Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Bad Were The UNC Losses in Hindsight Now?

43 posts in this topic

Posted

Not knowing the Difference is a problem for UNC fans. NCAA way better then NIT.

Did that simplify it enough for you?

Meh, is a 1st round exit in the tourney really worth that much? I guess its cool if you have a streak going, but I dont really care. You're either competing for a title or you're not

I'm more concerned with this team's development for next year and the year after

Posted

BTW...dook's down years are coming. K won't be there much longer.

I don't think that's the question at hand, and most sane Duke fans agree with that statement. The main statement however deals with Coach K's down years vs. Roy's down years. Roy gets blamed for not being able to coach, not calling his timeouts, going to NITs yada yada. Duke gets caught by a VCU or Lehigh, but it's at least in the tourney.

K/Duke are consistently good to great. Roy/UNC has become a bit of a roller coaster, as it seems like they're either a favorite to win it all (05/07/08/09/11) or NIT bound and playing terrible (10/12). Obviously the down years are few and far between, but Roy has also been known to choke during the tourney (Georgetown game TH's soph. year and the Kansas game the following year).

Posted

It's worth more then a NIT championship.

Posted

It's worth more then a NIT championship.

Who cares? Even State fans arent satisfied with only reaching the tourney (see Herb Sendek)

Posted

Who cares? Even State fans arent satisfied with only reaching the tourney (see Herb Sendek)

Still would rather make the tourney then not.

No matter how your dumb logic tries to spin it. I rather make the tourney.

Posted

I don't think that's the question at hand, and most sane Duke fans agree with that statement. The main statement however deals with Coach K's down years vs. Roy's down years. Roy gets blamed for not being able to coach, not calling his timeouts, going to NITs yada yada. Duke gets caught by a VCU or Lehigh, but it's at least in the tourney.

K/Duke are consistently good to great. Roy/UNC has become a bit of a roller coaster, as it seems like they're either a favorite to win it all (05/07/08/09/11) or NIT bound and playing terrible (10/12). Obviously the down years are few and far between, but Roy has also been known to choke during the tourney (Georgetown game TH's soph. year and the Kansas game the following year).

Roy has never been a great in game coach, and his timeout usage is frankly baffling for a guy who has coached so long. But what is does well he is very good at- recruiting and developing players in his system. Problem is his system needs a good PG to run it- it looks great when Felton, Lawson, or Marshall are running the show, but quite different when you hand the reigns to Bobby Frasor, Larry Drew, or Dexter Strickland (and perhaps Paige, but I'm still holding out hope).

Posted

Still would rather make the tourney then not.

No matter how your dumb logic tries to spin it. I rather make the tourney.

lol I never disputed that K's crappy seasons are better than Roy's crappy seasons.

I just dont give a poo