#376 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Still so unbelievable even just a day later.

#377 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,234 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

WOW, now im seeing that Ryan Lanza wasn't the shooter but it was his brother Adam Lanza.

Something doesn't seem right.

Absolute tragedy. It is impossible to understand how anyone is capable if this type if action .

The more I read about the shooter. The more disturbing and scary this gets. He definitely had mental issues and everyone chose to not notice.

But, the ridiculous false reports and misleading info from the media during this situation has been amazing.

Every news outlet is trying to scoop the others. I would prefer they say that they don't have details and "report" them when they are known.

#378 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,234 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

Haha I haven't trashed one religion in here. I have simply pointed out examples of what you and others have done to Christianity. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

If I came in here and said Atheists were the reason that this happened, I would be attacked and made fun of.

But if I came in here and said Christians are the reason that this tragedy happened, I would get pie...

Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

I am clearly the most tolerant individual in here because I'm the only person that hasn't called anyone out on their faith.

Anyone saying atheists are the reason this happened or Christians are the reason this happened just proves they are a complete idiot .

This was an act by a mentally ill person.

#379 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

It should come as no surprise that the rate of mass shootings at schools and in other public places is increasing. The surge has nothing to do with guns, which have been widely available in the U.S. for years. Gun control laws have been increasing. Instead, there is a direct correlation between the increase in violence and the gradual degradation of morals, ethics and parenting. We are cultivating mental illness in our society.
Parents are allowing television and video games to increasingly babysit their children, even though both have become full of gratuitous violence. A New York Times study of rampage killers found that six of them were into violent video games. Research shows that violent video games and television desensitize people and promote aggressive behavior, despite claims to the contrary. A research scientist at the University of Michigan found that television was responsible for 10% of youth violence. Parents today are neglecting their children, and when things don't go well, rushing to get divorced instead of trying to work things out first. Children suffer emotionally when their parents fight or split up. Parents are ignoring their children so much they don't even see the warning signs that something might be wrong. The New York Times study found that 63 of 100 rampage killers had made threats of violence before the event.

#380 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

There's no question the shooter had problems, but he knew what he was doing was wrong. Yesterday it was confirmed he shot himself, so that concludes he was aware of what he was doing. It's probably time we as a society stop isolating it's children. We should encourage people to try to connect with kids in class who tend to isolate themselves. Now I'm not saying for every student who's shy and quiet, we need to talk to them and find out what's going on. I myself was shy and quiet, still am in a lot of ways. Yet I'm talking about the really isolated kids. The ones who people make effort to avoid. I was quite but I didn't isolate myself from classmates and teachers.

Even with all that said, I'm not saying everyone who isolates themselves will go around shooting people one day. Yet all in all, the isolation itself is not good one bit. Adam Lanza knew what he was doing, the act is completely on him, he's guilty. Yet his childhood and enviroment probably didn't help him much to turn his life around. I'm not condemning his parents by any means, but we need to realize marriage and relationships involve a lot more people than just the two who enter it. Namely the relationship will affect any kids that may result from it. Again I'm not condemning the parents for their sons actions, but as tough as the reality is, their seperation couldn't have helped their son's condition, what mental stability he had. I mean divorce would have a great impact on some of the most mentally stable people on this planet, and that impact can only be negative (for the children).

Some people will try to find a motive for what this guy did, but that would be crazy to do. All you can do is try to prevent stuff like this from happening. Two of the biggest things is getting to know someone who isolates themsevles in school, and encourage more responsibility when it comes to relationships.

#381 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,014 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

On topic as a reference to the tragedy - Has anyone seen the movie 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'? It reminds me a lot of this tragedy in how it has played out so far.

#382 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,566 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I have stayed away from this thing, but I want to make one small point.

IMO, the media is as much to blame for the increase in this type of behavior as anything.

Many kids/young adults feel alone, like they don't matter, no one would miss them, etc....

This type of violence gives them the stage, a way to shout out to everyone that they do matter. If the media didn't go hog wild on this stuff, I bet the instances would slow down.

#383 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

It should come as no surprise that the rate of mass shootings at schools and in other public places is increasing. The surge has nothing to do with guns, which have been widely available in the U.S. for years. Gun control laws have been increasing. Instead, there is a direct correlation between the increase in violence and the gradual degradation of morals, ethics and parenting. We are cultivating mental illness in our society.
Parents are allowing television and video games to increasingly babysit their children, even though both have become full of gratuitous violence. A New York Times study of rampage killers found that six of them were into violent video games. Research shows that violent video games and television desensitize people and promote aggressive behavior, despite claims to the contrary. A research scientist at the University of Michigan found that television was responsible for 10% of youth violence. Parents today are neglecting their children, and when things don't go well, rushing to get divorced instead of trying to work things out first. Children suffer emotionally when their parents fight or split up. Parents are ignoring their children so much they don't even see the warning signs that something might be wrong. The New York Times study found that 63 of 100 rampage killers had made threats of violence before the event.

When i was growing up we blamed heavy metal music.

#384 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

A New York Times study of rampage killers found that six of them were into violent video games.

What percentage of normal young people are into violent video games. Probably 60%.

All these studies I find specious.

You know what I bet? I bet he was mentally unstable but driven over the edge by psycho-stimulants or antidepressants. Just watch. THAT is what is different than 30 years ago.

#385 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,168 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Pssst video games are a problem....if you are a sociopath

#386 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Bartlesville High School student arrested in school-shooting plot

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworl..._0_BARTLE641724

#387 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

I have stayed away from this thing, but I want to make one small point.

IMO, the media is as much to blame for the increase in this type of behavior as anything.

Many kids/young adults feel alone, like they don't matter, no one would miss them, etc....

This type of violence gives them the stage, a way to shout out to everyone that they do matter. If the media didn't go hog wild on this stuff, I bet the instances would slow down.

amen to this!! I 100% totally agree with you...in fact, I just posted the same topic on facebook this morning.

#388 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

What percentage of normal young people are into violent video games. Probably 60%.

All these studies I find specious.

You know what I bet? I bet he was mentally unstable but driven over the edge by psycho-stimulants or antidepressants. Just watch. THAT is what is different than 30 years ago.

It's a higher percentage than that. Somewhere close to 80%, the enjoy shooters, is what I read, with 99% of boys and 96% of girls playing video games of any sort.

#389 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,567 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

You could go a step further with social media etc. We might be connected digitally but we aren't as connected emotionally. That's key because the ability for a community to connect creates not just closeness but a proper value one anothers life. If you are isolated from others it makes it easier to not value them and thus could make it easier to kill.

There are just a host of factors at play. At some point like the game Tetris the stacking of all the factors come crashing don at some point.

#390 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,472 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Pssst guns are a problem....if you are a sociopath

Fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users