• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Paintballr

Paintballr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

I don't post here much anymore but was hoping to get some advice or help with anyone who is familiar with HR or pay etc at jobs. I won't name the previous employer but I worked for them the past 3 1/2 years. It's a major electronics retailer that isn't doing very well so I left the company for a more stable job. I quit sept. 17th.

I was able to receive two types of bonus while working, a monthly bonus based off revenue, and a quarterly bonus based off my stores P&L and revenue. The Quarter 3 for thus company is from August-October. So left exactly half way in the quarter. I have many friends that still work and have told me they received a bonus for this quarter. So I called HR to ask why I didn't receive a pro rated bonus for my time at the store and my departments performance etc. they stated that I had to be in position till November 3rd(first day of quarter 4) to receive any kind of bonus. From what they always engraved in your head is that time work = time paid and I should receive a bonus based off my time and performance at the store. I did sign job offer forms when I got promoted to a manager, but I never signed a document going over m bonus structure and that if I don't finish the quarter I won't receive any. I asked HR to send the document that stats that and they just said "it's available on our website for employees to access and read, it's not a signed document".

Am I fighting a lost cause or should I contact my store etc? 25% bonus would be nice right about now.

#2 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,216 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I don't think you have much claim over a bonus that was earned when you weren't there.

#3 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

doesn't sound like you have too much leverage.

#4 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

fug Best Buy.

#5 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

If its not over 5k some states won't even open a case. My wife is still owed 4k from her prev employer and the state of nc was like and? And we were like what? And they were like no. And we were like oh.

#6 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

Talking about Best Buy... They supposed go under right after New Year. Their CEO just quit. If you used to work for Best Buy, just forget about that money.

#7 Paintballr

Paintballr

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Yeah it's best buy, just feel like I want to get back as much as they owe me. For people who said I didn't earn it, I was a sale manager for computers, tablets, and mp3. August is tax free weekend which is 80% my departments, my department is the only reason why they would bonus hah

#8 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Any job I have had the bonus was either
1) Discretionary if you left before the bonus pay date or
2) clearly noted in the contract as to dates.

So as others noted you have very little leverage.

#9 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Its a BONUS you quit honestly you dont deserve it. What if you quit two weeks prior to the end of the quarter. Then they did 50 million in sales, do you still deserve the bonus? Since it could go either way when someone quits mid-quarter they are right and you are wrong. I personally think it was petty to even ask.

#10 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Most companies state that you have to be gainfully employed to receive bonuses when they are to be paid out.

#11 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,105 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

I don't post here much anymore but was hoping to get some advice or help with anyone who is familiar with HR or pay etc at jobs. I won't name the previous employer but I worked for them the past 3 1/2 years. It's a major electronics retailer that isn't doing very well so I left the company for a more stable job. I quit sept. 17th.

I was able to receive two types of bonus while working, a monthly bonus based off revenue, and a quarterly bonus based off my stores P&L and revenue. The Quarter 3 for thus company is from August-October. So left exactly half way in the quarter. I have many friends that still work and have told me they received a bonus for this quarter. So I called HR to ask why I didn't receive a pro rated bonus for my time at the store and my departments performance etc. they stated that I had to be in position till November 3rd(first day of quarter 4) to receive any kind of bonus. From what they always engraved in your head is that time work = time paid and I should receive a bonus based off my time and performance at the store. I did sign job offer forms when I got promoted to a manager, but I never signed a document going over m bonus structure and that if I don't finish the quarter I won't receive any. I asked HR to send the document that stats that and they just said "it's available on our website for employees to access and read, it's not a signed document".

Am I fighting a lost cause or should I contact my store etc? 25% bonus would be nice right about now.

random question, was this at the concord mills store?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.