#16 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,676 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

Just make guns harder to get for the nutjobs. In banking if you deposit a certain amount on in a certain way you are flagged and the bank can refuse your business.
Do that here. You buy x amount or a certain weapon you get flagged and now have to complete a medical mental release form. You don't pass you don't get the gun.
Also. Shouldn't buying body armor be for like cops? Just cops?

If you are a felon there are certain jobs you can't get.
Something flat out has to be done and its not as expensive as we would be lead to believe.

#17 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

My problem with these discussions is that we're all wanting something that can never be achieved.

I saw an LOL poster earlier that basically said "Make guns illegal... Works perfectly with Heroine and Meth"

Sure, it is an extremely slanted and light view on the subject, but there is a basic truth to it.

You can legislate the piss out of something all you want, but if someone wants one, they are going to get it.

Knives are one thing. But look at terrorism.

Can't sneak a gun onto a plane? Want to kill a lot of people? Hijack that bitch with a box cutter.

Want to make a statement about how the outside world oppresses you? Build a bomb jacket and head to your local market or public gathering place.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Mentally disturbed people are going to harm others if they want to. No matter the motivation.

#18 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,538 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I don't get why drugs are always brought up for comparison. I mean like it or not making them illegal makes drug use less frequent and that is a fact.

No legislation will prevent 100% of cases from happening. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try to limit them as much as possible.

#19 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,929 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Yep. You use all the tools at your disposal to limit the bad.

#20 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Personally, I think current gun laws make them less frequent too.

I guess my point is... Where does it end? When does responsibility fall upon the individual?

#21 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

I actually agree with Delhommey's points about yearly registrations and such. I'm not really on board with the liability idea, though. I just see that as just another doorway for revenue to flow from responsible people to cover for the actions of irresponsible people... like car insurance... Yes, I agree accidents happen, but there will never be a way to insure everyone with a firearm is paying liability on it.

Those were about the only solutions I've ever seen offered other than "we need to do something!"

Another thing that could possibly be done, but it would have other ramifications (economic mainly) would be to tax/fine the poo out of special interest groups, lobbyists, and firearm manufacturers. I've thought about that, but I think that would actually increase the illegal gun trade, especially in poorer areas (much like the drug trade).

#22 SZ James

SZ James

herd it on routers

• HUDDLER
  • 7,538 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

I really think America is beyond fuged right now. Defeatest attitude, whatever. I've given up on advocating any specific changes because it's too damn late. It's ingrained in the culture. The gun lobby is like the biggest in DC atm. The fuging rigidity of the constitutionalists in this country will never allow any action on a federal level(the only way to really to do it imo). Congress is already deadlocked. Once it's not, no one will care because this will be out of everyone's subcon.

#23 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

I actually agree with Delhommey's points about yearly registrations and such. I'm not really on board with the liability idea, though. I just see that as just another doorway for revenue to flow from responsible people to cover for the actions of irresponsible people... like car insurance... Yes, I agree accidents happen, but there will never be a way to insure everyone with a firearm is paying liability on it.

Those were about the only solutions I've ever seen offered other than "we need to do something!"

Another thing that could possibly be done, but it would have other ramifications (economic mainly) would be to tax/fine the poo out of special interest groups, lobbyists, and firearm manufacturers. I've thought about that, but I think that would actually increase the illegal gun trade, especially in poorer areas (much like the drug trade).

For those individuals that are financially well off, they can arrange for a surety bond, everyone else can pay for insurance to cover liability.

#24 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,605 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

We rush for something to blame, as long as it isn't the batshit crazy person who committed the crime.

It's just a shame the shooter died, because putting him in a comfy cell for 60 years would be the right thing to do.
I mean the Death Penalty, *shivers*.

America goes to extremes every day to guard aginst isolated incidents.
One asshole tries to detonate a shoe bomb at 30,000 feet and we all now have to take our shoes off to get on a plane.
Of course you cant scan everyone who walks onto a school campus, a mall or movie theater.
If it wasn't a gun it would have been a bomb or something else. You can imgine the results of a machete attack on 7 year olds.

I think assault type weapons should be outlawed and removed from society as best as is possible. There's just no good reason why anyone needs one when you consider the alternatives.
Of course I think the same logic applies to Pit Bulls.
And you'll never get the average home defense or sport hand gun or rifle out of circulation, that water is so far down the river it ain't ever coming back.

How could the fugger that did this be helped or diverted before it came to this?
That would be a lot better focus to prevent these tragedies going forward.

#25 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,864 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

As already said...make guns harder to get. Require yearly licenses, mental tests, etc. Will it stop all events? No. But NOTHING can stop all the events like this.

You can make every weapon in the world illegal, but I guarantee you I could still get anything I wanted within a week.

Since there is no perfect answer, there only real option IMO is to make them harder to get, and harder to keep.

#26 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,766 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

I'm with Delhommey and pstall's suggestions.

I've long thought some sort of yearly registration and follow ups would make a huge difference. Also, it should be a federal law that guns must be stored in a gun safe. But, as in today's case, the guns were legal and belonged to the mother. There is no way to punish her for whether they were securely stored away or not because she was killed with them.

I just don't know... If we implement such laws now, perhaps it makes a really noticeable difference in about 20 years, but there are just so many guns out there right now, I don't know what it would do in making a difference in the present.

#27 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

As already said...make guns harder to get. Require yearly licenses, mental tests, etc. Will it stop all events? No. But NOTHING can stop all the events like this.

You can make every weapon in the world illegal, but I guarantee you I could still get anything I wanted within a week.

Since there is no perfect answer, there only real option IMO is to make them harder to get, and harder to keep.

Agreed.

Other than those creating straw men, most people are reasonable and realize there isn't any way to totally eliminate risk in life, whether it relates to firearms or crossing the street.

Having said that we should still do our best to improve things for our families and communities no matter how much special interests try and limit change for their own narrow minded reasons.

#28 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

Agreed.

Other than those creating straw men, most people are reasonable and realize there isn't any way to totally eliminate risk in life, whether it relates to firearms or crossing the street.

Having said that we should still do our best to improve things for our families and communities no matter how much special interests try and limit change for their own narrow minded reasons.

I wonder if there were people screaming about how we shouldn't have crosswalks or traffic lights and everyone should take personal responsibility for their ability to play frogger across the rush hour highway.

#29 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Posted Image http://www.washingto...-united-states/

#30 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,152 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

I wonder if there were people screaming about how we shouldn't have crosswalks or traffic lights and everyone should take personal responsibility for their ability to play frogger across the rush hour highway.

To carry that analogy a little further...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.