Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodeo

Guns vs. Knives

49 posts in this topic

As already said...make guns harder to get. Require yearly licenses, mental tests, etc. Will it stop all events? No. But NOTHING can stop all the events like this.

You can make every weapon in the world illegal, but I guarantee you I could still get anything I wanted within a week.

Since there is no perfect answer, there only real option IMO is to make them harder to get, and harder to keep.

I'm with Delhommey and pstall's suggestions.

I've long thought some sort of yearly registration and follow ups would make a huge difference. Also, it should be a federal law that guns must be stored in a gun safe. But, as in today's case, the guns were legal and belonged to the mother. There is no way to punish her for whether they were securely stored away or not because she was killed with them.

I just don't know... If we implement such laws now, perhaps it makes a really noticeable difference in about 20 years, but there are just so many guns out there right now, I don't know what it would do in making a difference in the present.

As already said...make guns harder to get. Require yearly licenses, mental tests, etc. Will it stop all events? No. But NOTHING can stop all the events like this.

You can make every weapon in the world illegal, but I guarantee you I could still get anything I wanted within a week.

Since there is no perfect answer, there only real option IMO is to make them harder to get, and harder to keep.

Agreed.

Other than those creating straw men, most people are reasonable and realize there isn't any way to totally eliminate risk in life, whether it relates to firearms or crossing the street.

Having said that we should still do our best to improve things for our families and communities no matter how much special interests try and limit change for their own narrow minded reasons.

Agreed.

Other than those creating straw men, most people are reasonable and realize there isn't any way to totally eliminate risk in life, whether it relates to firearms or crossing the street.

Having said that we should still do our best to improve things for our families and communities no matter how much special interests try and limit change for their own narrow minded reasons.

I wonder if there were people screaming about how we shouldn't have crosswalks or traffic lights and everyone should take personal responsibility for their ability to play frogger across the rush hour highway.

I wonder if there were people screaming about how we shouldn't have crosswalks or traffic lights and everyone should take personal responsibility for their ability to play frogger across the rush hour highway.

To carry that analogy a little further...

http://youtu.be/1V-4YmzffFI

We rush for something to blame, as long as it isn't the batshit crazy person who committed the crime.

What you are implying, Kurb, is that we believe this was a normal, well-adjusted human being. But then he picked up a GUN and it made him go BATSHIT CRAZY! Which literally no one is implying. The people blaming this kind of stuff on video games, however, ARE making that literal argument.

What you are implying, Kurb, is that we believe this was a normal, well-adjusted human being. But then he picked up a GUN and it made him go BATSHIT CRAZY! Which literally no one is implying. The people blaming this kind of stuff on video games, however, ARE making that literal argument.

What I am implying is this guy was a nutjob and would have done this or worse no matter what.

Mentally ill + desensitization to violence + guns are all factors

What I am implying is this guy was a nutjob and would have done this or worse no matter what.

Like the guy in china...who killed no one?

He was nut job...thank god he didn't have nukes and M1 Tanks

More gun registration-check

Assault weapon ban-check

No guns for felons-check

Liability insurance-check

Huge amounts of money for the law abiding citizen into the coffers of government and insurance companies.

Would not have prevented the tragedy from yesterday

CT with strict laws already, Gun owner was killed and her guns stolen. Shooter never registered a gun and never paid all the fees.

Here is where the rub will be. Take away everyones rights and confiscate tons more money from the ones who will never be guilty of the crime

Like the guy in china...who killed no one?

He was nut job...thank god he didn't have nukes and M1 Tanks

Or he could have stolen a propane truck rammed it into the school and lit a road flare.

I know a good bit of me and you going back and forth is in good fun, but do you really think I am so deranged ?