• Please log in to reply
511 replies to this topic

#406 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,442 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

Bad idea on the safe thing. In no way do I need to have to access a safe to protect myself, family, and property from an intruder.

I've thought about that, but man, I've also thought about the statistics that have shown how many people are killed by their own guns and how many children are accidentally killed by improperly stored guns. I also think about how most intruders try to break-in homes that are unoccupied at the time of break-in. Unless you are Scrooge McDuck and live in a house that screams "if you get inside I have tons of valuable items!" then odds are, most robbers don't want to risk it.

So, I would rather be safe than sorry. If I'm not mistaken, rarely ever are guns used in self-defense in robberies and home invasions. It's rare.

The gun safe law would keep a lot more of these unnecessary events and tragedies from happening and I'd suspect that deaths from home invasions/robberies would remain about the same. Just my opinion.

#407 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

If they attempt a gun grab then it will spill into the streets.

#408 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,442 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

So, if I bust in your house and hold your family at gunpoint, you gonna deny me the guns while I shoot your family one by one?

That's my point... Odds are, if you didn't notice the people outside of your home before they actually break in, you probably are gonna get popped anyway. Having a quickly accessible gun isn't going to make a difference.

Again, most break-ins happen when people aren't home or when the robbers suspect they aren't home.

I'm am all for the right to bear arms, but there has to be some kind of compromise.

With a gun safe law like I'm proposing, it can't be enforced until post-crime technically. So, if you don't want to use a gun safe, have at it... But, if someone gets ahold of your guns and kills someone with them, you should be held liable.

That's all I'm saying. If you don't want someone to get your guns and have you held liable, store them safely and securely where only you have access to them.

#409 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,885 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Think about it.

Now, they can just break in and get guns, jewels, etc. because you don't have a safe. If everyone gets a safe, guess when they will break in at that point? This woman didn't even have a safe and got blown away

#410 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,442 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Think about it.

Now, they can just break in and get guns, jewels, etc. because you don't have a safe. If everyone gets a safe, guess when they will break in at that point? This woman didn't even have a safe and got blown away

It's still a gamble for criminals... How do they know you have a safe? LOL.

I'm willing to bet guys like thefuzz would not abide by this law, so criminals would get an unpleasant surprise if they banked on him abiding by it.

As I said, it's a law that could only be enforced post-crime... So, if you don't want to to use a gun safe it's a risk you have to be willing to accept.

We should have guns, but I think a law like this would keep crime rates around the same numbers because criminals can't trust that every gun owner will obey it, at the same time, I think it will reduce the number of unprovoked murders, mass killings, accidental shootings, etc.

#411 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,958 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

Fixed.

yep

#412 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,885 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

I have a gun safe, but by no means do I have my personal protection in the safe also. It is readily accessible. So I guess I might kill an intruder and then get cited by cops for not having them all in a safe?

I know, I am just playing devils advocate. Nothing easy about the whole situation.

#413 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,442 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

I have a gun safe, but by no means do I have my personal protection in the safe also. It is readily accessible. So I guess I might kill an intruder and then get cited by cops for not having them all in a safe?

I know, I am just playing devils advocate. Nothing easy about the whole situation.

Yeah, there are some holes in the scenario, but I'm just trying to explore some options because something does have to change but taking guns away from responsible gun owners is not the answer.

In my ideal situation here, if a gun safe law like I'm suggesting is passed, I would also make it completely legal to shoot an intruder dead, no questions asked (so long as they were actually breaking in).

I know it's way too many hypotheticals, but again, just trying to explore the possibilities.

#414 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,885 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Both sides need to sit down and try to solve the problem, which could involve much more than just guns.

As has been said before, this country has had guns everywhere for a couple hundred years and all of a sudden, we are killing people in bunches. What has changed?

#415 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Both sides need to sit down and try to solve the problem, which could involve much more than just guns.

As has been said before, this country has had guns everywhere for a couple hundred years and all of a sudden, we are killing people in bunches. What has changed?

No need for muskets?

#416 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,973 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

gazi i think stirs point and he can correct me if im wrong is, guns have been around since the start of our country. yet it seems our value systems and standards are what has changed the most. sure guns are faster or more powerful, but it still has to have a human to use it. i think the human has changed for the worse. after all, a human created a gun no?

#417 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,885 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

he knows, he just likes to be a bit snarky from time to time.

you are exactly correct in your interpretation.

#418 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,885 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

They should probably name the school after this girl. On second thought, they might just need to build a new school and name it for her.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1221004

#419 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

gazi i think stirs point and he can correct me if im wrong is, guns have been around since the start of our country. yet it seems our value systems and standards are what has changed the most. sure guns are faster or more powerful, but it still has to have a human to use it. i think the human has changed for the worse. after all, a human created a gun no?

he knows, he just likes to be a bit snarky from time to time.

you are exactly correct in your interpretation.

I've just been keeping things inside. Better than thinking that we're going down the shitter as a civilization.

#420 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,973 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

i don't think we are going downhill per se. we just don't value the right things as much as we once did. collectively humanity has no patience. we can't wait on anything anymore. so in our lust for more now, it has serious unintended consequences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com