Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jackofalltrades

Overlooked stat for Cam

173 posts in this topic

Dude understand this. In the read option the QUARTERBACK, which is Cam Newton, ultimately decides to keep it or hand it off. Ask him why that is. He has to ultimately decide if it's a good idea to hand the ball off to your running back. If he will have the lanes and running room based on the defense that's coming at him.

If he's having an easier time with standard plays, it's because the decision making is often pre-determined. He just needs to go through his progressions. It's less off of his plate, not because there is something wrong with the spread option.

Do you honestly believe a defense has an easier time defending 6 offensive players, one of them being your rushing quarterback, with many more possibilities on each play rather than 5 with a stationary QB? Do you think it's better to keep Cam in the pocket longer, behind a shitty O line?

Chud's not the idiot the majority of this fan base thinks he is. Sorry, but It's the other way around.

We run a variation of the spread option based on the Air Coryell which includes a variety of option plays. Other teams are copying what we started last year. The Redskins run it so religiously, it could be considered their base offense. 49ers are going in that direction with Colin. Russel Wilson's biggest touchdowns and pass completions come out of the spread option. Same for RG3. It's why he has these wiiiide open receivers.

Cam's 72 yard touchdown, longest of his career came out of the spread option.

To move away from that when other dual rush QB's are tearing up the NFL, is pretty idiotic at this point and I'm sorry but the ones calling out for us to start putting Cam in I formation on a regular basis are just absolutely laughable. Cam just needs to learn how to "read" the defense when running the read option so he stops falling into defensive traps when they disguise coverage. The problem's not the option. It gives offenses a HUGE advantage. It's his ability to read it on the fly then make the right decision quickly.

If Cam didn't know how to read the defense from the option and Chud had him run it anyway then that would make Chud an idiot.

If Cam didn't know how to read the defense from the option and Chud had him run it anyway then that would make Chud an idiot

No because that's how he learns. There's no getting around it in this league. He has to learn it. It's not optional.

Despite what some might thing here when looking for scapegoats, this coaching staff is highly supportive of Cam and have done everything possible to help that, including asking our other players to change their styles. They want him to succeed. Their careers depend on it too.

He's not going to learn by just watching tape. There's also no reason to have a dual rush QB like Cam Newton and not try to make the spread option work. Pocket passer = wasted talent. Maybe when he's older you transition to that, but right now, you take advantage of his legs, which right now is still his most potent weapon.

Reading the Defense is one thing. But most NFL players do that before the ball is snapped. And then "take" what the defense "gives" them.

The Read option made him read and hurry and question his reads/options.

Not to mention, I think the Oline not knowing what they were blocking for... the run or the pass didn't help either.

Gotta love it. PFFL coming into this thread explaining the nuances of the spread offense and the read option when just a couple of weeks ago I had to explain to him what the read option is. He didn't understand the difference between the pistol and a standard shotgun formation, nor did he know what the read option referred to. Now he comes into this thread throwing around his expertise.

Take your hate somewhere else PFFL. You've been exposed here too many times.

1 person likes this

Gotta love it. PFFL coming into this thread explaining the nuances of the spread offense and the read option when just a couple of weeks ago I had to explain to him what the read option is. He didn't understand the difference between the pistol and a standard shotgun formation, nor did he know what the read option referred to. Now he comes into this thread throwing around his expertise.

Take your hate somewhere else PFFL. You've been exposed here too many times.

LOL

You have never explained anything about football to me Marguide that I didn't already know. You mean I proved you wrong when I showed you we ran out of the shotgun much more than you thought last year and you were not able to observe in a picture which stayed there for a full day the QB was 4 yards back....and now you don't even have the decency to remember you were wrong.

Yeah I thought it was pretty hilarious myself..."In the pistol the QB lines up 4 yards back but the shotgun 7" ...and you couldn't tell you were looking at a picture of a weak pistol. You are a true expert....

Steve-Smith-1-620x468.png

Marguide has no fuging clue that this is a pistol. He thinks it's "standard" shotgun and can't tell our RB is actually 7 yards back, not the QB.

Stop telling people you are right. You aren't. We run the pistol. Religiously.

