511 replies to this topic

#211 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,544 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Its sad that the majority of Americans work hard to make this world/ society better and one nut job can do do much harm in less than a day.

#212 Crim

Crim

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Major in house or in school changes from the time period

#1 Bible taken out of school

#2 Women taken out of homes and into the workforce.(away from properly raising children)I'm not against women in the workforce I just believe it has a negative impact on how your children are raised. How well do you know the people tending your child at so impressionable an age?

#3 Massive increase of Liberal ideology.

Notice all these acts are coming from kids 25 and below where the effects of these changes can been seen. Most 30 and below attended school with out the bible as did some of their parents.

Agree or disagree I don't much care. I'm just trying to give you answers I believe in.

ps. Also this is happening more in Blue states for that thats worth?

Posted Image

#213 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

http://www.antilife....es/marilyn.html

^this needs to be read by everyone.

also...something I came across on reddit the other day that I think is very appropriate...

We can't simply talk about societal pressures, we have to look at what it feels like to be that boy, that man. How you are treated, the psychological progression from "ok" to "frustrated" to "anger" to "desperate", how you necessarily have to internalize your problems, how you are set up in life only to fall through the gaping hole that is called "the male ego" and then to be ridiculed for being so naive as to want to express yourself
You know how you feel pressure to look good and dress nicely. You feel that everyday, no one tells you but everyone is looking and you feel those eyes on you. You can't help but notice that everyone notices. It's ingrained into society, it's accepted, you don't even realize it's there because it's omnipresent. Like air.
The same thing exists with "be a man". No one wants to hear how hard you have it, your problems or your emotions. "Man up" echos everywhere, silently, implicitly. At first an innocent term of motivation, now an ironically desperate attempt to demonstrate masculinity. The term is so confused it is now used to claim opposing behaviors as manly. A real man doesn't cry - A real man cries. Can you imagine hearing someone say "A real woman drinks margaritas"? There is an uneasiness around being a man these days because no one knows what it means anymore.
The worst part about these struggles is how everyone seems to be ok with it. There is no visible group advocating for a balanced masculinity or an open discussion on male identity. Male problems aren't even on the radar. If you don't ask for help what do you do? You do the only thing you can do, you internalize your pain, you ignore it and it grows silently. Who is going to help you through this? Is there anything more terrifying to society than a man who needs help? Have you ever seen a grown man cry in public? It's unsettling.
You're too ashamed and simultaneously too proud to ask for help. Asking for help means you aren't "manning up" like everything in culture silently tells you to do. And so everything that isn't addressed becomes that dark beast inside you, lurking at the edges. You become so out of touch with your emotions it's a surprise when you're actually happy, like it's an accident. A childish glee of a once happy childhood being crushed by your everyday repressed identity. You lose all sense of proportion. Drugs, alcohol, depression, fighting and other self-destructive behavior show up. At least self-erasure makes sense, at least you can control the rate of your descent. A joyous self-annihilation, like watching your own car crash in slow motion from far away, simultaneously inside the car and outside it. A symbolic interpretation of reality. This is in fact your true position in all this, your emotional self is a 1000 miles away observing this scene with equanimity, your actual self speeding into a brick wall.
Your friends have long since stopped caring, ignoring all the warning signs, some may reach out but you're too far gone for kind words or formal gestures. You're desperate and angry. You become fully desensitized and ignore your emotions, seeing them as obstacles. You are now a man "at war" with himself, the motto of this war is "take no prisoners". You snuff out feelings, you do this once and it makes things easier and then again, and again, and again, you're on your way down that desolate road. It becomes a comical routine, your patheticness is a joke even to yourself. You've lost all sense of reality, you're walking down that road of quiet desperation. Every man that's been told to "man up" knows what I'm talking about. Every man that doesn't get lucky or ask for help in time ends up in the same place, in the gutter. Alone, cold and forgotten. Homeless both in reality and spiritually.
The old male roles are dying if not dead. They continue to subsist in obscurity, as an after-thought or a punch-line to a joke that provokes uneasy laughter. Young men continue on in the empty space left by these non-roles, without guidance or any solid concept or understanding of themselves or their masculine identity. Education doesn't worry about boys, they've always been fine on their own, right? Boys and young men have a much different kind of education, a negative education. They are not told that their normal selves are good, fine and valuable, that being energetic, spontaneous and loud is a good thing, no, they are simply told what they can't do. Sit down, shut up, stop interrupting, if you can't control yourself we're going to see the principal, we'll call your parents, we're going to ridicule you. And so they grow up literally clueless, looking to social cues, formal structures and hyper-male caricatures for help. We all know these clueless young men, we all know how bleak a future they have, we ignore it, they ignore it, video games are always fun, right? What a heartbreaking story of normal everyday occurrence. Our sons, our brothers, our fathers pretending everything is fine, no one ever asks them "Are you Ok?"
Summary: Masculinity is a deeply misunderstood concept, almost as if on purpose. Misunderstood by society as a whole, but also by women and, most offensively, by the men themselves. Everyone participates in this "good man" myth, completely unaware that there is no concept of a good man today, masculinity is an unknown which we can use and abuse as we see fit. Can you go a day without hearing something in the news about violence or war? Everyone knows those are male things, right?
The bottom line is everyone has a choice in how they treat boys and men, everyone can decide whether they should be treated as human beings or if they can "take it like a man". No one proposes what masculinity could be, no one seeks to glorify or worship it, no one speaks of the hidden potential of our young men today, no one dares to give it it's proper place in society. Male identity is a negative today, ridiculed, feared and marginalized.
What do men do in this climate? They do the only thing they can do, ignore all of it, live their owns lives, try to get by somehow, they "man up".

