formerly j2sgam...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,845 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

All of the above mentioned punishments yous had growing up, I got all that too. Dig a hole only to fill it in, lots of extra chores, had my ass whooped quite a few times, was grounded a lot(once for 4 months to my room -no TV, no phone, no Atari, got caught stealing for a 3rd time). Every bit of it made me a better person/father now, although I didnt always see it like that...

My kids are 3 & 5, and are as hard-headed as their father. They know theyre gettin a poppin when I count to 3. Lately Ive been tellin them Im not counting & show them 'teh Poppin Hand', they are learning... I have been tryin to get into takin things away, but I think mine are too young yet to 'appreciate' what I am doing. I feel a lot like SCP said he does, I want to be more patient, but it is hard to be a lot of the time. I fuggin hate it when my kids are acting up when we all get hoem & I feel like all Ive done all night is discipline them. It will help when they get older is what I keep tellin myself, then I make sure to let them know that Daddy loves them before they go to sleep....

Tough spot, LiaG.. I do think taking away the things they like most is most effective. 'Hit 'em where it hurts' theory. Its like at work, somebody showin up late regularly, give them the day off. Theyll figure it out come payday... Take away the TV & make her earn it back...

I have my in-laws stayin with us 'temporarily'. My 15-yo sister in law is the same way, had to tell her 5 times to do the dishes. She did dishes for a week, going to see if she learned her lesson tonight...

#30 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 17,957 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

All of the above mentioned punishments yous had growing up, I got all that too. Dig a hole only to fill it in, lots of extra chores, had my ass whooped quite a few times, was grounded a lot(once for 4 months to my room -no TV, no phone, no Atari, got caught stealing for a 3rd time). Every bit of it made me a better person/father now, although I didnt always see it like that...

My kids are 3 & 5, and are as hard-headed as their father. They know theyre gettin a poppin when I count to 3. Lately Ive been tellin them Im not counting & show them 'teh Poppin Hand', they are learning... I have been tryin to get into takin things away, but I think mine are too young yet to 'appreciate' what I am doing. I feel a lot like SCP said he does, I want to be more patient, but it is hard to be a lot of the time. I fuggin hate it when my kids are acting up when we all get hoem & I feel like all Ive done all night is discipline them. It will help when they get older is what I keep tellin myself, then I make sure to let them know that Daddy loves them before they go to sleep....

Tough spot, LiaG.. I do think taking away the things they like most is most effective. 'Hit 'em where it hurts' theory. Its like at work, somebody showin up late regularly, give them the day off. Theyll figure it out come payday... Take away the TV & make her earn it back...

I have my in-laws stayin with us 'temporarily'. My 15-yo sister in law is the same way, had to tell her 5 times to do the dishes. She did dishes for a week, going to see if she learned her lesson tonight...

I know what you mean. Lately from the time we get home til the time they get in bed it's a power struggle. Then when their asleep its like poo, I didn't even get to enjoy my kids. They wife and I both work so in the morning it a rush and at night it's a rush. It's not fair to the boys. But the back talk and the stubbornness just gets me going. I haven't been able to spank my boys yet, but that might be what the next step is. At least mix it in every once in awhile.

Pstall had some good points as well about not prolonging it too much. Never thought of that. Sometimes I want to let that poo marinate, it's hard sometimes to remember they are 2 and 7 when they are misbehaving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.