The problem with people like you and a lot of other Cam Newton fans is that even after someone shows you evidence and facts, and proves you wrong, you still go on spouting about how you were correct and exposed others. No integrity.

Here's the post you didn't even bother to respond to cause you had no answer:

The only thing you exposed is your inability to count.

a formation called the "pistol", in which the running back, instead of lining up next to the quarterback, lines up behind the quarterback, who in turn has lined up two to three yards behind the center

In the shotgun, instead of the quarterback receiving the snap from center at the line of scrimmage, he stands farther behind the line of scrimmage, often five to seven yards back.

....from wikipedia

3 people like this

a formation called the "pistol", in which the running back, instead of lining up next to the quarterback, lines up behind the quarterback, who in turn has lined up two to three yards behind the center

In the shotgun, instead of the quarterback receiving the snap from center at the line of scrimmage, he stands farther behind the line of scrimmage, often five to seven yards back.

....from wikipedia

Oh Marguide read the wikipedia article, I could tell he got the info from there when he was mentioning steps(as if it's not plainly obvious by just looking at it to anyone who knows what a pistol formation is). The problem is he still can't count the yards. And he still can't tell we run the pistol and have been running the pistol since 2011 just about every damn game.

He just likes to make claims of "exposing" me and being right when it's plainly obvious that anyone who makes the statement that we "very rarely run the pistol" ....have no freaking clue what they are talking about.

Oh Marguide read the wikipedia article, I could tell he got the info from there when he was mentioning steps(as if it's not plainly obvious by just looking at it to anyone who knows what a pistol formation is). The problem is he still can't count the yards. And he still can't tell we run the pistol and have been running the pistol since 2011 just about every damn game.

He just likes to make claims of "exposing" me and being right when it's plainly obvious that anyone who makes the statement that we "very rarely run the pistol" ....have no freaking clue what they are talking about.

dont care about you and marguides fact battle.

did read the thread and prompted me to look it up.

im not a guru, but it seems they are lined up in shotgun and in a pistol formation in that play. just by judging the 5 yds Cam is behind center and Dwill 2 yds back of Cam. Could it be a little of both by definition?

LOL

You have never explained anything about football to me Marguide that I didn't already know. You mean I proved you wrong when I showed you we ran out of the shotgun much more than you thought last year and you were not able to observe in a picture which stayed there for a full day the QB was 4 yards back....and now you don't even have the decency to remember you were wrong.

Yeah I thought it was pretty hilarious myself..."In the pistol the QB lines up 4 yards back but the shotgun 7" ...and you couldn't tell you were looking at a picture of a weak pistol. You are a true expert....

Steve-Smith-1-620x468.png

Marguide has no fuging clue that this is a pistol. He thinks it's "standard" shotgun and can't tell our RB is actually 7 yards back, not the QB.

Stop telling people you are right. You aren't. We run the pistol. Religiously.

The problem with people like you and a lot of other Cam Newton fans is that even after someone shows you evidence and facts, and proves you wrong, you still go on spouting about how you were correct and exposed others. No integrity.

Here's the post you didn't even bother to respond to cause you had no answer:

The only thing you exposed is your inability to count.

Ha, ha.

You posted the above only after we had all seen with our own eyes that you didn't know the difference. Some quick research, a screen shot, and now you're an expert.

You aren't worth my time or anyone else's.

1 person likes this

dont care about you and marguides fact battle.

did read the thread and prompted me to look it up.

im not a guru, but it seems they are lined up in shotgun and in a pistol formation in that play. just by judging the 5 yds Cam is behind center and Dwill 2 yds back of Cam. Could it be a little of both by definition?

Yes, it's basically a short shotgun with running backs around you and there's a lot of variations of the pistol. Double option, triple option, weak pistol, pistol, etc....

A lot of people get confused in terminology, but it can all be wrapped up in two words: the spread option.

Yes, it's basically a short shotgun with running backs around you and there's a lot of variations of the pistol. Double option, triple option, weak pistol, pistol, etc....

A lot of people get confused in terminology, but it can all be wrapped up in two words: the spread option.

is this the Cam td play?

edit: its seattle

the spread option.

When a woman is on all four with knees wide...

1 person likes this