http://www.reddit.co..._man_up/c7f1p04

#214 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

#2 Women taken out of homes and into the workforce.(away from properly raising children)I'm not against women in the workforce I just believe it has a negative impact on how your children are raised. How well do you know the people tending your child at so impressionable an age?

Notice all these acts are coming from kids 25 and below where the effects of these changes can been seen. Most 30 and below attended school with out the bible as did some of their parents.

Agree or disagree I don't much care. I'm just trying to give you answers I believe in.

#215 Dex

Dex

Gameday Menu Connoisseur

• HUDDLER
  • 5,342 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

This hasn't been an easy day. Ambulances drove by my work all day and people would come in for gas in tears. I don't know anyone personally affected but it has had a very big impact on my community. All of my town's ambulances were dispatched to Sandy Hook to help. Just a very difficult day to live here. Hopefully everyone affected will have the strength to push on.

#216 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

wat

Dumb just fudging dumb

These happen to 20 something's because that's when mental illness strikes.

There's no one cause to being a sociopath....we had one here. (Pry still do)

Mental illness
Desensitization to violence
Guns

All are ingredients to what happened. This wouldn't have happened if one of those were missing from the equation

#217 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 9,361 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I am obviously twice as old as most of you farts so let me tell you how things have changed.

I remember in the school parking lot how guys used to bring their rifles to school on gun racks and show them off just the same as they showed off their new white letter tires or 396 engines. Nobody ever worried or thought about something like this happening. I would not begin to try to say what the root cause would be for a lack of respect for other human beings would be. Probably not any one thing, but I am sure the Huddle will have it solved before bedtime.

#218 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 9,361 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

ABC reporting he was autistic?

#219 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,701 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

The Bible is far too violent a book to be in schools.

#220 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,257 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

It's mental illness. Schizophrenia hits mid 20s males

#221 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

Programming.

#222 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

American society has a serious issue when it comes to glorifying violence.

Guns are readily available and extremely efficient at what they are designed to do... kill.

The combination of these two elements helps explain why Americans are among the world leaders in gun violence.

It is long past due for a serious national dialog on steps to help reduce the likelihood of more events like Sandy Hook and the countless other mass shootings we have witnessed.

A relatively easy first step would be to close the loop holes that allows 40% of all guns to be purchased without any background check.

We know the NRA is adamantly apposed to this idea but most gun owners are not members of the NRA and do not support many of the NRA's more extreme positions.

It is time for responsible gun owners to have their voices heard and help prevent guns from falling into the hands of people that have no business having them.

#223 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

I am obviously twice as old as most of you farts so let me tell you how things have changed.

I remember in the school parking lot how guys used to bring their rifles to school on gun racks and show them off just the same as they showed off their new white letter tires or 396 engines. Nobody ever worried or thought about something like this happening. I would not begin to try to say what the root cause would be for a lack of respect for other human beings would be. Probably not any one thing, but I am sure the Huddle will have it solved before bedtime.

Yup, I rode the bus with a kid who brought a pistol to school everyday. He told all of us on the bus, nobody snitched and he didn't kill anybody.

#224 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Now you're getting warmer...

But, the problem IS people... We've always been like this... You only hear about it more now because this is America... We're hundreds upon hundreds of years behind the rest of the world...

bull sh it

#225 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

American society has a serious issue when it comes to glorifying violence.

Guns are readily available and extremely efficient at what they are designed to do... kill.

The combination of these two elements helps explain why Americans are among the world leaders in gun violence.

It is long past due for a serious national dialog on steps to help reduce the likelihood of more events like Sandy Hook and the countless other mass shootings we have witnessed.

A relatively easy first step would be to close the gun show loop hole that allows 40% of all guns to be purchased without any background check.

We know the NRA is adamantly apposed to this idea but most gun owners are not members of the NRA and do not support many of the NRA's more extreme positions.

It is time for responsible gun owners to have their voices heard and help prevent guns from falling into the hands of people that have no business having them.

unfortunately, most of the guns used in these situations are purchased legally. That said... I agree with you completely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.