Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pro Football Weekly hearing Chip Kelly to the Panthers

149 posts in this topic

Posted

speaking of the trojans....one of the common assumptions is that sure, the ducks offense works against college teams, but it's unproven against NFL caliber DCs. well, that's not entirely true either. who is the DC for the trojans? none other than monte kiffin.

lets take a look at what this offense has done against kiffin's defense.

2010 (oregon won 53-32...but that's not important)

oregon had 599 yards total offense (311 rushing)

Darron Thomas threw 288 yards 4 TDs, 1 INT

LaMichael James ran 239 yards 3TDs

Thomas ran 42 yards

(top 2 rushers that week)

2011 (oregon lost this one 35-38, but again that doesn't matter in this discussion)

oregon had 462 total yards (265 rushing)

265 yards passing 1 TD and 1 INT

Kenjon Barner had 123 yards rushing and 2 TDs

James had 78 yards rushing and 1 TD

2012 (oregon won 62-51)

730 yards of total offense

Marcus Mariota threw 304 yards, 4 TDs, 0 INTs

Barner ran 123 yards and 5 TDs

Mariota ran 96 yards

and if that's not enough...people keep mentioning how david shaw's stanford team beat oregon this year.

oregon beat them last year with shaw as coach and beat harbaugh's team the year before with who running stanford's defense? Vic Frikkin Fangio...the mastermind running their top NFL defense the last couple years.

so can kelly's offensive genius beat NFL level defensive coordinators? it already has.

Posted

The thing is Kelly runs his running backs out of the read option. That works well when you're playing against the Pac 12. Yet this is the NFL. If you want to run in the NFL, you need your backs to have vision and a running start toward the line. That doesn't happen in the read option. (Of course if you run the read option out of the pistol formation like Washington does, that would be closer to running in the traditional way) Also the best rushing attacks in the NFL, all have fullbacks leading the way. Clearly something we have missed ever since Hoover retired.

I'm a little surprised that many want to hire a guy who runs the read option as his main offense, right after wasting away this year running the exact same thing. Have we learn nothing from this season?

Also, he most certainly will run the Oregon offense here in Carolina.

as i just mentioned, he's run that against monte kiffin and vic fangio quite well already.

Posted

If it is Kelly, he best be finding himself a great d-coordinator.

absolutely.

and that defense better be ready for being on the field 35 minutes a game, because one thing about oregon's offense...regardless of how much it scores, it doesn't eat up a lot of clock.

Posted

But who thinks the odds of a guy completely changes what he does AND making a jump to the NFL.....has high odds of immediate success?

no one is saying that he has to completely change what he does. just refine it a bit.

it won't look exactly the same, but the fundamentals will all be the same...which really isn't all that different from what most teams do, esp. more traditional run first teams. run first to set up the pass. pass to open up the run game more. make the defense pick their poison.

it's just how he pulls that off that's different.

Posted

Jonathan Stewart seemed to do OK in that style of offense. So much so, he was a first round draft pick

Stewart played for Kelly?

Interesting.

1 person likes this

Posted

Interesting.

Kelly became the OC at Oregon during Stew's senior year

Posted

Interesting.

283 carries, 1722 yards rushing, 11 TDs

22 receptions, 145 yards, 2 TDs

in addition to 23 kick returns for 614 yards

Posted

Kelly became the OC at Oregon during Stew's junior year

ftfy.

stewart went into the draft after his junior year.

thought someone might try to nit pick.

Posted

Here's one thing I'm struggling with about Kelly's system...he is known for running very fast, intense practices. But instead of practicing in Oregon or in an indoor facility, he would be doing it outdoors in Spartanburg and Charlotte. And the players won't be 18 to 22, they'll be 24 to 34 year old men. NFL players are stronger and more bulked up than college kids. Are they going to be able to run that system? And if not, what does Kelly then bring to the table that other coaches don't.

I'm not anti-Kelly, but color me less than completely sold that he'll translate to the pros.

Posted

Chip Kelly is at the top of my want list, Rayzor has provided some good reads and info on him that sold me.

Posted

Here's one thing I'm struggling with about Kelly's system...he is known for running very fast, intense practices. But instead of practicing in Oregon or in an indoor facility, he is doing it outdoors in Spartanburg and Charlotte. And the players won't be 18 to 22, they'll be 24 to 34 year old men. NFL players are stronger and more bulked up than college kids. Are they going to be able to run that system? And if not, what does Kelly then bring to the table that other coaches don't.

I'm not anti-Kelly, but color me less than completely sold that he'll translate to the pros.

Two campers come upon an angry bear. The first says, "I'm glad I wore my running shoes." The second says, "you can't outrun the bear." The first says, "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you."

point is...he doesn't have to have the guys he coaches at the pros run as fast as they do in college or for as long. he just has to get their endurance up to outlast the guys they face every week.

his won't be the first hurry up/no huddle offense in the league. other teams have done it for years. the broncos (in denver with thin air) and the pats are doing it.

he'll adjust to what they can do, they'll adjust to what he wants to do.

anyway....i think that the players will be more able to work at that fast pace than what you realize. some will be weeded out, bit these are professionals. they'll be able to get with the program. if they can't do we really need them around?

Posted

because of the NFL's practice rules, Kelly would probably have to tone it down quite a bit